What have you done to your Miata today?

Looks like it was fun. Any idea how a stock engine caused that shaft to twist?

Had a blast at MATG. Made it 10 miles on the trip down before having to stop to put up the top. It stayed up for the next 2 1/2 days, rain was fairly continuous. It did dry out some Friday and was mostly dry Saturday. Coming home Sunday was good too, had some overcast sky north of Knoxville but that finally cleared up.

She performed well the whole time. Managed to have a guy I know from another forum with MS experience take a look at my MS settings on Saturday and he did some tuning. He pulled a ton of fuel out and smoothed my VE table out a lot. She runs great now. Still some extra fuel under high boost but not as bad as it was. He also found my EGO control was not enabled which meant I was always using more fuel then I should have been (instead of using AFR feedback from the wideband the MS was only operating off the VE table settings). I went from getting 23.6 mpg on a complete freeway tank on the way down, to 25.2 on a tank combined with about 100 miles on twisty roads including the Dragon and freeway.

On the trip home she started acting up a little. AFRs were jumping around although the engine never missed a beat. Also had the temp gauge move a little above normal. I stopped to check for any problems but nothing presented and when I got back on the freeway the gauge was where it normally is. For the AFRs I am wondering if the COPs got damaged when I had some water in the plug wells a while back, so will be changing those for a spare set I have to see what happens.

This morning I washed her dirty ass (cabin I was staying in was down a gravel/dirt [aka mud] drive so she got really messy). Had some house work to do then crashed for a while. I just got done swapping back to the stock NB2 seats from the Recaros.

Something I found out is that a FM butterfly brace acts as a superb road grader/scoop. Every time I ran on the driveway to the cabin I would end up scooping up some, which would then fall out around various corners. The last time I used it as I was leaving I managed to miss all the high spots (or I had just planed them all down past where it was an issue (laugh)). Got to meet a few new forum people as well as reconnecting with old friends. All in all it was a hoot.

That being the case, any concerns for your rear axles or diff?

It's a race car that gets rode hard and put up wet. There's always concerns for that sort of stuff. But they've held up well too. Parts will break eventually, I've got spares of just about everything important, but I don't have the budget to go through and age out a bunch of parts every few years.
Though if it becomes a problem I may change my approach.

I've only had a 3 racing-caused failures (several more because I'm a bonehead, live and learn), and most of those were dealt with in a fashion that didn't lose us a single run.

1. Lower Ball joint failure, failed on our last run of the 1st day of a 2 day event. We managed to scrounge up a replacement and get it done that night and ran the whole next day.
2. Clutch failed at a Test 'n Tune just before 2013 Solo Nationals. We put in, actually, the clutch I have now, just before that.
3. The transmission. And the only reason we stopped running is because the course *needed* 3rd gear, and with the broken transmissoin just didn't let us find it or use it reliably. We were either going to blow up the engine running for many many seconds each run in 2nd, or from trying for 3rd and hitting 1st if we kept running. If it was a normal course with a 1-2 shift, we'd have finished that event up too.

A few of the 2000 SE gang at MATG. I used to think I was special until attending last year, there were quite a few of this trim.

28998806897_5714683d19_b.jpg

Overlook on Rt 28:

43031393195_ea7d595d78_b.jpg

Just prior to washing her after getting home (for the record, she was way dirtier while at the Gap. Gravel/dirt-mud drive to the cabin I was in):

43031393885_a8178fd468_b.jpg

Today I got around to swapping over to the spare set of coils I had. Started her up and she was running on 3 cylinders. So, back to the other set. I had forgotten about one of them being bad, will probably look into getting a new set as both of the Toyota sets I have were used when I bought them.

After washing her the other day I noticed the front of the diffuser and my PPF brace were dirty. You may recall I spoke about how dirty she got at MATG, this underneath shot is an indication of that (this was after two times rinsing off the underneath):

43983704341_8131883443_h.jpg

This morning before C&C I jacked her in the air to take care of that. I knew there was probably still some gravel trapped in the butterfly brace so decided to dig out whatever was there. To paraphrase Colin Chapman, I added lightness:

29045798697_ed9d1d4b30_h.jpg

I don't know where in the hell that piece of wood came from. PPF brace has some scratches now too, but it's otherwise all good.

Went full #TeamGangBang on the car during instructor runs in the lunch break of our Novice School today. 5 of us put 12 runs on it over the course of an hour and she seems to be back to running like a top. Can't wait to run it in competition again tomorrow :D

Last edited:
Ten years of dozens of clutch-dump launches, most of that time on slicks is my guess.

Sounds reasonable, Id say 10 yrs was mighty good! Loved your comment about how easy it is to work on your car. From what I experienced its so true...its a straight forward fun race car!

After washing her the other day I noticed the front of the diffuser and my PPF brace were dirty. You may recall I spoke about how dirty she got at MATG, this underneath shot is an indication of that (this was after two times rinsing off the underneath):

43983704341_8131883443_h.jpg

This morning before C&C I jacked her in the air to take care of that. I knew there was probably still some gravel trapped in the butterfly brace so decided to dig out whatever was there. To paraphrase Colin Chapman, I added lightness:

29045798697_ed9d1d4b30_h.jpg

I don't know where in the hell that piece of wood came from. PPF brace has some scratches now too, but it's otherwise all good.

Those are called momentos!!!! [emoji6]....I so want to do MATG, some day!

Picked up some wheels and tires for the ND, her first autox is this coming Saturday!
Advanti DST Storm S1, 17x8, and some RE-71Rs...cant wait!
1e824e68c3a1d025ca73e0c89a86b9ff.jpg

Back to normal
Only 2 of us in the car today, but one of the guys in a D Prepared Bugeye Sprite had an engine issue after his 2nd run, so he hopped in after we were done with ours and took a last run in my car. Fun course that I didn't really get great, but got ok. Courses like this REALLY make me ready to have an extra hundred horsepower and a longer-ratio transmission :D

Since I am finally going to do an autocross I decided to put the driver's Recaro back in for that. Also figured I would install the larger JR front sway I have to see what that does for my handling. Picked those up from storage yesterday and went about putting them in today. In the process found the underneath of the car in front had a lot of mud spray (go figure). While I had the undertray off I washed it up.

Seat went in ok, I had an extra seat belt receiver lying around so I put that on the seat to keep me from having to swap it around. Hoisted her up in the air, removed said undertray and went about pulling the sway bar. Got it out and the bigger one in with just a few hiccups. Had some issues with the bushing brackets lining up so I pulled it back out and turned it 180 degrees. Finally got the bolts in along with the braces. Checked to make sure my end links were even and the bar was level, then put the undertray back on.

The mail lady brought my new COPs during this work. I thought I might as well suck it up and buy some brand new ones to see if that corrected some of the minor problems I have been seeing. Some research showed Denso coils available on both Rock Auto and Amazon. I ended up going with Amazon because they were a little cheaper overall with free Prime shipping. FYI, the new number for these is 673-1300. I put each one in place and marked the sides to clearance so they wouldn't contact the valve cover. Used a sanding drum on my Dremel to take care of that. The coils came with some rubber gaskets so I decided to give those a try and see if they keep the plug wells dry. Buttoned up everything and she fired right up. I also changed out the air filter for a slightly smaller one I had lying around, I was using it originally but changed it for the bigger one when I was trying to figure out what was causing my fuel dump under boost.

After all that I can't get out for a test drive today. We are having rain of biblical proportions so that will have to wait.

Since I am finally going to do an autocross I decided to put the driver's Recaro back in for that. Also figured I would install the larger JR front sway I have to see what that does for my handling. Picked those up from storage yesterday and went about putting them in today. In the process found the underneath of the car in front had a lot of mud spray (go figure). While I had the undertray off I washed it up.

Seat went in ok, I had an extra seat belt receiver lying around so I put that on the seat to keep me from having to swap it around. Hoisted her up in the air, removed said undertray and went about pulling the sway bar. Got it out and the bigger one in with just a few hiccups. Had some issues with the bushing brackets lining up so I pulled it back out and turned it 180 degrees. Finally got the bolts in along with the braces. Checked to make sure my end links were even and the bar was level, then put the undertray back on.

The mail lady brought my new COPs during this work. I thought I might as well suck it up and buy some brand new ones to see if that corrected some of the minor problems I have been seeing. Some research showed Denso coils available on both Rock Auto and Amazon. I ended up going with Amazon because they were a little cheaper overall with free Prime shipping. FYI, the new number for these is 673-1300. I put each one in place and marked the sides to clearance so they wouldn't contact the valve cover. Used a sanding drum on my Dremel to take care of that. The coils came with some rubber gaskets so I decided to give those a try and see if they keep the plug wells dry. Buttoned up everything and she fired right up. I also changed out the air filter for a slightly smaller one I had lying around, I was using it originally but changed it for the bigger one when I was trying to figure out what was causing my fuel dump under boost.

After all that I can't get out for a test drive today. We are having rain of biblical proportions so that will have to wait.

Nice work!

Turns out they are damn near the same size. The bolt holes for the base aren't in exactly the same spot, but I could use the base / chip pan / stand from the old lathe, which I really like, just had to drill and tap a couple of new holes.

I marked the centerline of the mounts then used the chip-pan that came with the new lathe to mark the holes.

Used the engine hoist to get it close to position, then muscled it into its spot and bolted it down.

And fired it up :D

Autocrossed her today. Have a lot of things to post, and some videos once I remember my YouTube login (shocking I know) and I recover from being in the sun all day. It was a blast, here are a couple of pictures to tide folks over.

44143186011_dd406be9e9_b.jpg

42334551060_b360d3d135_b.jpg

That's purty.

Results are even better. Without any adjustment at all, the finish on this one is way better than the old one. Best finish I was ever able to get on the old one is here on the left, after adjusting it in as much as I could. On the right is the finish on the new machine. Left side feels rough to the touch. Right side is glass- (or, machined aluminum...) smooth.

To get an idea how out of adjustment it is, you can see the nub on the front face from where the tool post height is too low. I've got a part coming that'll let me install the quick change post this week, so I didn't feel like messing around with shimming tools to get the height right. So it got that finish with the tool geometry being all out of whack.

this may not seem miata related but it is so keep reading...

yesterday the rear end blew out of my 2014 CX-5 (only 55k miles), the wife is driving the titan to and from work and im now putting the miata into DD use...

Back