CorkSport.com is MAZDA PERFORMANCE!
CorkSport.com is MAZDA PERFORMANCE!
Page 600 of 600 FirstFirst ... 100500550590598599600
Results 8,986 to 8,996 of 8996

Thread: What have you done to your Miata today?

'81 RX-7 GS, '00 Miata SE, '16 Camaro (wife's), '15 CX-5 GT AWD

All my parts came in today so I set about pulling the supercharger and upper intake manifold. Got about 3 ounces of oil out of the supercharger so that needed doing. There was some oil residue in the charge air piping, not sure if this was a result of my using different oil or not.
    When I removed the upper intake manifold and the injectors, I saw signs there was leakage past the O-rings on the #1 and 4 cylinders. Pulling the injector spacers showed the O-rings were collapsed:

I was given two sets of O-rings after sending the injectors out for checking, I used the larger set as they seemed to fit tightly but it looks like they were too tight. No way O-rings should have a flat cross-section after just a couple of years. I cleaned everything up and installed new O-rings and head seals using the lubricant provided. Installed the new fuel pulsation damper as well, just in case it was a contributing factor.

The results on a quick test drive? No more overpowering fuel smell under boost. Have to do some more driving to see if that also took care of the CEL.
    Last edited by chiefmg; 08-14-2019 at 10:49 PM.

muffled screams
    Protege5 & Protege FS Moderator

1992 Miata / 2003 Pathfinder

That's quite an update, I hope that actually corrects the issue.

Imagine how much easier all that would be if you cut the whole front out of the car though!
    ~Andrew
    Atlanta Region SCCA
    114 DP

Quote Originally Posted by aMaff View Post
    That's quite an update, I hope that actually corrects the issue.

Imagine how much easier all that would be if you cut the whole front out of the car though!
    You and me both brother.

I'll leave the Frankenstein mods to you racers.

muffled screams

It was brought to my attention today that this was the fastest ever run by a Miata up this hillclimb course!

Quote Originally Posted by aMaff View Post
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

muffled screams

Of course, no matter how careful I am and how nice of a tool I use, I always manage to booger up at least 1 of the ball joint boots on removal.
    I've got a new boot coming, but they're a real pain in the ass to put on without punching a hole through them. And of course, I don't have a 'correct' tool for installing one. Assuming there is one? Surely there's some specialty service tool for this, but regardless, this should do the job.

Forgive the chowder marks. It's a small lathe and I probably had a bit too much stickout, so it chattered a bit more than I'd have preferred, but it got the job done.

Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

muffled screams

It never ends. Mazdaspeed finally did me wrong (only took them 15 years lol)
    They sent upper ball joint boots instead of the lowers I need. The lower joint, since it takes more load, is a good bit bigger than the upper

It's the 1 thing preventing me from bolting the suspension back onto the car and at least being able to put the car on the ground to roll it around if necessary
    So close....

Anyway, they're sending them out from the GA warehouse. I'll probably have them Wednesday. Would have preferred to have them today though...

About a week and a half ago I took a drive to visit a friend from several forums. After a nice visit I drove home with a part in my possession. Good thing too as the one I was using was on its last legs. What might that be? One radiator fan shroud. First, a picture of the Lexan one I removed:

You can see two of the attachment points had broken off. After some aligning and drilling of new holes for my fans, the installed shroud looks like this:

It is a Mishimoto shroud, fits great and now I don't have to worry about fatigue failure (at least as much) of the material used.

I have had gas smell under boost again, but the injector O-rings are not leaking so this should (hopefully anyway) be down to a tuning issue. Heading back to work end of the weekend so that will have to wait for my next time home.

muffled screams

Finished my bolt-in bumper bar solution. I'm really happy with how it came out

Started by boxing in the ends of the frame rails where the bumper bar was cut out:

And boxed in the ends of the bumper bar:

Then welded the 'paddles' on that let it bolt up to the chassis, and hit it all with a couple coats of paint:

muffled screams

I'm at that depressing point in a new build where the car looks like it's more ready for the scrapyard than to be a race car again.

The front end's cut out, half the panels are missing, bits and pieces are notched and cut here and there, paint's missing all over the place, wires and hoses hanging around everywhere but attached to nothing. It looks like hot garbage.

Guess there's nowhere to go but up at this point

muffled screams

I never got the fascination of 'car guys' about a generation older than me have with the old school Stack dash that was in, like, every race car 'back in the day'. When I was coming up and starting to pay attention, it already looked old and dated.

When I was coming up, all the big GT endurance racers had that iconic blue-back lit Racepak dash.

And it occurs to me that my kids are probably going to think I'm an idiot for, in the world of full color 3D dash displays, how idiotically happy this makes me

muffled screams

Finished up the RacePak dash mount with a gusset & finished welding it:

Installed a Walbro 450 pump and swapped from the NA 1.6 to NB 1.8 fuel sending units. The main reason for the swap is that it's WAY easier to adapt the NB's quick-connect fuel fittings to AN fittings, because these exist: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/RUS-644113

I could probably do that with the hardline that runs under the car, but there's enough space & access that compression hardline fittings are fairly straight forward:

Page 600 of 600 FirstFirst ... 100500550590598599600