What have you done to your Miata today?

yup, i don't think the AFM is fixed. It's firing on all4 now after i cleaned up the spark plug and wire but it is still rough, and i think i hear a knock too since it isn't running right.

So. . . i get to go find an AFM i guess and see if it works. Looks like the Protege gets a tag Monday

Like muff said, you're valve cover gasket is leaking. That's why the plug holes are full of oil.

Replace the plugs and wires. Since they've been sitting in oil for a while, they're likely making a poor connection to each other therefore causing a misfire.

From the way you describe things, it does sound like the connections to the AFM are also wrecked. Swap it out to avoid any quesses.

Last edited:
gonna attempt a "patch fix" and resolder the connectors onthe AFM, see if i can at least get it running well enough to get to the scrap yard to see if there is another there

Success!! Resoldered the pins back onto the PC board on the AFM and i'm back to "Normal" idle, aka 1200 rpm

and no misfire after cleaning out the spark plug, but did smoke out all the oil that drained into the engine when i removed teh spark plug

SO, valve cover is going to get picked up tonight and replaced

Kinda wishing I had a stock NB right now....I'd have something to do! I'm gonna put the Enthuza XR on tomorrow. I hope it sounds "clean"

017_G_002.jpg

well ive had mine for a few months now. im only 19 and owning 2 cars going to school and working 40 hrs a week isnt easy...none the less i have bought koni yellows, ground control coilovers (450,375) and i have the backs installed at this time. also got an rx7 (fc) steering wheel and asa coilovers. Stripped the trunk, power steering, and ac. im looking at a set of s2000 seats for it as well as a turbo kit. i need a new roll bar and top too. pic to come soon

I may get mine back today... we'll see.

EDIT: After seeing the pic from the body shop, it may be true...

4202698347_cdbeb0017d_o.jpg

Last edited:
Nice Phen. Too bad you won't be able to drive it till spring.

Took the summer rims to the tire shop and pulled the old tires off. Next to find a place to powder coat them for spring.

Yeah... I know. There's another cool Miata owner local to my new place and she suggested going for a drive before Christmas wearing santa hats and the top down. I may do that if there's no snow.

Yeah... I know. There's another cool Miata owner local to my new place and she suggested going for a drive before Christmas wearing santa hats and the top down. I may do that if there's no snow.

thats not a bad idea.

I think I can sucker my freind into doing ti with me

Hmmm bought some Prosport gauges last night

Hopefully they are good

anyone got any input on Prosport gauges?

not too sure about placement of the gauges. That looks like a lot of panning back and forth to see engine vitals. I like my eyes on the road....Plus what do you do about on cold nights/hot days?

not too sure about placement of the gauges. That looks like a lot of panning back and forth to see engine vitals. I like my eyes on the road....Plus what do you do about on cold nights/hot days?

lol...seriously?
I have NO A/C. I just drop the top on the hot days.
On cold days, I have the heater core still...I usually run the defroster and foot vent. I usually have the car in the garage, so I open up the garage door and let her warm up.

I went for stealth, and plenty of people install the gauges there.

Back