What have you done to your Miata today?

She was a faithful companion and had served me well, but it was time that the ol trailer moved on to another member of the motorsports family <3

Last edited:
Awww yiss :D

Picked up the "new" hotness today :D
20', will fit the car and the kart, has A/C (that runs off the 2000w genny that I already have, don't need to upgrade that!) and an awning, and will be a nice little track camper too (and has 'camper' style leveling jacks at the rear. I should be testing the camping bit next month in fact.

Next steps are to get the weight distributing hitch setup, and the electric jack installed to replace the semi-broken (it works, but it's janky) tongue jack. After that, it'll be time to outfit the interior. I plan on pointing the walls white, and getting a tire-rack / folding work bench set up towards the front, that will be tall enough to fit the kart under should the need arise, and a whole lot more e-track and tie-downs, 12v LED lights on the interior, fuel jug rack, tool storage.
It's great starting point, but it's basically a blank canvas.

This'll make going to the track WAY more comfy :D

Awww yiss :D

Picked up the "new" hotness today :D
20', will fit the car and the kart, has A/C (that runs off the 2000w genny that I already have, don't need to upgrade that!) and an awning, and will be a nice little track camper too (and has 'camper' style leveling jacks at the rear. I should be testing the camping bit next month in fact.

Next steps are to get the weight distributing hitch setup, and the electric jack installed to replace the semi-broken (it works, but it's janky) tongue jack. After that, it'll be time to outfit the interior. I plan on pointing the walls white, and getting a tire-rack / folding work bench set up towards the front, that will be tall enough to fit the kart under should the need arise, and a whole lot more e-track and tie-downs, 12v LED lights on the interior, fuel jug rack, tool storage.
It's great starting point, but it's basically a blank canvas.

This'll make going to the track WAY more comfy :D

That is too cool! Maybe Ill come see it in August! Have fun!

Drove home, parked her and saw this when I was taking the pup out.

Ugh! Car ran fine on the way home, temp gauge needle never moved from the normal spot. The pic of the gauge and the tank level were taking after the car sat for about five minutes.

Overfill hose is dry but does have some coolant residue, and a quick check of the hoses at the tank come up dry. There is some coolant residue on the tank, near the cap, tried to get a pic to show it. Also the fan shroud on that side is wet.

I checked oil and level was good but posted a pic of the shop towel. Not too crazy about what Im seeing....

Any thoughts/ideas on best way to proceed?
ca7d8a163f8a45dbb4b6f53108ebe69f.jpg
ae06bfa96d0accdd831d26292b9d7b2a.jpg
170d8fb65e05c52f9c119cbe8e679272.jpg
8c7de07a2df98a586e8f56131128b290.jpg
ce14f00739f8e44a7634939c1553a33f.jpg
353ee1ba9bc63b2ca615bd23dece3d90.jpg

Any thoughts/ideas on best way to proceed?

Figure out what's leaking and replace that part. But I'm betting you guessed that. Pull the tank, make sure it's not cracked, then check the radiator itself (you said there's some spillage at the cap, but is there fluid in the rad?) and all the hoses.

Figure out what's leaking and replace that part. But I'm betting you guessed that. Pull the tank, make sure it's not cracked, then check the radiator itself (you said there's some spillage at the cap, but is there fluid in the rad?) and all the hoses.
Where is that damn like button? (rlaugh)

Plan was to pull the tank and check it, hope a weld didnt break. Will also be able to check the lower hose with it pulled.

I did remove the cap earlier and the half the gasket was flipped up. I pushed it back into place but now it sits wonky.

It is an Autozone cap that I put on a few months ago. Could it be as simple as the cap failing, leading to it leaking out of the cap and overfill hose?

Tank still has coolant and the level hasnt dropped in the last two hours.

Notice how the gasket is wider on the right side.
bd7afcdcdac189892e1417f67272f0a0.jpg

If there's spillage at the cap, and the cap looks wonky, I'd say for the tenner it'll cost you, replace the cap just in case. Seems plausible enough

That's the current plan but I figure now is a good time to flush the system too. So I'm stopping on the way home to get a gallon of FL22. Then I'll drain the tank, pull it and check the lower hose/clamp and then flush/fill and go from there.

Successfully flushed/filled the tank and installed a new OEM cap and no issues since. *crosses fingers*

Burping the system was fun and I spent the weekend running multiple sessions to get the air out before I finally threw a gallon of distilled water in the trunk before driving to work on Monday. Haven't needed the water yet and don't think I will need it.

Now I'm trying to decide between the Scanguage2 or Ultraguage MX to better monitor the coolant temp and other vitals.

Also found my DS rear shock leaking so time to upgrade. :D

That's the current plan but I figure now is a good time to flush the system too. So I'm stopping on the way home to get a gallon of FL22. Then I'll drain the tank, pull it and check the lower hose/clamp and then flush/fill and go from there.

Good idea!

Got home, checked the battery to find it under 2 volts. Wasn't that old but went ahead and bought a new one at the local O'Reilly's. I find it amusing that their part number is MIATA. Got that installed, she pretty much fired right up and I took her for a drive. Only PITA is that while the CEL wasn't in evidence initially, about 10 miles into the drive it came on. So I still have to figure that out (running a MS2 so I can't just plug in a reader to see what it is for). Going to keep an eye on the battery voltage to see if I might have some sort of constant drain.

I went ahead and ordered a CAS, CPS and coolant sensor from Rock Auto so I had them on hand should they be needed (since the two sensors are known failure points for NBs). Those are in hand, along with the QMAX reroute. I had to order a new thermostat for that, for anyone interested you can get one from Amazon for $6 and change plus shipping.

Back