CorkSport.com is MAZDA PERFORMANCE!
CorkSport.com is MAZDA PERFORMANCE!
Page 582 of 582 FirstFirst ... 82482532572580581582
Results 8,716 to 8,724 of 8724

Thread: What have you done to your Miata today?

2009 Mazdaspeed3; 1991 Turbo Miata

Quote Originally Posted by aMaff View Post
    Well, it was bound to happen eventually, but the law of averages finally caught up with us. I don't know if there was a shift fork that picked that moment to fail, or if 1 of our drivers ham-fisted a shift (no it wasn't me) and kinda rammed it into gear, but something is dickered in the transmission. I haven't pulled anything apart yet so it might be something simple, but we basically had to reef on it just to get it out of the 1st / 2nd gates. It freed up so it could go into 3/4, and after a few more runs (are you guys silly? We're still gonna send it!) 5th freed up, but the shift feel is very strange, and we couldn't reliably find 3rd gear on course. Unfortunately, we NEEDED 3rd on course, otherwise the whole 2nd half of the course was on the rev limiter in 2nd gear. Given that, we did end up packing the car up because just driving it on the rev limiter is a great way to break the motor in addition to the trans, and I didn't want to do that (and neither did the co-drivers). Continuing at that point would just be abuse, really.

I'll start tearing it down. Hopefully it's just the shifter bushing that detonated, but it's delrin and shouldn't shatter like the stock ones, and shouldn't permanently deform like the bronze ones do, so we'll see. Fingers crossed, but I'm pretty sure at this point the trans is junk and needs to come out.
    Well... any material is going to yield or crack (ductile vs brittle failure)... so if it failed it likely did at least one of those things! I've seen Delrin do both, depending on the circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefmg View Post
    Got up this morning and despite the threat of rain, pulled her out to give her a bath (first one since September some time). She cleaned up well. Piddled around and checked the normal things (tire pressure, oil/coolant levels etc) once that was done. Just got finished up and sat down to post this, look outside and the rain is pouring down. It looks like no test drive today either.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1724/...1b2ae5f8_b.jpg
    Braaap that shit in the rain son!

Maturity is knowing that you were an idiot in the past. Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now. Wisdom is knowing that you will still be an idiot in the future.

2009 MS3
    2008 RX8
    1991 MR2

'81 RX-7 GS, '00 Miata SE, '06 RX-8 GT (wife's), '15 CX-5 GT AWD

Quote Originally Posted by aMaff View Post
    Does your car not work if it's raining or something? O_o
    You never know...

I want to get on it after I am sure it is running well, and prudence dictates that I not do that in the wet (especially since I haven't driven her in so long). Also I really don't want to have to wash her again so soon.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesCH View Post
    Braaap that shit in the rain son!
    See above.

muffled screams
    Protege5 & Protege FS Moderator

1992 Miata / 2003 Pathfinder

Quote Originally Posted by JamesCH View Post
    Well... any material is going to yield or crack (ductile vs brittle failure)... so if it failed it likely did at least one of those things! I've seen Delrin do both, depending on the circumstances.
    Nope, shifter bushing is fine, and everything inside the turret looks clean & pristine. So I'm pretty sure she's dickered

Quote Originally Posted by chiefmg View Post
    I want to get on it after I am sure it is running well, and prudence dictates that I not do that in the wet
    Meh.

~Andrew
    Atlanta Region SCCA
    114 DP

2009 Mazdaspeed3; 1991 Turbo Miata

Driving the rain is the best! All your mistakes happen at slower speeds, everything runs cooler, and other drivers are super cautious/slow/still in the trailer. My favorite track driving has always been in the rain.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

I agree with you both. I enjoy driving in the rain, it demands focus and you can exclude all else. This holds true for me riding motorcycles as well. Unfortunately driving on the street means dealing with other drivers who are more brain-dead than normal. No thanks.

Weather cleared a bit and the roads were dry, so I took her out for a short test. Drove fine, did notice some stuttering at higher engine speeds so I'm going to check and see if any water got into the spark plug wells when I washed her. The new steering wheel feels great, and no airbag light came on. It feels so different from the wife's Camaro which I expected, but I prefer this. Yes, it's hard to argue with a honking-big American V8, but the Miata is so tossable that there is no comparison handling-wise. I can feel the road and it is so much more responsive (some of that is due to the front negative camber I know). It is just a much better balanced package overall, and for my tastes more enjoyable.

Donated: $50

2008 Miata PRHT

Wow you guys are busy!! The only things I have to report is that the horn isn't working, fuse is fine, so that's one thing to fix.

The other was my PRHT stopped working, light flashing on the dash. After mulling it over and checking online it was a simple matter of "rebooting the PRHT ECU" by pulling the battery. I'm exhausted.

Sorry to hear about the 2004 for sale Mark. Why? 1 too many Miatas?
    Bruce
    2008 Miata Touring PRHT True Red, MazdaSpeed body kit
    RB Intake, RSII Exhaust, RX8 Sways, KW V3 Coilovers, Fiaam horn
    RX7 FD Rims, Kenwood DNX7100, Int Wiper Mod, 3M Bra

Donated: $40
    Miata & NEMOC Moderator

2016 Miata Club, 2004 MSM, 2014 CX5 Touring, Honda 1976 XL 175

Quote Originally Posted by Reitrof View Post
    Wow you guys are busy!! The only things I have to report is that the horn isn't working, fuse is fine, so that's one thing to fix.

The other was my PRHT stopped working, light flashing on the dash. After mulling it over and checking online it was a simple matter of "rebooting the PRHT ECU" by pulling the battery. I'm exhausted.

Sorry to hear about the 2004 for sale Mark. Why? 1 too many Miatas?
    Exhaust, haha!
    Well it’s hard to justify keeping it for 6 autox and a few track days....I was going to make a strictly race car, but my truck need stupid money to fix it and I’m not buy a truck and trailer....I hate to sell really, and if I can’t get something for I’ll keep it.
    If it sells I’ll use the ND for those autox and track days...get some new rims and sticky tires and have at it.

Had to take two days off while doing a head gasket job on one of the kids' cars. This morning I pulled the COPS, three of the plug recesses had water in them. Looks like I need to take even more care when I wash down the engine bay. Blew that out with compressed air, initial shot didn't get it all so I put a paper towel into the hole and then blew it again. Left everything open for a while to make sure it was all dry. Also noticed the 'charger belt had walked off one tooth so put that back in place, will monitor to see if I need to adjust the 'charger position.

Then, since it is a nice day, I went for a drive. Took my favorite local backroad. It's amazing the difference between this and my wife's Camaro. Weight does have an impact on handling, if you doubt that then take a modern car with the latest suspension and drive it back to back with an older well-sorted sports car. With the water cleared out of the plug holes she pulled hard to redline. Even small throttle openings provided a push of effortless acceleration. It's sneaky fast compared to the sledgehammer speed of the Camaro's V8. I love this car.

Donated: $40
    Miata & NEMOC Moderator

2016 Miata Club, 2004 MSM, 2014 CX5 Touring, Honda 1976 XL 175

What have you done to your Miata today?

Brought her to cars and coffee this morning with the for sale sign on the dash, lots of lookers and questions....but no serious prospects. I did get two offers this week. One was real low the other close...I don’t have tot sell it so I’m going to hold out for another month and see what happens. I’d really like to sell it before winter.
    Any cars and coffee.....

Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Page 582 of 582 FirstFirst ... 82482532572580581582