VersaTuner - tuning software for Mazdas
VersaTuner - tuning software for Mazdas
Page 590 of 590 FirstFirst ... 90490540580588589590
Results 8,836 to 8,850 of 8850

Thread: What have you done to your Miata today?

'81 RX-7 GS, '00 Miata SE, '06 RX-8 GT (wife's), '15 CX-5 GT AWD

Those are some good shots.

Headed for my first car show tomorrow. I washed her yesterday with Dawn to remove the old wax, today after some errands I applied Zymol cleaner wax I have had for a while to see how it looked. Here is the result:

She'll be in the sun tomorrow so we will see how shiny she is. Passing rain squall squashed doing that today.

After eight years of ownership I finally got around to replacing a screw that was missing off the front of the passenger side side skirt. I could never find it on the Mazda drawings I have access to. Lo and behold while surfing eBay I found it. Was at the dealer this morning and they had some, so that is done.

Also while surfing eBay I came across a complete intake assembly for a '99-00 (from airbox to crossover tube) that was pristine. It was apparently removed when the car was new and set aside. No idea if I will ever need it, but given the hoops I had to jump through when the 'charger ingested a bearing I thought it would be nice to have. For less than $100 shipped it's mine now.

Picked this up today:

Donated: $40
    Miata & NEMOC Moderator

2016 Miata Club, 2004 MSM, 2014 CX5 Touring, Honda 1976 XL 175

Quote Originally Posted by chiefmg View Post
    Picked this up today:

Very nice! I also picked up an award last week3nd, 3rd place!

Miata & NEMOC Moderator

Autox today!
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

muffled screams
    Protege5 & Protege FS Moderator

1992 Miata / 2003 Pathfinder

NO BICYCLES ALLOWED ON COURSE!!!

~Andrew
    Atlanta Region SCCA
    114 DP

2005 Mazda3 2.3

shined her up and she went to a new home Saturday... she went to a great home.

Donated: $10

2008 MX5 SE 33Y/2016.5 CX-5 GT 42M/2010 3i T 38L/2008 3s GT 34N

Haven't really messed with the trunk lately due to my foot/ankle. It did pour here this morning for the first time in a while. I checked the trunk 10 minutes ago and it is bone dry. Thought for sure I would see some form of puddling since I haven't changed anything since the last time I saw water?

Picked this up today
    Quote Originally Posted by bazooka joe View Post
    Very nice! I also picked up an award last week3nd, 3rd place!
    Congrats to you both!

Quote Originally Posted by aMaff View Post
    NO BICYCLES ALLOWED ON COURSE!!!
    Where is that damn LIKE button!!!

Quote Originally Posted by thejeans View Post
    shined her up and she went to a new home Saturday... she went to a great home.
    Sad to see that you let her go but it's nice to know she went to a good home. You def. had your ups and downs with her along the way.

Thanks Jeff.

I continued with research to try and figure out what was causing my stumbling issue. The morning of the car show it was the worst it had ever been, I thought she was going to die. As it turns out, a failing coolant temperature sensor can cause this. In looking ata data log I took I noticed the coolant temperature was fluctuating during the same time as the AFR swings. Since none of the ignition stuff I tried worked I figured why not? Ordered a new one up Monday and picked it up on Wednesday. After looking everything over and checking the wires that I extended for the sensor connector I thought it would be a good idea to use some heat insulation on the wiring at the back of the engine. Ordered that from Amazon and it showed up yesterday. Went about installing it all once I had it in hand.

In order to ease access to the sensor I removed the shock brace, wiper cowl and brake booster hard line. That opened it all up.

Once I had the sensor free I went about removing the gasket off it. This was not successful, so I went to Ace to see what I could find. Ended up with a neoprene rubber washer that I cut down to fit. Next I cut a piece of the insulation tube to slide over the wiring for the sensor. It was much larger than needed just so I could slide it over the connector, so I folded it over and zip tied it up.

For the rest of the wiring in that area (ignition coils) I went with a split blanket that Velcroed together, as so:

Here is the finished product:

Since the fix I have not had any other problems with stumbling. I was curious about the gasket for the sensor though. The parts listing for engine relays on Mazda Motorsports' site does not have a diagram so no way of knowing what is what. The factory repair manual doesn't show anything either. I stopped by the dealer to see if their diagrams would show anything and they did. There are a couple of those on order now so I'll be installing one upon receipt.

muffled screams
    Protege5 & Protege FS Moderator

1992 Miata / 2003 Pathfinder

man I hope that fixes your issue. You've had some crazy issues with that damn thing
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Today I swapped over to the silver Flatouts with S-Drives since the temperatures are such that the Rivals aren't too happy.

Miata & NEMOC Moderator

What have you done to your Miata today?

Installed Apply CarPlay today. Needed to rip the right side of the lower dash apart and the top of the center console. Wiring was added and the USB hub was replaced. Installed new firmware and put it all back together. Took about 2 hrs....I now have a “mirror” image on the infotainment screen with my useful apps, Waze, google maps, messages, and SIRI etc. pretty cool!

Yesterday, I replaced my h/u. Nothing wrong with the old JVC, I simply wanted to upgrade to a touch screen with Apple Car Play and Android Auto functions. Took longer than expected thanks to my screw up. The SWC module I got did not have a spot for the parking brake wire so I had to splice into the factory wire. A quick call to Crutchfield and they sent me a pic of where it was and I was good to go.... I cut it no problem and made sure to give myself as much extra wire from the connector as I could. When I went to strip the end coming out of the connector I accidentally cut it more! Ugh! Thankfully there was just enough to strip, but had to do it with a utility knife. The PITA was trying to get it crimped. Couldn't get my crimpers in there so had to use channel locks and every time I thought it was good and crimped...it wasn't. Let's just say a handful of connectors and some four letter words were uttered. After a good hour, man prevailed over machine and the connection was made. Would have been easier had I not been laying upside down contorted between the seat and dash and under the steering wheel. lol

Since my SNAFU carried over into a longer than anticipated lunch, I finished the install at home. Finding a home for all of those wires and the SWC module to fit behind the h/u was fun! When I was done, I played around with the settings for a bit but forgot one thing. I didn't have the car running....so I finish up and go to start it to pull into the breezeway and nothing. Had to use the 3 to jump it. With winter coming I wasn't taking chances so after work, I stopped at Autozone and had the battery checked. It was confirmed bad so I walked out with a Duralast Gold. That will go in tomorrow.

Sunday is a fun day. A drive up to Mills Mansion in NY to meet up with Mark!

man I hope that fixes your issue. You've had some crazy issues with that damn thing
    x2!!! Hope this is the fix you have been looking for!

Today I swapped over to the silver Flatouts with S-Drives since the temperatures are such that the Rivals aren't too happy.
    Yeah, 'tis the season. Meh Checked the tread depth on the all-seasons I have been using for winter and they are at 4/32nds. So today I ordered a set of Firestone Winterforce 2s and get them mounted on the wheels Monday. Will keep an eye on the temps and get them on the car in the next week or so.

Installed Apply CarPlay today. Needed to rip the right side of the lower dash apart and the top of the center console. Wiring was added and the USB hub was replaced. Installed new firmware and put it all back together. Took about 2 hrs....I now have a *mirror* image on the infotainment screen with my useful apps, Waze, google maps, messages, and SIRI etc. pretty cool!
    Cool!!! Do you still have to use the command knob to control everything? It's not hard to navigate using it but it drives me nuts that Mazda locks out the touchscreen while the car is in gear.

Are you using the Miata icon in Waze?
    Last edited by CTt3P5; 10-20-2018 at 12:00 AM.

Miata & NEMOC Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by CTt3P5 View Post
    Yesterday, I replaced my h/u. Nothing wrong with the old JVC, I simply wanted to upgrade to a touch screen with Apple Car Play and Android Auto functions. Took longer than expected thanks to my screw up. The SWC module I got did not have a spot for the parking brake wire so I had to splice into the factory wire. A quick call to Crutchfield and they sent me a pic of where it was and I was good to go.... I cut it no problem and made sure to give myself as much extra wire from the connector as I could. When I went to strip the end coming out of the connector I accidentally cut it more! Ugh! Thankfully there was just enough to strip, but had to do it with a utility knife. The PITA was trying to get it crimped. Couldn't get my crimpers in there so had to use channel locks and every time I thought it was good and crimped...it wasn't. Let's just say a handful of connectors and some four letter words were uttered. After a good hour, man prevailed over machine and the connection was made. Would have been easier had I not been laying upside down contorted between the seat and dash and under the steering wheel. lol

Since my SNAFU carried over into a longer than anticipated lunch, I finished the install at home. Finding a home for all of those wires and the SWC module to fit behind the h/u was fun! When I was done, I played around with the settings for a bit but forgot one thing. I didn't have the car running....so I finish up and go to start it to pull into the breezeway and nothing. Had to use the 3 to jump it. With winter coming I wasn't taking chances so after work, I stopped at Autozone and had the battery checked. It was confirmed bad so I walked out with a Duralast Gold. That will go in tomorrow.

Cool!!! Do you still have to use the command knob to control everything? It's not hard to navigate using it but it drives me nuts that Mazda locks out the touchscreen while the car is in gear.

Well I had a tweak that got rid of the lockout feature, but I had to update the firmware and it broke my tweaks....I’m hoping a new tweak will be out soon. So yes, I have to use the knob....but I can use Siri now, so that works even better!

Installed a Duralast Gold battery this morning.

After finishing the h/u install Thursday night and playing around with the settings, the car wouldnt start. Used my sons car to jump it and it started right up.

Stopped at Autozone to have them check it and it was bad. With winter fast approaching, I bought one on the spot. I have used them in the padt on other cars with good results.

Now I have a P0506 code. After reconnnecting the battery Thursday it was idling rough and nearly stalled twice but no CEL. I let her run a good 15 minutes and then let her sit overnight. Friday morning she started right up and had a bit of a rough idle but not as bad as the night before. Within two blocks she was acting normal and no CEL. I figured the ECM was simply re-learning.

After installing the new battery, she ran rough again and this time the CEL popped? I cleared it and then drove to Autozone to get the core charge for my old battery. Again, after a couple of blocks she was running better. They pulled the code and said to replace the crankshaft position sensor. Everything I have been reading is suggesting to clean the TB?
    Well I had a tweak that got rid of the lockout feature, but I had to update the firmware and it broke my tweaks....I’m hoping a new tweak will be out soon. So yes, I have to use the knob....but I can use Siri now, so that works even better!
    Ah ok. I am surprised that a tweak isnt available yet.

At least Siri allows you to go hands free.

You and me both brother. So far seems good.

Installed Apply CarPlay today. Needed to rip the right side of the lower dash apart and the top of the center console. Wiring was added and the USB hub was replaced. Installed new firmware and put it all back together. Took about 2 hrs....I now have a *mirror* image on the infotainment screen with my useful apps, Waze, google maps, messages, and SIRI etc. pretty cool!
    Nice to be able to have that functionality.

Quote Originally Posted by CTt3P5 View Post

x2!!! Hope this is the fix you have been looking for!

Yeah, 'tis the season. Meh Checked the tread depth on the all-seasons I have been using for winter and they are at 4/32nds. So today I ordered a set of Firestone Winterforce 2s and get them mounted on the wheels Monday. Will keep an eye on the temps and get them on the car in the next week or so.

Thanks Jeff. Nice job on the new stereo install (I'm old so allowed to call it that).

So, I picked up the gaskets from the dealer Saturday. They are these:

You can see they are using aluminum now, just like oil drain plug gaskets. The recess on the thermostat housing for the reroute I have is a little smaller on the OD than the factory one so I used a sanding wheel on my Dremel to pare the gasket down to size. After a drive I checked and it's leaking a little so I will try making it a little smaller. If that doesn't cut it I'll go back to the neoprene gasket I was using.

Forgot but the other day when changing wheels over I went to adjust the muffler hanger I had installed to shift things more to the right. Turned out one of the nuts had come off the U-bolt. I had one the same size lying around so put that on, but I think I will get some Nyloc nuts from Ace to keep it from happening again.

Page 590 of 590 FirstFirst ... 90490540580588589590