Aftermarket fog light discussion thread

MazdaSpeeder said:
Does anyone have any experience with melting wires/harnesses due to the use of a 85w or 100w set of fogs? It seems to me that this would be more common with a fog requiring greater power. I'm also assuming that these aftermarket fogs are pretty plug-and-play with the stock harness, enabling use of the foglight switch (if you haven't modded to make it ineffective). Anyone have any thoughts/experience?
According to Mr Magnum, the fogs @ JC Whitney are not plug and play; however, it's just a matter of connecting two wires using whatever means you like.

CATZ rule, make the road in front look like two eggs easy side up.

Picture039.jpg

Picture041.jpg

Picture043.jpg

Last edited:
I replaced my stock fogs with Catz, fitment was great and light output was even better. They were 85w not 55w. Now one of the catz is cracked so I'm removing the fogs and putting in the delete kit.

are those, fog, driving, or spot lights?

i am debating btwn the driving lights and the spot lights. i want the smooth glass of the spots so i might go with those

In case you care about lighting performance, that's a crappy mounting location for driving/spot beams. They project further when mounted higher on the car. It's an ideal location, however, for fogs (which is why Mazda put them there).

i'm stuck getting driving or spots. :( i think i am going to go w/ spots b/c i want the smooth glass. :-\ idk, we'll see

have you melted the wires? i've heard of so many people melting their wires i am almost afraid to buy them now

Just install the wiring/relay kit that's included with the foglights--it will protect your stock wiring harness.

Hey guys, I've been getting some PM's about the aftermarket fogs that are for sale at WWW.JCWHITNEY.COM and for a while back they sold the yellow lenses for the fogs in my sig and avatar, as I was getting some replies I decided to call JCWHITNEY myself to help you guys get the part # for the yellow lenses, but they unfortunatley do not offer them anymore, they still sell the clear lens and the amber lens (which btw are nowhere near yellow, they look exactly like stock turn signals, very orange/amber). So buy the clear smooth lens and buy some decent yellow bulbs and they will work perfrect.

Again, I hooked it up to my stock wiring and for two yrs now run the same bulbs they came with and haven't had any wires melt of any kind.

INFO WWW.JCWHITNEY.COM PART NUMBERS 73ZX6025T (AMBER) & ZX736025T (CLEAR).

PICS: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94393<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Hope this helps.

they both come back as amber on my end. only thing i found in clear is the driving lights: ZX890170N

Hey guys, I've been getting some PM's about the aftermarket fogs that are for sale at WWW.JCWHITNEY.COM and for a while back they sold the yellow lenses for the fogs in my sig and avatar, as I was getting some replies I decided to call JCWHITNEY myself to help you guys get the part # for the yellow lenses, but they unfortunatley do not offer them anymore, they still sell the clear lens and the amber lens (which btw are nowhere near yellow, they look exactly like stock turn signals, very orange/amber). So buy the clear smooth lens and buy some decent yellow bulbs and they will work perfrect.

Again, I hooked it up to my stock wiring and for two yrs now run the same bulbs they came with and haven't had any wires melt of any kind.

INFO WWW.JCWHITNEY.COM PART NUMBERS 73ZX6025T (AMBER) & ZX736025T (CLEAR).

PICS: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94393<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Hope this helps.

What kind of bulbs do they use? H3 like the stock ones or something else?(bowdown)

Nothing special about it. It's just a a regular 100 watt H-3 bulb with a fuse. No biggie, but it is bright.

for the lights, it is telling me to tap into the wires for the drls...can i not just tap into the wires for the stock fogs so that the switch in the cabin still works and i dont have to use the switch it came with? Catz btw

i'm in the same boat. my Catz driving lights came in TODAY! i cant wait to get them in! i got the 55w version, and might bump up to the 85w if the stock wiring can handle it. Do i need to use the harness it came with, or can i just use my factory harness and cut the connector??? someone help me out! Thanks

David

for the lights, it is telling me to tap into the wires for the drls...can i not just tap into the wires for the stock fogs so that the switch in the cabin still works and i dont have to use the switch it came with? Catz btw

You can tap into the factory wires.

I have them.(silver one)

Attachments

• P5s.jpg
    P5s.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 383
Back