Mazda5 reliability - how does it compare?

Increase to 26.22

I've managed to up my mileage due to a few trips to Boulder. I spend about 35 miles each way on the freeway, unless I go the foothill route (hilly). I've had 2 of 3 of my last tanks over 30 MPG.

I took a survey for my other van at True Delta, but it added a Dodge Caravan to my account.

Last edited:
People who've had no repairs are just as important as those who have. We want an accurate estimate of the average repair rate.

The latest results have been posted. The 2006 and 2007 both did better than the average--initial problems with the 2006 now seem to be behind it.

No result for the 2008 because not enough owners have signed up to participate.

For the full set of results, and sign up to help (if you haven't already):

TrueDelta Vehicle Reliability Survey results

Latest results of the survey recently posted. The repair record for the 2006 is about average, maybe a bit better. The 2007 appears to require fewer repairs, but the sample size is marginal, so that result is asterisked. Not enough participants for the 2008.

Additional participants needed for the Mazda5, especially for the 2007 and 2008, for more complete results next time.

Last edited:
It's been three months, so the results for the Mazda5 have been updated again.

Repair rates, in terms of successful repair trips per 100 vehicles per year:

2006: 68, about average

2007: 17, much better than average--but small sample size

2008: not quite enough owners signed up

Additional participants would be very helpful for all years, and especially 2007 on.

For the full set of results, and to sign up to help:

Me, too.

It looks like I'll be taking mine in for the front bushing (and possible steering) crunching, squeaking and popping issue. It is very cold and dry today which seems to have caused all sorts of strange front end noises.

I'm in, as always. I really appreciate the site and the information. Happily, I basically never have anything to report! :)

Mine went back to making the noises. I'll probably upgrade suspension on my own (with 3 parts) after the warranty is up.

It looks like I'll be taking mine in for the front bushing (and possible steering) crunching, squeaking and popping issue. It is very cold and dry today which seems to have caused all sorts of strange front end noises.

TrueDelta has released updated Car Reliability Survey results for the Mazda5.

The 2006 Mazda5 repair rate continues to be about average, though it's now close to being "better than average."

The reported repair rate for the 2007 Mazda5 is much lower, suggesting that reliability improved for the second model year, but the sample size is small.

The 2008 and 2009 are not yet included in the survey--need more owners to sign up first. The 2008 is close...

A big thanks to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in May, August, and November, so additional participants would certainly be helpful. Especially for the 2007+.

TrueDelta now has a separate results page for each model. The one of the Mazda5:

Mazda Mazda5 reliability comparisons

There's also a page with the descriptions of all reported repairs.

I just entered my TrueDelta reliability info for this quarter and, as usual, nothing to report. I see the 2008 still does not have enough owners reporting.

My overall gas mileage is consistently 26-27 mpg.

I have actually seen about five other Mazda5s in San Antonio in the last three months. Of course, I am not in a position to contact them when I see them. (I think most of them are a Sport model.) The one other Mazda5 owner I did talk to said their car was also an Enterprise Rental fleet car. North Park Mazda here in San Antonio claims to be the largest Mazda seller in the USA, and I have seen a lot of Mazda5s on the lot. They must be selling them out of town.

We have updated results for the Mazda5 to include owner experiences through March 2009. In terms of successful repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2007: 15, better than average, but small sample size

2006: 78, about average

A big thanks to this forum and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in August and November. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years. The 2008 was recently added to the survey, but we probably still need a few more participants to get it into future results.

Number of owners currently signed up:

2006: 69

2007: 33

2008: 25

2009: 17

So, especially need more for 2007 and up so we can provide full results for these years.

Help us provide a full result for your year:

Car reliability research

We have updated results for the Mazda5 to include owner experiences through June 2009. In terms of successful repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2007: 22, better than average, but small sample size

2006: 75, about average

A big thanks to this forum and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in November and February. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

Updated results again later this month.

We're going to start providing new stats for the odds of requiring no repairs and the odds of getting a lemon. These require larger sample sizes, so additional participants would be helpful.

For the details, and to sign up:

Car reliability research

We have updated results for the Mazda5 to include owner experiences through September 30, 2009. In terms of successful repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2009: no repairs reported yet, 17 owners reporting (small sample size)

2008: insufficient responses

2007: 34, better than average

2006: 72, about average

We've also introduced two new statistics, "Nada-odds" and "Lemon-odds," to indicate the percentage of cars with no repairs in the past year and those that required 3+ trips to the repair shop.

For the 2006, the percentage with no repairs is about 57, and the percentage of lemons is about 4. These stats require more data, so we don't yet have them for other model years.

Nada-odds and Lemon-odds car reliability stats

A big thank you, once again, to Antoine, this forum, and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in February and May. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

We have updated results for the Mazda5 to include owner experiences through December 31, 2009. In terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2009: no repairs reported yet, 17 owners reporting (small sample size)

2008: 33, better than average, very small sample size

2007: 43, better than average

2006: 77, about average

We have two additional statistics, "Nada-odds" and "Lemon-odds," to indicate the percentage of cars with no repairs in the past year and those that required 3+ trips to the repair shop.

For the 2006, the percentage with no repairs is about 57, and the percentage of lemons is about 7. These stats require more data, so we don't yet have them for other model years.

Nada-odds and Lemon-odds car reliability stats

A big thank you, once again, to Antoine, this forum, and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in May and August. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

Latest posts

Back