CorkSport.com is MAZDA PERFORMANCE!
CorkSport.com is MAZDA PERFORMANCE!
Page 583 of 590 FirstFirst ... 83483533573581582583584585 ... LastLast
Results 8,731 to 8,745 of 8849

Thread: What have you done to your Miata today?

'86 RX-7 Base, '79 RX-7 GS

Quote Originally Posted by aMaff View Post
    Blech. Maybe I'll actually tear this thing down and a) learn something about transmissions (I get how they work conceptually, but as far as how it's put together, it's kind of a black box to me), and if it's nothing too bad (HA!!!) maybe replace the part and have another spare.
    It's really not that bad. Just SO. MANY. PIECES. You're going to need a couple special tools to completely disassemble and reassemble it. Disassembly is obviously easier but you're going to need a way to pull bearings and clutch hubs off the main and counter shafts. I use a two-jaw puller and made up some extra-long arms (like 16 in.). There's a 32 mm nut on the main shaft that holds everything together. During disassembly you can probably get it off with a large adjustable wrench (it's on there with more than 100 ft lb) but to re-assemble you're going to need a super-extra-long deep well socket. I have a ton of exploded N/A RX7 transmission pictures and the Miata box is very, very similar.
    '13 Ford Flex Limited
    '10 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
    '86 Mazda RX-7 Base (Photos)
    '79 Mazda RX-7 GS (Photos)
    '11 Mazda 2 Touring - SOLD
    '09 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4 - SOLD
    '02 Mazda Protege5 - SOLD
    '01 Mazda Protege LX 1.6L - SOLD
    '89 Mazda RX-7 GXL (Photos) - SOLD
    '86 Toyota Pickup 2WD - SOLD

'81 RX-7 GS, '00 Miata SE, '06 RX-8 GT (wife's), '15 CX-5 GT AWD

I spoke too soon about the driver's airbag delete being a success. Beginning of the week I saw the light flashing six times, which is the code for the driver's airbag. I decided to just get the resistor arrangement from Garage Star. That came in two days ago so I pulled the one I had made (checked the resistance of that and it was 0.5 ohms), swapped over the connector and plugged that sucker in. No joy, the damn thing still flashed. Note I checked the resistance of the GS part before installing and it was 3.6-3.7 ohms. I removed the part and checked the resistance again with the factory connector in place and it read 0.5 ohms. So this morning I took the connectors that GS uses, opened them up so I could put them back on and then took the factory connector off. Before I did anything else I checked resistance of the GS piece and it was back to the same as my initial measurement. I checked for continuity between the ends of the factory connector and both were normal. I also checked the resistance of the resistor I used when I made mine up and it was 3.4 ohms. I have no idea why this wasn't working using the factory connector but oh well. Put the GS connectors back on and soldered the wires for good measure, then put it all back together. I'll find out later if it works or not.

Donated: $10

2008 MX5 SE 33Y/2016.5 CX-5 GT 42M/2010 3i T 38L/2008 3s GT 34N

So whats the verdict Chief?

I swapped out the Hella Sharptones for a Marco air horn from Thompson.

The Hellas stopped working and pretty sure it was the relay. I wasnt happy with them from the beginning so opted to replace them rather than mess around with them. I am much happier now.

Donated: $40
    Miata & NEMOC Moderator

2016 Miata Club, 2004 MSM, 2014 CX5 Touring, Honda 1976 XL 175

Quote Originally Posted by CTt3P5 View Post
    So whats the verdict Chief?

I swapped out the Hella Sharptones for a Marco air horn from Thompson.

The Hellas stopped working and pretty sure it was the relay. I wasnt happy with them from the beginning so opted to replace them rather than mess around with them. I am much happier now.
    Got that one too...beep, beep!

Yeah, I had it on my P5 too. Should have gone with it initially for the Miata but thought I'd give the Hellas a try. Live and learn.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

I had a set of Supertones for a bit but didn't feel like they were loud enough so went back to my usual Fiamms.

I thought I answered you Jeff, but the airbag light was still on. I tried disconnecting the battery and checked the resistance before putting it all back together, but that didn't work either. Pulled it all out, reset the clockspring just in case I had messed that up and then put it all back together. Airbag light was out for a few drive cycles but it is back on. Time for some head scratching to see where that gets me.

The 'charger belt has been moving off by one tooth since I put her all back together. I tried a small adjustment with no success, so this morning I pulled it off completely to move the brackets around. Took a couple of tries to get it where it needed to be but finally got it done. I'll wait for a road test with some speed changes to see if it will be okay or need some more fettling.

Miata & NEMOC Moderator

What have you done to your Miata today?

The MSM is back out on the front lawn for sale. Had a couple of more serious inquiries, but a recent oil pan leak has scared them away. If I can’t sell it as is, I’ll have to fix it myself in the off season, oh well.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2005 Mazda3 2.3

Quote Originally Posted by bazooka joe View Post
    The MSM is back out on the front lawn for sale. Had a couple of more serious inquiries, but a recent oil pan leak has scared them away. If I can’t sell it as is, I’ll have to fix it myself in the off season, oh well.
    same thing scared away a serious buyer from mine. a leak around the oil pan...

So what I'm reading is MSMs are leakers?

'charger belt has been staying in place so that is good. Unfortunately there has been some damage to the front edge from it walking so I'll get another one to replace it with.

Scraped a couple of the diffuser fins last night leaving the driveway of one of my wife's friends. No major damage but I will have to lightly sand and repaint the damage.

I've been doing some research on adjusting my VE tables. Finally manned up and made some changes to see what I could do. I am happy to report that it was an improvement. AFRs under boost are still high, but the gas smell is almost gone and she felt a little stronger. Now that I feel confidant in making changes I'll be doing more.

Miata & NEMOC Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by chiefmg View Post
    So what I'm reading is MSMs are leakers?

'charger belt has been staying in place so that is good. Unfortunately there has been some damage to the front edge from it walking so I'll get another one to replace it with.

Scraped a couple of the diffuser fins last night leaving the driveway of one of my wife's friends. No major damage but I will have to lightly sand and repaint the damage.

I've been doing some research on adjusting my VE tables. Finally manned up and made some changes to see what I could do. I am happy to report that it was an improvement. AFRs under boost are still high, but the gas smell is almost gone and she felt a little stronger. Now that I feel confidant in making changes I'll be doing more.
    Funny one!!! Glad to hear the car is running better....

Miata & NEMOC Moderator

What have you done to your Miata today?

Got her all cleaned up for Miata day tomorrow at Larz Anderson museum in Brookline MA. I’m hopeful I’ll garner more interest in her there....and catch up with all my fellow Miata enthusiasts!

muffled screams
    Protege5 & Protege FS Moderator

1992 Miata / 2003 Pathfinder

I told mine I was disappointed in it for not installing the not-broken transmission while I was out of the country for a couple weeks (unamused)
    ~Andrew
    Atlanta Region SCCA
    114 DP

Oh sure, blame the poor car for your slacking off!

Finally got my thumb out today and measured the resistance of the stock driver's airbag. It showed 0.3 ohms. Now everyone and their brother say to use a 3.3 ohm resistor when you remove the airbag which is a lot different. The GS one I bought measured at 3.6 ohms, the ones I previously tried were 3.3 ohms. I'm not the best with electrical stuff but I can get some 0.3 ohm resistors cheaply from Amazon, so I'm going to give that a shot.

Drove 630.3 miles round trip (through five states) to attend Miata Day at the Larz Anderson Auto Museum in Brookline, MA. Met Mark and a few new people but wish I would have introduced myself to more people. Guess I will just have to go again next year.

Hit some t-storms on the way in and the way home but weather for the show was hot and sunny.

Damn Mike, hope those new resistors work for you.

That looked like fun.

Since I am now headed for MATG, this morning I got my Recaros out of storage and swapped them out. Dropped one of the washers I had modified to use as a spacer for the belt receiver, a diligent search couldn't find it. Made another one and got that all together.

While the driver's seat was out I pulled the brake and clutch pedal switches that tie into the cruise control system. Since I have changed everything else with no change I figured might as well. The one on the brake pedal has two switches, one for the brake light actuation and the other for the cruise. Both of those tested good. The clutch switch was intermittent while I was measuring it. Sometimes I would get continuity/break, other times it would stay in continuity. Going to get one of those ordered to see if I can finally fix that problem.

Page 583 of 590 FirstFirst ... 83483533573581582583584585 ... LastLast