Mazda5 reliability - how does it compare?

P5w3kids

:
2003 P5
In late 2005 I started conducting my own reliability research at TrueDelta.com. We're reporting absolute repair rates, not just dots, to make the differences between cars much clearer. We're also promptly updating results four times a year, to track cars closely as they age.

Thanks to the help of this forum and its members, for which I am very grateful, we've been reporting results for the Mazda5 for a while now. But more participants remain needed.

Participants report repairs the month after they occur on a one-page survey. When there are no repairs, they simply report an approximate odometer reading four times a year, at the end of each quarter.

To encourage participation, panel members will receive full access to the results free of charge.

Details: Vehicle reliability research

Last edited:
I've been on the panel with our 5 for months. Not much to report except I hate the headrests and the car is (otherwise) great!

Thanks, I appreciate your help.

As you probably recognize, I only collect data currently on problems that can be repaired, not the more subjective items like the headrest. The latter is also valuable info, but much more problematic to put numbers on.

Current counts: 37 2006s and 9 2007s.

Only 14 of the 37 2006 owners have responded this month, an usually low percentage. I need 15 responses to post results to the members-only part of the results, and 20 for the public page. (Results based on fewer than 20 responses I don't consider official.)

In other words, if you're signed up but haven't responded yet this month, please do so. This is the survey you access through links in the email I send.

The Mazda5 is among the asterisked unofficial results this month. There were not enough responses to make the results official, just 16. The minimum for the results to be considered official is 25.

The average repair rate was fairly high from this limited number of responses, 0.9 successful repair trips per year. With more responses, it would be clearer whether or not this result is accurate.

If you helped make these results possible, thanks. If you're not currently helping out, please consider doing so.

TrueDelta Vehicle Reliability Survey results

Sorry for the delayed response, I was on vacation.

Unless there are major product differences, such as those with the Honda Accord and Ford Focus, I don't currently separate out results by region. In the future I will be noting any differences by powertrain.

I just signed up. Thing is, I've not had to do anything to my 06 5 nor my 07 5. Especially since my 07 only has 1200 miles. :)

Does it report favorable if there is someone registered with you but doesn't report problems? Or must I report that there were/are no problems?

The data are collected going forward to minimize bias, so your repair history isn't relevant (except to the separate and optional Repair History Survey).

The process works like this:

1. Report any repairs the month after they happen

2. Report an approximate odometer reading the first month then at the end of every quarter, even if there have been no repairs; only cars that "check in" at the end of the quarter are included in the analysis

Other people have suggested that I combine model years. I'm wary of this. All kinds of unpublicized design changes can occur from year to year, and older vehicles are, well, older. At some point that's bound to make a difference.

There's also a paradox involved: if I had enough responses to tell whether the two samples could responsibly be combined, there would be little reason to combine them. As it is, I don't have nearly enough responses for the 2007.

I and my 2007 have just signed up. I am also interested in joining the fuel economy survey as I suspect my car is returning above average economy (30.1 MPG average calculated over the last ten tanks) Glad to help.

How the heck are you doing that? I take it you are on the highway a lot. It's funny... I have a 2.3 mile commute which makes for lousy gas mileage (especially in snow). But a tank will last me forever. When I get good gas mileage, the tank lasts me 3 or 4 days.

I and my 2007 have just signed up. I am also interested in joining the fuel economy survey as I suspect my car is returning above average economy (30.1 MPG average calculated over the last ten tanks) Glad to help.

Aimwo4 I have a very long reasonably steady speed commute that happens to fall right in the sweet spot of this cars "economy zone" 68 miles one way at an average speed of 60 MPH. When I flog it mercilessly my mileage falls off to about 26 MPG but most of the time I am between 29 and 30 MPG. A tank lasts me 400-420 miles like clockwork. And yes I do love this car...

That sounds about right. I just went from Dec 24th - Jan 12 on a tank. I only went about 250 miles on 11.9 gallons, but look how long I went! (bow)

Aimwo4 I have a very long reasonably steady speed commute that happens to fall right in the sweet spot of this cars "economy zone" 68 miles one way at an average speed of 60 MPH. When I flog it mercilessly my mileage falls off to about 26 MPG but most of the time I am between 29 and 30 MPG. A tank lasts me 400-420 miles like clockwork. And yes I do love this car...

(nana)Damn! If I went that long between fill-ups I would forget which side of the car the gas door was on every time! LOL I'm glad I dont drive something bigger that gets really crummy mileage. For example a Suburban or Escalade at 12 MPGX26 gallons=312 mile range, divide by my daily total 136 miles = me getting a Friend Of OPEC sticker!

Funny! I do have to look at my gas guage to jar my mind as to which side the filler cap is on.

(nana)Damn! If I went that long between fill-ups I would forget which side of the car the gas door was on every time! LOL I'm glad I dont drive something bigger that gets really crummy mileage. For example a Suburban or Escalade at 12 MPGX26 gallons=312 mile range, divide by my daily total 136 miles = me getting a Friend Of OPEC sticker!

60 MPH would be around the sweet spot. Maybe a bit lower. Above that and the engine is spinning too fast.

Back to the main topic, there will be updated results for the 2006 and 2007 in a week or so. The latter result will be asterisked for insufficient sample size. Additional participants would be very helpful for all years.

Details and links to the enrollment form here:

Vehicle reliability research

Latest posts

Back