What have you done to your Miata today?

I just trew a dash mat on top of the old one. It does'nt look too bad..... but it'll do until I find a new one minus the cracks.

Did a little ding removal today. Driver front fender had a nice one, thanks to a jackass that did'nt know how park!!! Ironically, his crappy KIA suffered more damage than mine!
Plus.... I also got my whole whiper washer system working(new lines, plastic fasteners, spray nozzles). It's nice to be able to wash crap of my windshield again.:p

Gave the engine a good cleaning...but missed taping off my altenator power cable and now the batt charge & anti lock lights are on...I checked by disconnecting the cable while the car was running while a vehicle maintenance guy from work was checking it out with me. The lights went off when we did that...so I'm leaving it unplugged & I will reset the electrical system tomorrow morning by disconnecting the battery. I also repainted the valve cover back to red. I also took apart the turbo pipes and polished the s*** outta them...looks great now. I went ahead and took off the wheels and sanded them down & repainted them black. I sanded the crap out of the lips and polished them to a nice shiny silver. I am working on a very TASTEFUL graphics package...not really a package...but just a stripe...not like pinstripe...once I get it...it will tie the black and orange together properly.
I also installed the 2nd harness for the passenger to use ;)
Next up is a nice exhaust to compliment everything and kill the nasty exhaust seeping into my trunk and dirtying up the rear of the car. Also on the "update" list...I wished I never had pulled out my carpet now...but I NEED to redo the interior. I am on the hunt for a center bezel. And finally...an EMS system...and then unto the dyno she goes!
Yeah...take that take that...like P.Diddy.

Last edited:
Let me add something to my above post....
My altenator was shot...as far as I know it's the original from 1991 & it's day came. So, I replaced it today. It was all crusty and rusty looking...lol.
Ordered my radio bezel surround thingee...$70 shipped brand new.
My appointment with Tuning Trkiye will be tonight @ 9pm. Yay.
There is also a tuning show in town & I got free passes to go check it out tomorrow....so looking forward to that. Everyday I drive past for work...so it's been tempting the s*** outta me.

The shoot went great. I can't get the pro pics until after they publish the mag next month. I looked @ a few lastnight & everyone should invest in a good digital SLR cam, a tripod & a handheld flash bulb...the car looked amazing after I washed & waxed the piss out of it!
woot!

pro'ly not what you want to hear, but after I changed the oil and filter(mobil1 and a qt of Lucas oil additive) I took the ol' girl out for a thrashing on a little piece of twisty near the house. Stopped by a friends to help him wire the lights in his new 30x30 pole barn (looks like the Garage-ma-hal) and then thrashed her back to my place. It's amaizing what you can do with little power, good handling and nearly bald tires. I cant wait for the snow to fly so I can get some money for the LS-1 swap.

Hey KCBHIW what sizes and brand are the rims on the white miata? i love those

I'm selling my protege to get a miata again, i sold mine cuz it had over 220,xxx miles and needed some engine work

Any hints for springs and exhaust/muffler for a 1.6 miata?

thx!

The spring / exhaust question varies. What are you planning on using it for? Daily driving? Autocross? Road Course? etc.

I'm selling my protege to get a miata again, i sold mine cuz it had over 220,xxx miles and needed some engine work

thx!

See below:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They're 3-peice Panasports. Super light and expensive. They wouldn't last long on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM-P5
On the white CSP car in your sig...what wheels are those? Surely not stock.

I use a Thermal on my 97 (1.8L) - excellent fitment, great looks, nice deep rumble without having the annoying fartpipe sound found on most 4 cylinder engines. Fully stainless steel and fully polished.

As far as suspension, the Flyin Miata springs with KYB AGX shocks is probably the best budget set up. There are other combos but they either lower the car too much, not enough, or the spring rates don't match the shock valving. Just make sure you purchase rear NB upper mounts or aftermarket mounts for extra shock travel in the rear, otherwise you'll ride on the bump stops.

thx!

JDM-P5 pretty much summed it up. They are 13x9 Panasports that I borrowed from a friend for a few events. They weigh about 9 lbs per wheel.

As an alternative, take a look at the 13x8 Rota RB's. I currently employ a set of RB's for competition.

Rota_RB_Kumho_V710%20001.jpg

JDM-P5 pretty much summed it up. They are 13x9 Panasports that I borrowed from a friend for a few events. They weigh about 9 lbs per wheel.

As an alternative, take a look at the 13x8 Rota RB's. I currently employ a set of RB's for competition.

Rota_RB_Kumho_V710%20001.jpg

Panasports got it! now about exhaust for the 1.6.. i remember my old miata didn't have resonator.. and had a Sebring tuning muffler on.. results were almost no torque and too loud. (btw not sure if the previous owner went for bigger pipes too) cuz like i said the car had no torque.. had to rev to high to make it take off

We all now that if you modify your exhaust you always lose torque, so i was wondering how would be performance/noise by just removing resonator and leaving everything else stock.

Last edited:
removing resonator would remove backpressure... so less torque more noise...

We all now that if you modify your exhaust you always lose torque.

False.

removing resonator would remove backpressure... so less torque ...

Also false.

The 1.6 Miata did not have a resonator, but just a catalytic converter and muffler. Backpressure is nothing more than restriction. Exhaust velocity is key to proper scavenging (combustion cylinder evactuation). An appropriate length and well designed header will yeild good results. A well designed post-header exhaust with free flowing muffler and cat will aid with maintaining proper exhaust gas velocity.

False.

Also false.

The 1.6 Miata did not have a resonator, but just a catalytic converter and muffler. Backpressure is nothing more than restriction. Exhaust velocity is key to proper scavenging (combustion cylinder evactuation). An appropriate length and well designed header will yeild good results. A well designed post-header exhaust with free flowing muffler and cat will aid with maintaining proper exhaust gas velocity.

I don't think is false, restriction means back pressure, then if you remove any stock item you will have no torque, meanwhile you gain some HP.

Then if the 1.6 doesn't have a resonator i think my old miata had bigger pipes then? idk (add that to the sport muffler, even less back pressure) plus my noise was pretty loud.

Let's put it this way: when I first had the the supertrapp installed (adjustable flow / noise), I had it corked down pretty well to keep the noise down (ie. lots of back pressure). The car had no get up and go. When I opened it up 50% (from 6 disks to 9), the car had WAY more torque and power, because the exhaust velocity had been optimized. Dyno tests show this. And it actually makes a little more power when it's wide open instead of with the 9 disks, so even less back pressure (it makes over 100 dB like that tho, so I'm not ever gonna run it like that lol).

so if we had a car show at an Atlanta Mazda dealer would anyone be interested and attend. My name is Keith and I am trying to get interested Mazda owners to come out to a dealership sponsored car show. Let me know if you are interested.

Hey Keith, you may have better luck posting in the Georgia forum. To answer the question tho, I think we can get a pretty decent turnout from the area.

Redid my interior finally.
The new center panel is installed. I ran the boost gauge & a/f gauge in the center vents for an extremely clean look. Tomorrow, going to install the egt in the driver side air vent. Going to relocate the turbo timer from under the steering column to a plastic dummy plate below the head unit. Next on the list is carpet/mats & an exhaust. Ordered the headlamp bezels $10 for a pair....the lamps currently look like skeletons without them.

Oh yeah...need to take pics.
Here's one Ani took from my last track day:
Philstart-1.jpg

Last edited:
Back