Made in USA and Free Shipping on all orders shipped inside the US.
Made in USA and Free Shipping on all orders shipped inside the US.
Page 578 of 578 FirstFirst ... 78478528568576577578
Results 8,656 to 8,666 of 8666

Thread: What have you done to your Miata today?

muffled screams
    Protege5 & Protege FS Moderator

1992 Miata / 2003 Pathfinder

A friend of mine needed to replace the bushings in his daily-driver Miata. I gave him a set of stock arms, told him to press the bushings out of them at his convenience and press the new ones in, then when he shows up at my place to work on it all he'll need to do is unbolt the arms and bolt new ones in.
    Well, he didn't do that. He started working on it Friday afternoon, and spent Saturday and Sunday at my shop. This is the current state of the car:

Now we're waiting on a couple of tie rod ends, boots for the front upper ball joints, and we'll need to replace an axle because he managed to over-extend one of the outer CVs and there's something jacked up in the boot to the point that I can't get the axle to pop back into the splines.

Getting the axle nut off was interesting. My air impact wouldn't budge it at full pressure on the compressor tank. We don't have all 4 corners together yet so using the brakes to hold the hub from rotating was a challenge. He looked pretty concerned when I said "this is a bad idea, don't ever do this, but it's just stupid enough that it might work" and ran up to the house to grab my bigass 4' prybar.

I bolted up a sacrificial old honda alloy wheel I have kicking around the shop to the hub, jammed the pry bar into the spokes and had him stand on it, then put a breaker bar w/ a cheater pipe on it the nut and put all of my girth into the effort. Stupid like a fox
    ~Andrew
    Atlanta Region SCCA
    114 DP

muffled screams

My buddy had today off and came by to finish up his stuff. By dinner it was fully assembled. By the kid's bed time it was on the ground so we could eyeball the ride heights. By MY bed time (well...a hair passed) we had it corner balanced and aligned, test driven, a couple of fender tweaks made for rubbing, his car packed up and out of the shop and my car back in. Successful evening. Time for a brew. Might need to be a shower-beer.

Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

muffled screams

It's finally consistently warm enough that I'm no longer paranoid about the car freezing, and can drain out the antifreeze in favor of distilled water & water wetter.

I've always just used a big funnel, which always made a mess, but this thing is MONEY for burping cooling systems. Or at least on the 1 car I've tried it on so far.

No more worrying about bubbles pushing hot water out the spout and splashing everywhere, and it basically just burps itself. Get the nose up high and wait for all the bubbles to stop.

...and then I realized that I'd apparently used my last bottle of Water Wetter last year, so I settled for flushing the antifreeze w/ tap water, flushing that w/ distilled water, and then I'll drain and fill w/ more distilled water @ water wetter once it arrives this week.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2009 Mazdaspeed3; 1991 Turbo Miata

+1 to the magic funnel kit. It is just the best.

Maturity is knowing that you were an idiot in the past. Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now. Wisdom is knowing that you will still be an idiot in the future.

2009 MS3
    2008 RX8
    1991 MR2

'86 RX-7 Base, '79 RX-7 GS

I picked up one of those when I got the RX7 running last year. Definitely one of the better investments lately!

Do you see a noticeable improvement with the Water Wetter? Opinions are mixed in the rotary community. Many are of the opinion that at least some ethylene glycol is necessary to lubricate the water pump. Although I haven't seen the source there's a claim Mazda Motorsports recommends a 90/10 water/glycol ratio.
    '13 Ford Flex Limited
    '10 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
    '86 Mazda RX-7 Base (Photos)
    '79 Mazda RX-7 GS (Photos)
    '11 Mazda 2 Touring - SOLD
    '09 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4 - SOLD
    '02 Mazda Protege5 - SOLD
    '01 Mazda Protege LX 1.6L - SOLD
    '89 Mazda RX-7 GXL (Photos) - SOLD
    '86 Toyota Pickup 2WD - SOLD

muffled screams

Anecdotally:
    I haven't had an issue with it...except for when I didn't change over to 50/50 the 1 winter it actually got cold down here and the block froze and cracked, but that wasn't a WW problem, that was a me problem.
    I also know a ton of racers that use the distilled + WW mix and have for years without out-of-schedule pump failures.

muffled screams

Quote Originally Posted by JamesCH View Post
    +1 to the magic funnel kit. It is just the best.
    I bought this one a while back but never had the opportunity to use it. MAN it makes life easier.

Quote Originally Posted by aMaff View Post
    Anecdotally:
    I haven't had an issue with it...except for when I didn't change over to 50/50 the 1 winter it actually got cold down here and the block froze and cracked, but that wasn't a WW problem, that was a me problem.
    I also know a ton of racers that use the distilled + WW mix and have for years without out-of-schedule pump failures.
    I was just reading the technical information from Redline and they mention it lubricates water pump seals so perhaps the Water Wetter acts in lieu of glycol in that sense.

2009 Mazdaspeed3; 1991 Turbo Miata

Quote Originally Posted by magnumP5 View Post
    I picked up one of those when I got the RX7 running last year. Definitely one of the better investments lately!

Do you see a noticeable improvement with the Water Wetter? Opinions are mixed in the rotary community. Many are of the opinion that at least some ethylene glycol is necessary to lubricate the water pump. Although I haven't seen the source there's a claim Mazda Motorsports recommends a 90/10 water/glycol ratio.
    Water wetter, or something comparable, is a must for engine longevity. Nearly-pure water is superior to 50:50 for heat transfer capacity, but you need a little lubrication and corrosion inhibition to have it last! My FSAE team, and Lemons team, both transitioned from pure water to water + waterwetter after observing significant corrosion using pure water. My Lemons team also observed superior water pump life after the addition of waterwetter.

Interesting data:
    https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/e...col-d_146.html

Quote Originally Posted by aMaff View Post
    I bought this one a while back but never had the opportunity to use it. MAN it makes life easier.
    Right? On my MR2 it is the only thing that makes bleeding that insane cooling system tolerable.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesCH View Post
    Water wetter, or something comparable, is a must for engine longevity. Nearly-pure water is superior to 50:50 for heat transfer capacity, but you need a little lubrication and corrosion inhibition to have it last! My FSAE team, and Lemons team, both transitioned from pure water to water + waterwetter after observing significant corrosion using pure water. My Lemons team also observed superior water pump life after the addition of waterwetter.

Interesting data:
    https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/e...col-d_146.html
    I remember seeing that a while back. It jives pretty closely with the recommendations the Mazda FSM gives regarding minimum ambient temperatures: 35% glycol by volume is good to around 0 degrees Fahrenheit. I'm running 33% gycol because it's convenient to mix 1 gal glycol with 2 gal distilled water. My cooling system seems adequate so far but I haven't raced the car yet or run it hard during the Summer. The hottest it's been is around 210 when I had it on a dyno without a fan. Even then temperatures dropped quickly once the radiator fan kicked on (195 F) and we stopped doing pulls. I've contemplated going down to 25% by volume but that's only good down to 12-13 F and we do occasionally get that cold in VA. I do have an insulated garage though...

muffled screams

Yep that all seems to check out with my experience as well. Definitely not running straight water, but as it's a full on race car, I really don't like running a bunch of glycol in the system in the event that something were to rupture. It makes the course cleanup SO much harder.

Page 578 of 578 FirstFirst ... 78478528568576577578