VersaTuner - tuning software for Mazdas
VersaTuner - tuning software for Mazdas
Page 564 of 564 FirstFirst ... 64464514554562563564
Results 8,446 to 8,453 of 8453

Thread: What have you done to your Miata today?

'81 RX-7 GS, '00 Miata SE, '06 RX-8 GT (wife's), '15 CX-5 GT AWD

Had my youngest help me bleed the brakes and clutch this morning. I also calibrated the O2 sensor and inspected the bottom of the car. Finally, I did some prep for installing the flaps on my radiator fan shroud. I'll have some pictures of that once I get around to doing the job.

A job helping a friend of my wife's move got postponed so this afternoon I decided to go ahead and install the fan shroud flaps. First step was to determine how large I wanted to make the opening. I settled on 5 mm less tn the bottom and sides, and 10 mm less at the top. This would give me overlap for sealing, as well as allowing me to bolt it at the top. These flaps come with rubber fingers that are meant to hold the flap in place, but I'm running a Lexan shroud which is a lot thicker than the normal metal shrouds these are used on. Once that was done I cut a template and laid it out:

Next step was to drill holes at the corners of the opening, this provides stress relief while cutting the Lexan (and it will also stop any crack from propagating should you do something wrong):

I then started to cut along the lines. Initially I tried using my Dremel with a cut-off wheel, however it was just melting the Lexan. Next I tried this:

That did the trick. There was still some melting but unless you are using some sort of cooling fluid or going exceptionally slow I don't see how you can avoid this. Got both openings cut out and then needed to clean things up.

I tried using a single-edged razor blade which worked, but at some damage to my fingers. I then figured I'd try my straight cutters:

Those worked great. Once I had the edges trimmed I used a sanding wheel on the Dremel and a file to finish the clean-up.

Since I was going to be bolting the flaps in place I wanted something to spread the load out to avoid cracking of the Lexan and to positively hold the flaps in place. I have some thin aluminum lying around so cut four strips out of that. Drilled three holes in each, located the strips on the shroud and drilled the holes in it. Finally I put it all together with some M4 screws and nyloc nuts. The hardest part of this was getting holes punched in the flaps, the rubber used is pretty tough. When all was said and done, I ended up with this:

It isn't the prettiest thing I've ever done, but I found cracking on the attachment tabs on the shroud so I'm not sure how much more life it has anyway. I doubt anyone will be looking at it that closely in any case given the location of the flaps on the shroud.

2005 Mazda3 2.3

NICE! its functional and probably cheaper than buying the parts so i think it looks awesome!

'86 RX-7 Base, '79 RX-7 GS

Very cool! That's something I've thought about doing as well. It's probably best to get the car running and log some coolant temperatures first, though.
    '13 Ford Flex Limited - DD
    '10 Volkswagen Jetta TDI - Dieselgate (yes, we're keeping it)
    '86 Mazda RX-7 Base - Project
    '79 Mazda RX-7 GS - Antique
    '11 Mazda 2 Touring (DD) - SOLD
    '09 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4 (Hauler) - SOLD
    '02 Mazda Protege5 - (Turbocharged, 215 whp, 220 wtq) - SOLD
    '01 Mazda Protege LX 1.6L (Wife's) - SOLD
    '89 Mazda RX-7 GXL (Project) - SOLD
    '86 Toyota Pickup 2WD (DD/Hauler) - SOLD

Donated: $40

2016 Miata Club, 2004 MSM, 2014 CX5 Touring, Honda 1976 XL 175

Nice work "chief"! Never thought of doing that myself!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

muffled screams
    Protege5 & Motorsports Moderator

1992 Miata / 2003 Pathfinder

Not sure I like acrylic for a shroud, but the blowout panels are a good idea.
    ~Andrew
    Atlanta Region SCCA
    114 DP

Quote Originally Posted by thejeans View Post
    NICE! its functional and probably cheaper than buying the parts so i think it looks awesome!
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by magnumP5 View Post
    Very cool! That's something I've thought about doing as well. It's probably best to get the car running and log some coolant temperatures first, though.
    It was pretty easy with the tools I have.

Quote Originally Posted by bazooka joe View Post
    Nice work "chief"! Never thought of doing that myself!
    I can't take credit for the idea, just the execution. I got the flaps from Summit Racing, they are only a couple of bucks apiece.

Quote Originally Posted by aMaff View Post
    Not sure I like acrylic for a shroud, but the blowout panels are a good idea.
    I got a good deal on the shroud, some guy had made them and had one sitting around. With as thick as it is I didn't think it would be an issue, but like I said I found stress cracking on the mounts when I pulled it. Now I have to see if one of the folks who sell the complete setup will sell me just a shroud (I have two nice Spal fans so I'm set with that).

muffled screams
    Protege5 & Motorsports Moderator

1992 Miata / 2003 Pathfinder

Quote Originally Posted by chiefmg View Post
    With as thick as it is I didn't think it would be an issue, but like I said I found stress cracking on the mounts when I pulled it.
    Yeah, acrylic can be a pain in the ass. Very brittle. Almost as bad as working with glass. I could potentially see ABS or Lexan working.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Page 564 of 564 FirstFirst ... 64464514554562563564