What have you done to your Miata today?

Mahk, your old 6 speed trans fits nicely in the passenger seat area.

35896614485_59f75fd800_z.jpg

So you never did get it installed? [emoji853]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is really common to have only one flanged pulley in a given pulley system. This prevents shredding/binding if one or more of the pulleys is slightly misaligned. I assume one of the lower pulleys has a flange?

Good luck on the test drive!

The crank pulley has slightly raised areas but not what I would call a lip.

Yesterday I went to the body shop I used to paint the spoiler to see about getting some dings taken out. Their guy was supposed to be there today but the job he was scheduled for fell through. So I decided to finally see about burping my radiator with the no-spill funnel that everyone raves about. I raised the front a foot or so, put the funnel on and started her up. Revlimiter has a great write-up with pictures so I'm not going to delve into that, but the thing works great. I actually got some air out of it. For anyone who might use one, my Koyo radiator took the size C adapter and the size B cap.

While I had the hood open I noticed a noise on start-up that I heard yesterday (it went away after a short time). I identified it as coming from the supercharger belt. It looked like the thing was moving around on the nose pulley. The noise again stopped for a bit, then it came back and sounded like the belt was slapping. I shut her off and decided to try the shorter belt (that is the one shown as correct from my searches). Started her back up, the noise was gone and the belt tracked straight and true. I guess the other one was just a little too long and the tensioner couldn't keep it how it should be.

I then ran the diagnostics on the cruise to see if I can find out why it won't work. I did the static checks ok but didn't have any luck with the checks done once the car is running. I'm going to do some more research as the instructions I found aren't clear on some of the steps.

Bloody heck... so, our autocross site this year has been sub-optimal. The surface is great, but it's friggin' small, and surrounded by concrete walls. Not awesome, and it means our courses are even smaller (thanks to needing to keep off the walls).

We've inked a deal with Atlanta Motor Speedway for next year. One of our region chairs made a lot-size comparison:

It's going to be nice to have a "real" site again :D

Got sick of shredding "cheap" umbrellas in grid on the race car. Shredding from the wind more than anything. Turns out cheap umbrellas aren't so cheap when you go through them about once every 2 events. So I'm trying something a bit different.

Should keep the cockpit a lot cooler in grid and in paddock before we run (where normally the car is just sitting in the sun, baking). Reflective material, UV blocker, and lighter color on the underside, and much wider than the Home Depot $5 specials I been buying 3-4 at a time lol

35092597603_551602adfc_h.jpg

I know, I know, "An umbrella!?" you're telling yourself? After absolutely baking in grid at the last event when it was 95 degrees?

Yeah, an umbrella.

Got sick of shredding "cheap" umbrellas in grid on the race car. Shredding from the wind more than anything. Turns out cheap umbrellas aren't so cheap when you go through them about once every 2 events. So I'm trying something a bit different.

Should keep the cockpit a lot cooler in grid and in paddock before we run (where normally the car is just sitting in the sun, baking). Reflective material, UV blocker, and lighter color on the underside, and much wider than the Home Depot $5 specials I been buying 3-4 at a time lol

35092597603_551602adfc_h.jpg

I know, I know, "An umbrella!?" you're telling yourself? After absolutely baking in grid at the last event when it was 95 degrees?

Yeah, an umbrella.

I use one too! [emoji167]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
You're supposed to say, "Because racecar." Whatever works, that's the important thing.

The PDR guy was in today so I drove over to the shop for him to see what he could do. He removed the one in the driver's front fender I caused when I fell back with my elbow while working on another car. He got most of the big one out of the passenger door, he used a little popping tool with adapters he hot-glued to the door over the ding. He said if he could have gotten in behind it he would have gotten it all, but it was located right where the inside structure of the door tightened up on the front side so he didn't have access. The price was a mere $30.

This afternoon I decided to give installing the Feal top hats on the rear shocks another shot. This time I left off the thick bottom washer provided with the top hats, along with the rubber spring isolator Ohlins provides. I left the bottom washer in the shock because it has a bevel that mates with a bevel on the shaft. See the picture for what I mean:

30456795655_76229f631e_c.jpg

Once that was all together I adjusted the overall length back to where it was, preloaded the spring and put it all back together. Ride height is where it was, everything looks good. I'll give it a good test tomorrow.

well no one has come forward with any cash for the car yet so i decided to do a bit of work over the weekend on the car. swapped the 5 speed out and installed an MSM 6 speed back in the car, adjusted the clutch so it wasnt grabbing right off the floor, Installed a 5 point harness and when doing that, found out the roll bar wasnt actually installed correctly so i fixed. and last but certainly not least i finally got the boost gauge moved out from blocking the speedo, i hated the location one of the PO's had it.

35849337861_a3b825ebd9_z.jpg

35811026282_10d642b306_z.jpg

wait what? How?

it was only bolted into the locations by the seatbelts, so 4 bolts held it in. neither of the " backing plates" were actually even drilled. All the holes are now drilled, and backing plates were ordered, and now installed. Its a real roll bar now and not just a style bar.

it was only bolted into the locations by the seatbelts, so 4 bolts held it in. neither of the " backing plates" were actually even drilled. All the holes are now drilled, and backing plates were ordered, and now installed. Its a real roll bar now and not just a style bar.

Wow.

Yeah, that's pretty messed up Levi. Glad you found and fixed it.

I've been trying to purchase a block from someone somewhat local, finally was able to get a time scheduled to look at it, went last night and ended up buying it. It came with a freshly "rebuilt" cylinder head (new stem seals and machined) which I told the owner I had no need for as he originally told me it was from an '02. I didn't even look at the head and simply loaded it into the car last night with the block. Well, this morning, I decide to actually look at this head and it's a ******* BP4W. Woot. Ordered my gasket set and timing components last night. I'm pleasantly surprised with my finding. Hope to have the engine fully assembled this weekend and installed into the car next weekend.

Nice score.

The 'charger belt is staying nicely in place and I'm seeing 10 psi of boost. Unfortunately I'm back to having the gas smell under boost, it appears my tune is off. I have to wait for another hard disk to arrive to cannibalize so I can get all the data from my failed laptop's drive. The Rivals handle great, I think I have all the mold release agent scrubbed off. The rear shocks seem to be working better with the extended top hats as it seems to float over bumps that were harsh before (you wouldn't know the difference unless you had experienced it). I do need to get an alignment now.

When I installed the top hats I left out the extra insulation I had put in the sound tubes between the trunk and the cabin on each side. I wanted to see how levels were with the RB muffler. It was definitely louder without the insulation so yesterday I decided to put it back in. You can see what I am referring to here:

36052914785_9df146bd29_c.jpg

36010498646_8db4110dc1_c.jpg

Here is the insulation used:

36010498226_6ee05a4b99_c.jpg

Yes, that's a lowly foam pillow. A local guy turned me on to this and I have been running with them in place for several years (I'm pretty sure I documented this earlier in this thread). Here is how it looks once they are in place:

36010497886_b10c9aa3f0_c.jpg

36010497486_b7dcf98bed_c.jpg

You can remove the gas filler pipe for more access on the driver's side, but my masochistic side arose and I just pushed the pillow around it. FYI there are a lot of fasteners and steel pieces sticking into those spaces so it's really easy to cut your hand if you aren't careful.

Holy s*** Levi! Thats some crazy s***. Why install a roll bar if you are going to half ass it?

That is a great score Preferio!

Good to hear the new pulley is working Mike. Watch those fingers and wrists amongst all that metal. And is your tetanus up to date? Lol

Detailed the interior yesterday. Tomorrow Ill work on the exterior. Sunday is a run with the local club.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Good to hear the new pulley is working Mike. Watch those fingers and wrists amongst all that metal. And is your tetanus up to date? Lol

The man works and lives much of the year on a giant slab of steel that inexplicably floats on the world's oceans. I'm going to guess that they're up to date....either that or he's built up a remarkable immunity to lock-jaw (rlaugh)

The man works and lives much of the year on a giant slab of steel that inexplicably floats on the world's oceans. I'm going to guess that they're up to date....either that or he's built up a remarkable immunity to lock-jaw (rlaugh)

I live my life like I drive- FLATOUT!!!! (rofl) Besides, with all the grandkids I have my immune system is up to date with all the latest downloads.

Back