What have you done to your Miata today?

We want pictars!!

ok, remember that problem with my rear wheel shaking? Replaced the control arms. No more shakey.

Also, a set of homebrew low-profile headlights were installed today. Had issues with the lights popping up and sitting back down...after tinkering around, the bumpstops were to blame & now it works perfect. Pics coming soon.

Radiator on the way (Griffin circle track crossflow 24x16x3). Intercooler on the way(24x12x3). I'm excited because it's been a long while since I got shiny parts...

Sweet deal! I changed the front oil seal on the 'old' transmission yesterday in preparation for putting this trans BACK in the car. Ugh, 1 more tranny job ftl

Hello...

Just joined the mazda world....

05 Mazdaspeed Miata

27K miles

2008_0128Random0001.jpg

Probably gonna do the 30K tuneup before i start pushin her to hard =)

I pulled the 'new' used POS tranny out yesterday. The original one with new seals should be going in tomorrow or wednesday.

lol
She's been in Maxim & Stuff....she's hot.
[OT]I saw some pics of her. Man, she needs to eat some corn bread or something. Way too skinny. but a pretty smile.[/url]

Back on topic. New radiator is in. And according to my FedEx notification, the intercooler was delivered at 1:36pm

cool deal. (2thumbs)

What tune up?

Simple stuff Spark plugs, complete fluid flush, i don't like the generic stuff they use at carmax... they didn't even fill my wiper fluid =( just curious if any of the other miatas have had issues with no front plate... i "lost" the bracket that mine would use to go on...

hehe, My bracket for my front tag 'broke' so i kept it in the trunk. never had an issue.

Last night I prepped the original transmission for going back in the car. It's still dirty as hell, but at least it works properly (ugly but effective?). Checked for any leaks and fortunately there didn't seem to be any, which is good lol. I also did a quick once over of the entire car, as I've done a pretty significant amount of work here recently. Only thing I've found so far was the plug wires were crossed on the 1/4 coil pack. Does that even really matter on a wasted spark setup? Anyway, later on I'm going to go around and ensure that all the suspension bolts are still tight now that the car has a few miles on her.

And next paycheck hopefully, I'll be able to dyno the car again. We'll see how t3h bills look. The new exhaust Kevin fabbed up for me is pretty much amazing. It's a race car, so loudness isn't really a HUGE issue (and it is loud). Kevin and my car have very similar exhausts (ie, header, cat, and same cat-back), only his is a 1.8. He passed our sound restrictions, so I hope I will too haha. Damn thing only weights 5.5 lbs and from what I can tell, flows like a mo-fo. I guess what I had on before was really restrictive. I don't know if it was the flange, the crush bent tubing, or the supertrapp or what, because something was choking it up. The throttle response the car has now is ridiculous, and it pulls harder than the protege, which wasn't the case before. I don't think it makes a hellofa lot more power, but I think the proverbial area under the curve saw a decent bump. Yes, I know it weighs about 4-500 lbs less than the protege (2130 lbs, for the record), which is a big factor, but I've never chirped the tires in 2nd before in the miata, soooo something's different.

http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a247/amaff/Miata/?action=view&current=IMG_1174.jpg
http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a247/amaff/Miata/?action=view&current=IMG_1176.jpg

FYI, 3" thick radiator and a 3" thick intercooler takes up a lot of room... lol But I'll never have to worry about those again.

Took the MSM out for a spin and got plastered by a flock of sea gulls who just had lunch.

That sucked.

Redid the core support after rethinking everything. I've decided to raise the radiator and intercooler and have the intercooler pipes run under. That way if/when I do have 'off', if there is damage, the pipes are cheaper and easier to replace than the intercooler or radiator. Also the higher mounting will make it easier to make the extraction hood :) The radiator is a Griffin 24x16x3 universal 'Ford' style, and uses saddle mounts. I put rubber pad down to cushion it (just held in place with tape for now until I take it all apart and paint it).

Attachments

• core1.JPG
    core1.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 396
  • core2.JPG
    core2.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 385
  • core3.JPG
    core3.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 386
  • core5.JPG
    core5.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 401
Last edited:
You weren't kidding! That is a chunky I/C. It's coming together nicely. I look forward to more progress pics :).

+1 on that fmic.
However, I noticed something rather odd.
It appears as though you will have to run your IC pipes down before you can go up. It may pose a problem with clearance...?

I got my cat back to day...installing tomorrow.
pics WILL come...I know i have been procrastinating.

clearance? I have a whole 4.5". that's plenty unless I confuse the Miada with my truck and take it off road... ;)

oh non lowered eh? LOL.
So I installed the the exhaust yesterday.
It weighs in @ 14kg ~ 30lbs or so.
Weight wasn't really an issue since the car was stripped down, but since I'm putting the interior back in its been on my mind...anyhow after installing there was a slight figment issue that the local exhaust shop fixed for me. The car no longer sounds like a camel in heat and the exhaust looks awesome.
Kevin if you remember what the car sounded like last time you saw it, its totally different. Its quiet as a mouse but overall pleasure factor is still there.
The wifey actually enjoys driving in the yata now. No more fumes and we can actually put the windows up and not die LOL. We can hear each other speak and that is a plus also.
Monday my mechanic & I are going to strip everything out and pressure wash everywhere we suspect exhaust soot got in. That's gonna be fun in the cold.
After that its time to change plugs, wires & some other stuff. Of course more aftermarket parts are in the works.
Oh yeah scored some brilliant black mirrors to swap the crap ones out with. $75 for the pair.
So she is coming along slowly but surely.

Last edited:
No, it's lower 1.5" :)

Wifey? I didn't know you got married man. Last I heard you met some girl over in Turkey, congrats.

Back