What have you done to your Miata today?

Installed the Kuda car mount over my lunch break today. My old ProClipUSA phone mount works perfectly with it. :D

attachment.php

attachment.php

That is slick! I think if I get one instead of adding on my ProClip, Ill glue a magnet to the back side of the mount and one in my phone case. Is the back side open Jeff?

Last edited:
Today I found out that the world's most reliable race car has decided it no longer wants to run. It'll crank and start, but it runs like garbage and if you give it ANY throttle it immediately dies. I think we've got it diagnosed to the VVT Oil Control Valve or Cam Angle Sensor. The OCV is making a strange buzzing noise, so I'm hoping it's that

That is slick! I think if I get one instead of adding on my ProClip, Ill glue a magnet to the back side of the mount and one in my phone case. Is the back side open Jeff?

Yes, the back side is completely open. I'm thinking about re-routing the USB cable for my phone behind the center stack and then behind it. I will just need to drill a hole in the bottom of it for the cable to slip through. Great idea for the magnet! I don't like using them as it affects the wireless charging capability.

Today I found out that the world's most reliable race car has decided it no longer wants to run. It'll crank and start, but it runs like garbage and if you give it ANY throttle it immediately dies. I think we've got it diagnosed to the VVT Oil Control Valve or Cam Angle Sensor. The OCV is making a strange buzzing noise, so I'm hoping it's that

From my past experience, I'd recommend checking the fuse box but yours will at least crank. (rlaugh)

Wish you luck on getting her back on the track!!

(headshake

Yes, the back side is completely open. I'm thinking about re-routing the USB cable for my phone behind the center stack and then behind it. I will just need to drill a hole in the bottom of it for the cable to slip through. Great idea for the magnet! I don't like using them as it affects the wireless charging capability.
With apple car play I need to keep the phone plugged in all the time, so the wireless charging is not an issue [/QUOTE]

From my past experience, I'd recommend checking the fuse box but yours will at least crank. (rlaugh)

(rlaugh) you know, I did think of you when I WAS checking the fusebox. Thankfully the 5 or 6 fuses in mine are a lot easier to check. But yeah, they're good. And since it does actually crank and run, I know it's getting fuel AND spark, but something with the ignition is not right. Since the OCV is making some noise even when the car's not running, I'm going with that first.

(headshake

So...you're saying it's not one of those? There's a chance the reluctor ring moved, which would require probably replacing the intake cam, but I don't think I'm quite to that point yet.

Last edited:
(rlaugh) you know, I did think of you when I WAS checking the fusebox. Thankfully the 5 or 6 fuses in mine are a lot easier to check. But yeah, they're good. And since it does actually crank and run, I know it's getting fuel AND spark, but something with the ignition is not right. Since the OCV is making some noise even when the car's not running, I'm going with that first.

So...you're saying it's not one of those? There's a chance the reluctor ring moved, which would require probably replacing the intake cam, but I don't think I'm quite to that point yet.

No, the head shake was more too bad, but I think youre correct to start with ignition issues but why it dies when you give it gas is curious

I guess 'ignition' is the wrong word. "Timing" seems to be the thing. If the intake cam isn't where it's supposed to be, OR the spark is going off at the wrong time because the sensor's bad or the reluctor ring's shifted on the cam, it could have these symptoms.

Last edited:
I guess 'ignition' is the wrong work. "Timing" seems to be the thing. If the intake cam isn't where it's supposed to be, OR the spark is going off at the wrong time because the sensor's bad or the reluctor ring's shifted on the cam, it could have these symptoms.

Sure, timing makes sense.

With apple car play I need to keep the phone plugged in all the time, so the wireless charging is not an issue
[/QUOTE]

Me as well with android auto but I use a wireless charger at work.

I <3 U 2.

Agreed, seems like a timing issue.

Me as well with android auto but I use a wireless charger at work.

I <3 U 2.

Agreed, seems like a timing issue.[/QUOTE]

Gotcha!

I spent some of the afternoon doing something I've never had to do (and something probably unnecessary, but, you know, while you're in there...) and designed a fuel system from more or less scratch. Still retaining the stock sender unit and tank, but everything from the pump forward will be new -6 AN lines (except for 1 of the stock hard lines, which I plan to retain). In the interest of keeping clutter out of the engine bay, I'm going to have the pressure regulator in the rear (still need to take things apart to figure out where exactly), which means I'd only need to send the feed from the regulator to the fuel rail forwards. 1 line under the hood, vs 3 (feed to regulator, return, reg to rail) and the reg.
I'm planning on using teflon lined Slip-Loc hoses. By most accounts, any normal modern hose will hold up fine with ethanol (including in my own experience, using rubber hose and pump gas), but when there's a couple dollar difference between the PTFE and unlined hose, it seems silly to chance it.

Good news, my car's running! Bad news, it wasn't the OCV (well...something's wrong with that OCV) or CAS.
It turns out the tank was f**kin empty, and cars need fuel. Some times even I am astonished at the magnitude of my genius!

Oh a hunch, I threw a half gallon in and it fried right up and revs. I'm an idiot.

In my defense, the OCV was making a weird noise, so it's been replaced with one that isn't. If that hadn't been happening, I probably wouldn't have latched onto that idea as quickly.

Apparently the last time I parked it, despite it running fine, it was barely on fumes and would have died completely within a minute of parking it lol

Awesome news! Love it when its something so simple as a fuse, or empty tank of gas.....[emoji6][emoji106]

Awesome news! Love it when it*s something so simple as a fuse, or empty tank of gas.....[emoji6][emoji106]

Yeah me too. When, after replacing the OCV (which *was* bad, just not the cause of the issue, obviously haha) and the CAS and it was still doing it, I was trying to think of reasons adding air hurt it. Well obviously because there isn't enough fuel. Well why isn't there enough fuel? *shrug* Let's splash some in the tank and see if that works.

Sure enough...

LOL Andrew. We've all been there before....something goes wrong and the little things get overlooked as our minds are in overload trying to figure out what in the hell broke and why. Just happy to hear it's fixed!

I got a reman starter installed last week. One week to the day of the initial fuse frying, it happened again, but at work. I got out of the car, all grins as I was "hot s***" and knew it was a super easy fix!! :D Grabbed a 20A fuse out of the trunk and swapped out the blown one, turned the key and.......silence. Well that wiped the s*** eating grin off of my face real quick. (rlaugh) I had one 20A fuse left so I put it in but only turned the key to "on" and then checked to see if that blew it. Nope, so def. the starter when trying to turn it over. Called USAA for another tow and my mechanic had her fixed on Monday. I still can't sit down after paying that bill and kicking myself in the ass for a)not having it towed a third time to the house or b)not calling my BIL to see if he could help. Hindsight being 20/20 he was off that day and said he would have happily picked up a starter and drove it to my office so we could install it. Such is life.

On the plus side, she fires right up and purrs like a kitten. :)

The most important part of my next project has arrived (rlaugh)

Also this week, I kinda have the 'bookends' for the new motor in.

Back