In Memory of Mazdas247 Member "1338"
In Memory of Mazdas247 Member "1338"
Page 567 of 573 FirstFirst ... 67467517557565566567568569 ... LastLast
Results 8,491 to 8,505 of 8595

Thread: What have you done to your Miata today?

muffled screams
    Protege5 & Protege FS Moderator

1992 Miata / 2003 Pathfinder

Take the timing covers off the front of the engine and make sure the timing marks are still lined up correctly.
    ~Andrew
    Atlanta Region SCCA
    114 DP

'81 RX-7 GS, '00 Miata SE, '06 RX-8 GT (wife's), '15 CX-5 GT AWD

Fair warning, picture heavy post so everyone should sit down.

The mail lady knocked on the door. I had several packages from overseas that I had to sign for. Here are the big ones:

One of the boxes had some dings, I documented same just in case:

The parts were well packed so I felt a little better about things (note, Japanese cardboard is pretty flimsy compared to ours):

Liberated from the boxes, but not yet fully unpacked:

JDM yo. Any translators in the house?

If you want to know if you have an actual real-deal product, look for the manufacturer's mark:

Here's the top of the lower piece, can you tell what it is?

The bottom:

And for the grand finale...

That shot has the piece upside-down, just stand on your head to see how it will look. I'll wait while the blood rushes to your head and you pass out.

Donated: $1.67

2003 Mazdaspeed Protege 1660, 2004 Winning Blue RX8, 2005 Mazda6

Quote Originally Posted by aMaff View Post
    Take the timing covers off the front of the engine and make sure the timing marks are still lined up correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Preferio View Post
    Assembled to the point of being able to start the car- exhaust midpipe and radiator aren't yet installed- but I'm getting a crank no-start. Fuel is present- it reeks. Spark is present- jumps from #1 wire to valve cover and spark looks healthy. Removed the front covers and verified my timing is correct. It started piss-pouring rain at that point and hasn't stopped for two days. Going to check fuel pressure and do a compression check today. The car was running before it sent a rod through the pan, so it's likely something of mine, something I've done. Will recheck my harness, grounds, engine management connections.
    ASE Certifications: A1, A4, A5, A8, C1, P2
    Mitsubishi-Fuso: Electr. Cert. 1, 2, 3 and 4

2007 Mazdaspeed 3:
    2005 Mazda 6 S: Gone.
    2004 Mazda RX8: Gone.
    2003 Mazdaspeed Protege #1660: Gone and missed.
    2003 Mazda Protege5: Gone.
    2002 Mazda Protege5: Gone.
    1995 Mazda Miata Best $50 I've ever spent.

muffled screams

This is the internet, man. You can't expect people to READ

But yeah, if that's right, then it may be a sensor or trigger issue somewhere else along the line. Start checking everything one by one. Plug wire order, is the ECU plugged in, the MAF, coil packs, CAS, etc.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Donated: $40

2016 Miata Club, 2004 MSM, 2014 CX5 Touring, Honda 1976 XL 175

Quote Originally Posted by chiefmg View Post
    Fair warning, picture heavy post so everyone should sit down.

The mail lady knocked on the door. I had several packages from overseas that I had to sign for. Here are the big ones:

One of the boxes had some dings, I documented same just in case:

The parts were well packed so I felt a little better about things (note, Japanese cardboard is pretty flimsy compared to ours):

Liberated from the boxes, but not yet fully unpacked:

JDM yo. Any translators in the house?

If you want to know if you have an actual real-deal product, look for the manufacturer's mark:

Here's the top of the lower piece, can you tell what it is?

The bottom:

And for the grand finale...

That shot has the piece upside-down, just stand on your head to see how it will look. I'll wait while the blood rushes to your head and you pass out.
    Oh boy! Christmas come early to the bluegrass state!!!

You betcha!

So my inner ricer was screaming to be let out. The upper diffuser piece is going to require quite a bit of cutting, but I figure I could get the lower one on without too much work. I was partly right.

Since I have a double-exit muffler I had to cut an opening on the driver's side of the vertical rib on the diffuser. Here's the opening on the passenger side, and the layout for the other one:

I made a template from the passenger side opening and transferred that over, the tape was used to prevent chipping of the fiberglass as I was cutting it. As I did with the cuts to my radiator fan shroud, I drilled two holes in the lower corners of the cut to provide for stress relief. I tried a couple of different methods of cutting the fiberglass, ended up using my Dremel with a cut-off disc. Here is the result:

A little smoothing with a sanding disc and here's the end result:

Note that after I took this picture I had to do some more removal of material along the bottom of the opening to provide for clearance for the muffler tip pipe.

Installation is pretty easy, there are two holes at the front that use the rearmost bolts holding the subframe bracing on and two holes at the rear that use bolts going through the tow hooks. I put the included fender washer underneath the diffuser at the front holes instead of on top, I figured that would work better with my Beatrush PPF brace (and it did). With the bolts at the rear, you put the nuts on the reverse of what you normally would. This allows the hex to fit inside the tow hook and act as a captive nut. I was very happy to see that my 949 subframe brace cleared the diffuser. A little wiggling and moving things around, torquing of the PPF bolts and this is the final result:

One thing to note, I will have to remove this any time I get an alignment as it renders a couple of the adjustment bolts inaccessible.
    Last edited by chiefmg; 08-12-2017 at 09:59 PM.

Since I had to remove things this morning, I took some pictures showing how the two bolts that hold the rear of the lower diffuser to the tow hooks are done:

As you can see, the nut fits right inside when reversed. Nice simple solution for that. I went to Ace and got a couple of fender washers to use between the lower diffuser and the tow hook to spread the force of the bolts out a little more on the fiberglass. No real way to show that with a picture.

In order to mark the left side of the upper diffuser for my dual outlet tip I had to remove the muffler. Once that was out I taped the diffuser in place and then marked it for the cut:

Once I had the mark I used my Dremel to cut it out and then sand it down:

PSA, fiberglass is sharp. I managed to cut myself while brushing dust off after cutting it. Imagine slicing yourself with an Exacto knife, it's like that.

Cleaned everything up after making sure my cut was good (looked like it at the time, but once I had it fitted in place I found it was a little off). The top of the upper diffuser is held on the bumper cover with double-sided tape, so I cleaned the mounting surface with denatured alcohol and then put the tape on. Here is where it gets a little tricky. If I were doing it over again I would have put painter's tape on the bumper where the bottom corners of the diffuser would touch. As I was trying to get the piece in place (the bottom edge fits inside the lower diffuser) the tape on the passenger side stuck to the bumper where I had pulled the backing away a little to give me something to grab for mounting. While getting that off and moving the diffuser to where it needed to be, I got some small scrapes on the bumper cover. Not a big deal, they rubbed out, but something to be aware of. Managed to get things in place and then I had to drill 6 holes in the bumper cover. The four screws in the middle go through both upper and lower diffusers and the bumper cover. The two in the middle are really hard to reach to put the nuts in place, even with my long arms I was hard-pressed to get them in there. Once I had a couple started I went ahead and stuck the top edge down with the tape. Once the upper diffuser was mounted I tightened the lower diffuser and that was that. Here is the final result:

Two things that I am undecided on. The first is if I want to paint any part of the upper diffuser body color, and the second is if I want to cut the bumper cover behind the screen in the middle. I may be missing a couple of red reflectors, there are recesses on the upper diffuser made for this (all the pictures I've seen have them in place) but I did not receive any. I sent Rev9 an e-mail asking about this.

2005 Mazda3 2.3

that looks awesome!!! i personally like it with both and i wouldnt paint either.

muffled screams

It looks awesome, but the solution for holding it on w/ the nuts in the tow hooks seems convenient, but also kinda sketchy. Is there anything preventing them from vibrating loose over time?
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Donated: $40

2016 Miata Club, 2004 MSM, 2014 CX5 Touring, Honda 1976 XL 175

No paint and maybe some 3m automotive tape to help keep it tight?

muffled screams

Assuming my vote counts: I also say "no paint". Looks awesome 2-tone against the Merlot

It looks awesome, but the solution for holding it on w/ the nuts in the tow hooks seems convenient, but also kinda sketchy. Is there anything preventing them from vibrating loose over time?
    Did you forget what I do for a living? On the bolt side there is a lockwasher on top of the fender washer. I'll be keeping an eye on things, if it's needed I'll add a little Loctite.

Quote Originally Posted by bazooka joe View Post
    No paint and maybe some 3m automotive tape to help keep it tight?
    The upper piece has tape on its upper edge. The bottom of both pieces are held together with screws through the bumper cover. This stuff isn't going anywhere.

Thanks for the comments. I really think I'm going to paint the uppermost section (above the upside-down U channel) of the upper diffuser body color. There will still be more than enough black to contrast, and I think it might help tie everything together. Wonder if anyone still does Photoshop?

Donated: $10

2008 Miata SE 33Y/2016.5 CX-5 GT 42M/2010 3i Touring 38L

Looks great sir! Another vote for black. I get what you are saying about painting it but I'd have to see it shopped first.

muffled screams

Quote Originally Posted by chiefmg View Post
    Did you forget what I do for a living? On the bolt side there is a lockwasher on top of the fender washer. I'll be keeping an eye on things, if it's needed I'll add a little Loctite.
    Nope, that's why I asked. What was shown in the picture didn't really jive up with how I figured you'd do things. But yeah, lockwasher and loctite would probably keep it in good shape.
    Does the hook actually capture the flats on the nuts so they can't spin?

Nope, that's why I asked. What was shown in the picture didn't really jive up with how I figured you'd do things. But yeah, lockwasher and loctite would probably keep it in good shape.
    Does the hook actually capture the flats on the nuts so they can't spin?
    A good magician never reveals all his secrets. If I really wanted to get fancy I'd drill things and use safety wire. Yes, the nuts are captive and cannot spin.

Thanks to the Photoshop skills of someone on one of the forums, here is what it will look like with the upper section painted:

Those who like it all black, what say you now?

Page 567 of 573 FirstFirst ... 67467517557565566567568569 ... LastLast