Enable the trip computer

Turn your radio on, turn the key off.
Hold FM/AM and CD button, while holding these buttons, turn the key to ACC.
Watch the display, it should say "DIS ON", as soon as you see this, turn the key to OFF, then start the car. Use the SET button to toggle through the options. Press the CLOCK button to get the clock back, now if only I could get it to display in MILES instead of Km!

I just tryed this and it worked like a charm. How did you figure out the sequence? I just confirmed that the base model has the outside temp sensor in it, there must be a sequence for activating that as well.

It's works on the Mazda 5 as well, give it a try on MS6 and let us know.

Mazda3 said:
I just confirmed that the base model has the outside temp sensor in it, there must be a sequence for activating that as well.

Man oh man, I've been waiting for someone to figure that out!

BTW, I can't get the trip computer trick to work. How long do you have to hold them down after turning the key to ACC? I gave it about 15 seconds and gave up. I assumed it would be nearly instantaneous.

Last edited:
(omg) I just tied on my cx7 and it didn't work.. How long do you have to hold down the am/fm button and the cd button for?

MX5RACER said:
Turn your radio on, turn the key off.
Hold FM/AM and CD button, while holding these buttons, turn the key to ACC.
Watch the display, it should say "DIS ON", as soon as you see this, turn the key to OFF, then start the car. Use the SET button to toggle through the options. Press the CLOCK button to get the clock back, now if only I could get it to display in MILES instead of Km!
Dumb question, but what do you mean by TRIP COMPUTER ? What are you measuring?

I've tried and tried. No luck. Any tips? There's got to be a trick to it...??

Thanks!

I just weeded through dozens of pages of Mazda3 owners trying the same trick. Some got it to work, some didn't.

Please, anyone who gets this to work post what radio you have (base model or 6-disc Bose) and the exact process you used to get it to work. :)

I have a sinking feeling those of us with Bose are gonna miss out...

Last edited:
Doesn't work on the Bose system Tried on my CX-7 and it works ($4G for upgraded stereo, yea right). Tried on my MS6 w/Bose no-go.

Anyone know how to make it read in US units instead of SI?

:'( I've just confirmed this only works on the base models, it won't work on the BOSE units.

Yup, the Tech Package people luck out again. Damn, iPod integration is not compatible and no Trip Computer.

Okay, so I got the display to work. When I start my CX-7, the display shows the usual trip computer stuff. However after I start driving, the display goes blank, shows "- - - -". Anyone know why?

I have the base stereo.

MZ CX-7 AB said:
Okay, so I got the display to work. When I start my CX-7, the display shows the usual trip computer stuff. However after I start driving, the display goes blank, shows "- - - -". Anyone know why?

I have the base stereo.

But do you have the tech package? Is so, how did you get around it? There's no set or clock buttons on the tech package.

Back