Valve Body is here...

bumpin_p5

:
2002.5 Mazda Protege5 SportAuto
Hey guys and gals. Got the valve body from Lentech today. I will be putting it in tomorrow and post the results. Here are the pics of the front and back.
UPDATE
IT'S IN!!! Man I cannot believe the difference in the shifting. And I cannot believe how easy this mod was. Great upgrade for the money and the time. Give me a few minutes to try and get something going with the pics on photobucket.

P1050134.jpg
What it looks like after the oil pan is off.
P1050135.jpg
Starting removing bolts, and more tranny fluid started oozing, so I had to give it a few minutes.
P1050136.jpg
Valve Body hanging by the wires from the solenoids. This is the point where I actually wrote out on paper where each connector goes, so I wasn't clueless after I took them off.
P1050137.jpg
Starting the transfer of the solenoids to the new valve body.
P1050138.jpg
After removing the 10mm bolts, I used a small screwdriver to pry the solenoids out, very carefully.
P1050139.jpg
What a shift solenoid looks like.
P1050140.jpg
Putting the solenoids into the new valve body.
P1050141.jpg
Turned the valve body around to insure correct installation of the remaining solenoids. New one is on left.
P1050142.jpg
Removing last solenoid, YAY!
P1050143.jpg
There are servo acculmators or something like that. Make sure you have the right one in the right hole when you reinstall valve body. You can find out which one is correct, by looking in the tech manual. Also, ensure that the parking assist lever is in the slot where it goes, this is also in the tech manual.

That's it. If there really is a need for a how-to on this. I can make a new thread and make a better how to with better illustrations and more info. Thanks.

Attachments

• P1050132.JPG
    P1050132.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 240
  • P1050133.JPG
    P1050133.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
oooohohohohohohOhohohohohOhohohO!!!! DUDE take lots of pics, A write up of what you have to do to swap and what kind of gains you get would be FAHKING awesome.

SlowPro98 said:
oooohohohohohohOhohohohohOhohohO!!!! DUDE take lots of pics, A write up of what you have to do to swap and what kind of gains you get would be FAHKING awesome.
I will try my best to take some pics, but I prefer not to take pics with greasy hand and what not, I don't think there will be any gains. I am just gaining the ability to boost 6.5 psi without hurting my tranny. the swap should be simple. I will try to do a write up on it.

Kansei said:
Wow automatic transmissions are ridiculously complicated.
Yeah but after 1000s of dollars and couple 100 hours labor an automatic transmission can whoop a manual with the same engine setup anyday. lol

Maybe.. for a crazy fast drag car where the gear shifts come faster than a person could anticipate, yeah, an automatic is sensible.. not quite the same style automatic as our little econoboxes optionally came equipped with though :p

But I want to see the results. I've thought about lentech, just haven't had the$$ to act on it.

Kansei said:
Maybe.. for a crazy fast drag car where the gear shifts come faster than a person could anticipate, yeah, an automatic is sensible.. not quite the same style automatic as our little econoboxes optionally came equipped with though :p
Like I said after 1000s of dollars. I am sure no one would be dumb enough to dump loads of cash into the auto tranny of a protege5. I was just referring to cars in general. I have never seen a manual car at the local drag strip. well never seen one that could run under 11.5

bumpin_p5 said:
Like I said after 1000s of dollars. I am sure no one would be dumb enough to dump loads of cash into the auto tranny of a protege5. I was just referring to cars in general. I have never seen a manual car at the local drag strip. well never seen one that could run under 11.5

i dont understand? isnt this part for your auto tranny? so why is it dumb?

Automagics are voodoo. As far as I'm concerned, they're powered by magic lol. Crazy ass complicated deals.

What exactly is the valve body supposed to fix / do?
bazooka joe said:
lol

aMaff said:
Automagics are voodoo. As far as I'm concerned, they're powered by magic lol. Crazy ass complicated deals.

What exactly is the valve body supposed to fix / do?

lol
Raises the fluid pressure therefore making the tranny shift faster and reducing friction and heat, again therefore, making it capable of handling a litle more power.

well there has been a set back. I got to looking at the valve body and wondering why there wasn't any solenoids in it. according to the website the new valve body is supposed to come with them, so I gotta put this off until next weekend and call them on Monday. Sucks.

Damn. . .

And you're right, with an automatic and turbo are a nice combo (just not necessarily "our" automatic). They keep the turbo spool'd and the power on.

What other mods are you doing to your auto? New torque converter?

Little Beavis said:
Damn. . .

And you're right, with an automatic and turbo are a nice combo (just not necessarily "our" automatic). They keep the turbo spool'd and the power on.

What other mods are you doing to your auto? New torque converter?
well, funds have run dry right now. I am going to be slowing down on the modding. I am thinking of lowering springs next. I don't think I will be getting a torque convertor done for a while, that costs a bit of money. and I really dont need it.

bumpin_p5 said:
well, funds have run dry right now. I am going to be slowing down on the modding. I am thinking of lowering springs next. I don't think I will be getting a torque convertor done for a while, that costs a bit of money. and I really dont need it.

Thats nice, but lentech told me when i asked them about a valve body upgrade, unless your pushing more then 8-10 PSI it really isnt worth it also they had stated our torque converters are solid until 180-200 WHP.

But alas please let me know what happens! i know i've stuck with your turbo build and you and i have the same car, same type of trans.

Also ever though about investing into a transmission cooler as well? im running a flex-a-lite, i cant tell any difference in shifting. but im sure its doing its job keep the tranny a little cooler.

so did you talk to lentech about the missing solenoids? what did they say....i probably going to upgrade this spring...watching your thread here!!

bazooka joe said:
so did you talk to lentech about the missing solenoids? what did they say....i probably going to upgrade this spring...watching your thread here!!
They arent open today so I emailed them and I will call them as well. I am known for bugging the s*** out of companies if you **** up an order. this s*** pisses me off. I am tired of feathering my damn gas pedal to suit my tranny. I guess it will be another whole 1-2 weeks. This ******* s*** pisses me off so bad. AS for what Matthew said
Dude if you are going to be boosting 5psi or over and really getting into it, it is recommended that you upgrade the valve body. Taht is the cheapest way to insure that your tranny will not **** up. Incase you guys didnt know the valve body increases the transmission fluid pressure in the transmission and reduces friction and heat, therefore extending the life of your transmission.
excuse my cussing and mistyping, I am currently under the influence.

Last edited:
Back