CorkSport.com is MAZDA PERFORMANCE!
CorkSport.com is MAZDA PERFORMANCE!
Page 573 of 573 FirstFirst ... 73473523563571572573
Results 8,581 to 8,594 of 8594

Thread: What have you done to your Miata today?

'94 Miata! '10 Mazda5 Sport 5MT, '16 Mazda3 S GT

New trunk lighting.

Seems like a small thing, but as we get into the always-dark-after-work season, it'll be nice to be able to see the stuff I've put back there.

These pictures were taken in a dark garage with no flash. That is just the trunk lights!

Oh, and if you're curious about all that crap on the inside of my trunk lid, those are pieces of magnetic vinyl that I've used to make autocross numbers, and the duct tape AMG GTC "badges" I made for last month's Mercedes club autocross! ;-)

Now that I know I can successfully solder wiring to the led strips, and that they're REALLY bright on 12V, I'll be adding strips to the top of the hatch areas in our Mazda5 and Mazda3, both of which have the same trunk lighting fault that our P5 had: One tiny-ass light, set on the side of the hatch area which is immediately rendered useless when the first grocery bag (or ANYTHING else) gets set in front of it. Overhead LED strips should take good care of that!

-Eric

I'm driving:
    '94 Miata - 23 years old daily driver - Top down EVERY week in 2015 & '16!

My wife's driving:
    '16 Mazda3 S Grand Touring
    When we need to haul the dogs, family or larger things:
    2010 Mazda5 Sport 5MT - With a Voodoo Shift knob and MazdaSpeed3 front seats & rear sway bar.

Van, Wagon, Convertible: It's long roof or no roof for me!

'94 Miata! '10 Mazda5 Sport 5MT, '16 Mazda3 S GT

Oh, I installed some of that LED strip lighting for interior lighting a few weeks ago, too!

It's great, but I really can't turn on the interior lights while driving or it glares off of the inside of the glass so much that I can't see!

Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Donated: $40

2016 Miata Club, 2004 MSM, 2014 CX5 Touring, Honda 1976 XL 175

Got me some new Spal fans, my eBay specials lasted 2.75 seasons, crapped out during my 5th run last autox. Great timing! Blade backed off and rolled into the other blade and knocked that one loose. I was able to limp home with one blade screwed back on.

muffled screams
    Protege5 & Protege FS Moderator

1992 Miata / 2003 Pathfinder

Mahk, how long are you down Souf for? You need to come drive my car
    ~Andrew
    Atlanta Region SCCA
    114 DP

Quote Originally Posted by aMaff View Post
    Mahk, how long are you down Souf for? You need to come drive my car
    3 months, I’d love to come see your car! I’ll hit you up when I get to NC and see if I can work something out!
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

muffled screams

Quote Originally Posted by bazooka joe View Post
    3 months, I’d love to come see your car! I’ll hit you up when I get to NC and see if I can work something out!
    Our last event is November 11/12, and we start back up February 17/18.

We’ll be down south mid Jan thru mid April, it would be great to come see the amaff mobile in person!

actually, a few days back, but worth post SPAL fans are the best! just installed them and they work awesome....great cooling!

muffled screams

Installed Paco Motorsports alignment cam locks in the rear to stop them slipping around, and added a bit of of camber on 3 out of 4 corners (see also: cams slipping). Well, the fronts were where I left them last time, but I want to try a little more camber, and 1 of the rears had definitely moved.

The Paco locks are a bit of a pain to work with and adjust, but the idea is that it'll have 0 toe all the time, and camber can be independently adjusted with the upper control arm, so the locks won't need to get adjusted hardly ever. The instructions weren't super clear on the process for adjusting them, but after a bit of trial and error, I figured out a process that worked for me.

The setup pads might be the best things I've ever built, they make doing this job SO much easier & more consistent.

muffled screams

Cliff's notes: Saturday: YAY! Sunday: YAY! ... BOO ... YAY! ...but still boo

Had an emotional roller coaster of a weekend

Saturday was our final points event of the season. I'd already wrapped up our local XP championship, so it was all for fun, but I ended up taking home another Fastest Time of Day. I was in the hunt against some stiff competition in the form of a pair of C7 Corvettes in pretty cold temps (I really only got 1 hot-tire run) but I managed it. It's the first time in my autocrossing 'career' that I've ever come off course to a round of applause

The electric power steering continues to be fantastic. Being able to make small, precise corrections via fine control muscles, rather than having to put chest & shoulder into each input has made a big difference.

Sunday was our Champion of Champions event, which is run like a 2-day National event. 3 runs in the morning, 3 runs in the afternoon on a different course, and your time is the combined best time from each session.
    The morning went well and had me 4th in our Club group (ie: a group made up entirely of people who'd won their class for the season). The afternoon...less well. After my co-driver's 2nd run, it did not want to crank for my 2nd run. We push started it and I made my 2nd run without much issue. I came back in and we pop the hood, expecting to find the alternator belt gone (because the battery clearly wasn't getting a charge). The belt was there, so something else was up. We started checking wiring and found wires at the back of the master cutoff switch with their boots melted, and the insulation discolored. So, day over. I was able to stand on that 2nd run, however, and move up a spot into 3rd, somehow.

The car's run flawlessly for 3 years without letting me down, so I'm not too put out with it

I haven't properly torn into anything yet, but my theory regarding the failure is that: I ran the last 4 years with an underpowered lawnmower / ATV battery that, any time it was REMOTELY cold, made the car a cast iron b*tch to start. I switched to a LiFePo this year, that weighed 1/3 as much but had 3x the CCA. Starting this year has never been a problem. It was pretty chilly in the mornings this weekend (low 40s), and it was REALLY hard to start each day. Like, harder than it's ever been. Sunday we had to hook jumpers to the tow vehicle to get it going. My suspicion is that the prior years of prolonged time running the starter with an underpowered battery damaged the wires, and it managed to limp along ok until this weekend it finally fell on its face. I'm probably going to have to replace all of the wiring to the charging system.

Either that or the alternator crapped the bed and has only been marginal during the weekend, and finally shorted completely out on Sunday, overloading the wiring and making everything toasty. I'll likely do some tear down and testing today.

2009 Mazdaspeed3; 1991 Turbo Miata

I would put $1 on a loose or poor electrical connection at the joint that melted. A spot resistance there would hurt cranking and cause localized heating/melting. It could be as simple as a loose lug or bad crimp, or as sneaky as a slightly-bad master switch contact. It is a failure mode I've diagnosed on other master-cutoff enabled cars before, one time the lug nut was loose and the starting current had welded the nut in a 'backed off' position!

Whatever it is I'm sure that you'll sort it out. Congrats on a good end to a great season!

Maturity is knowing that you were an idiot in the past. Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now. Wisdom is knowing that you will still be an idiot in the future.

2009 MS3
    2008 RX8
    1991 MR2

muffled screams

Failure analysis: the Master Cutoff Switch finally fudged the bucket. The alternator isn't shorted (still going to get it properly tested), and there's continuity from the alternator to the terminal on the master switch, but there is no continuity across to the other pole on the master switch (yes, with it "ON". I tested both switch positions).
    I'm led to believe that Master Switches are a wear item on race cars, and do eventually go bad.
    And if it was flaky for a couple events, it probably had a ton of extra resistance on the way out, building up heat and melting those boots on the terminals & heating the wires like James said.

Congrats Andrew!

muffled screams

Thanks!

Current mood:

Oh, I got a kick out of this yesterday during the lunch break, when the 2 Prepared class cars were, without any collaboration, both parked under our tech shed and had their hoods up for various routine checks. Not pictured was the Street class Vette that came in and was up on jacks a few minutes later to change his shock settings, while all the Prep / Mod guys were sitting around giving him shit and telling him all the things he was or wasn't doing wrong

Last edited by aMaff; 11-13-2017 at 07:53 PM.

Page 573 of 573 FirstFirst ... 73473523563571572573