What have you done to your Miata today?

Ok, now that YouTube's done garbling my video (their encoding, I swear... I can count blades of grass in the video I upload, and YT just shreds it):

I shaved over 3 seconds off of my previous best, and took about 2.8 seconds out of the previous class record.

And for fun, the hairiest damn run I've ever made up the hill. Significant Pucker Factor when the road simply disappears. Seriously, you can see me wiping my visor at the top because I think it must be the mist or it fogging up.

I think I might take it for a ride anyway, six speed sucks for autox [emoji53]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swap the 5sp out of your car to swap into this one? lol Can't hurt to take it for a ride though. What numbers are you putting out now?

Installed the RS4's but been raining or cold so can't really see how they are. Changed the tranny fluid and oil and brake fluid change are next.

They will get plenty of miles in two weeks. :)

For those not following along on facebook:

Rolled it off the trailer, set a new Personal Best, broke the class record 3 different times, in the end smashed it by ~2.8 seconds from what it was prior to this weekend, had a celebratory beer and rolled it onto the trailer. F**king epic weekend :D

Ended up 8th overall, but not bad for a junkyard naturally aspirated 4-banger. Always nice to get on the leaderboard regardless. There was a period during the rain at the start of the event where I was 2nd overall behind the Focus RS :D

That is freaking great! Congratulations and some nice videos!!!

Awesome work aMAff!

To what do you credit the improvements and great result?

1. Took the time to dump the ballast out of the car. 100# isn't a huge amount, but it's nothing to sneeze at.
2. The 4.3 differential (vs the 4.1 that went up last year). The car actually pulled in 3rd gear now (actually hit the rev limit a couple times, and shifted to 4th for the fastest section).
3. Driving. Without the distraction of it being my first time at that event, my first hill climb ever, etc, I had a bit more brain power to dedicate to finding the right line and finding where I was losing time and PUSHING.

There's more time out there with my car. But while my car is, for all intents and purposes, disposable (you don't put a car on track, ESPECIALLY not one lined by trees and rocks, that you can't walk away from), I much prefer rolling the car onto the trailer at the end of the weekend vs having to drag it up because I scattered it against a boulder. There's zero profit in this endeavor, and as such there are a few places where I know I leave time each run, and refuse to push too much harder because the consequences of and error there are far too great.

Swap the 5sp out of your car to swap into this one? lol Can't hurt to take it for a ride though. What numbers are you putting out now?

That is freaking great! Congratulations and some nice videos!!!

That's just it, I'm at 190 to the wheels, 189 torque so not a huge increase....I did like the seats...

Am I missing something? Why would you trade your msm for another??

Mileage always an issue, I go through a set each year.

That's just it, I'm at 190 to the wheels, 189 torque so not a huge increase....I did like the seats...
No brainer then. Thge VR adds 10 ponies and it would be cheaper to just buy t b e seats.

He likes the seats? (Dunno)

You also autox over winter. How many events do you typically get out of one set?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I wouldn't really, I did want to take it for a ride though...

^ if you lived closer id let you take mine for a ride. not sure exact hp number but it pulls harder than my buddies msm and hes around 215whp

18447056_10209518355772087_5138327533023501199_n.jpg

18446879_10209518357332126_4781843387135209042_n.jpg

^ if you lived closer id let you take mine for a ride. not sure exact hp number but it pulls harder than my buddies msm and hes around 215whp

Cool, ya I'd like to get 200+, but that's going to require a bit more and while I still have it registered it would be more of a pain (hydra/injectors)

1. Took the time to dump the ballast out of the car. 100# isn't a huge amount, but it's nothing to sneeze at.
2. The 4.3 differential (vs the 4.1 that went up last year). The car actually pulled in 3rd gear now (actually hit the rev limit a couple times, and shifted to 4th for the fastest section).
3. Driving. Without the distraction of it being my first time at that event, my first hill climb ever, etc, I had a bit more brain power to dedicate to finding the right line and finding where I was losing time and PUSHING.

There's more time out there with my car. But while my car is, for all intents and purposes, disposable (you don't put a car on track, ESPECIALLY not one lined by trees and rocks, that you can't walk away from), I much prefer rolling the car onto the trailer at the end of the weekend vs having to drag it up because I scattered it against a boulder. There's zero profit in this endeavor, and as such there are a few places where I know I leave time each run, and refuse to push too much harder because the consequences of and error there are far too great.

I bet tightening the loose nut behind the wheel was most of it!

I get the 'don't push too hard' bit. Driving in Lemons I know that I leave time on every lap, especially when traffic is involved. But stuffing the car into a wall ruins everyone's weekend, and that's no good!

Cool, ya I'd like to get 200+, but that's going to require a bit more and while I still have it registered it would be more of a pain (hydra/injectors)

Yeah i have the hydra, 700cc injectors and the GT2560 turbo, but its doable in PA cause no emissions

I bet tightening the loose nut behind the wheel was most of it!

It didn't hurt, knowing where it's more safe to push hard and where not to. But the differential made a huge difference in my right foot's ability to drag me up the hill lol

If you watch my video from last year, with the longer diff, any tiny scrub of MPH took AGES to recover from. This year, it pulled SO much harder. The twofold difference there becomes a) I'm able to build more speed regardless, and b) scrubbing speed was not nearly as punishing on the clock.

drove it to work and hurt some "muscle car guys" feelings... 3 lane road, 2013ish Challenger and mid 90's Mustang GT decide to do a little pull...

both of their faces when the little red miata pulled on both... Priceless LOL

Last edited:
drove it to work and hurt some "muscle car guys" feelings... 3 lane road, 2013ish Challenger and mid 90's Mustang GT decide to do a little pull...

both of their faces when the little red miata pulled on both... Priceless LOL

Lulz. Awesome.

My personal favorite was a sling-shot win over a 5.0 notchback at the drag strip... boost for the win!

the miata now has a new older brother.
its a 1994 S-10, 4.3L v6, 7' bed, 4x4, and a 5 speed manual with 262k miles.
34658152662_337f567af8_z.jpg

Back