NoGo on my iPod

my CX-9 + iPod experience so far

I purchased a CX-9 AWD GT with Navigation, Moonroof/Bose, Power Rear Hatch, towing pkg, and had them throw in the iPod integration module and iPod switching box. I'm not sure what the extras cost as I bought my car through a friend at Ford using one of the employee plans.

I went to 2 different dealers looking for the exact car i wanted and neither knew any details about how the iPod parts worked, if they worked, or which parts were needed. I found the info i wanted in forums like this one (and another). One guy at a dealer told me the iPod module wouldn't charge the iPod, another said i didn't need the switching box, blah blah it went on and on. I took about a month for them to get the 2 iPod parts in.

So... I picked up the car tonight, plugged in my iPod and... NOTHING. :-( When i plug the iPod into the integration module (which comes out of a little hole in the back of the glove compartment) the iPod turns on, shows a big checkmark, then shows the Mazda logo and i can tell it's charging. The iPod stuff came with a manual that says you push "CD" on the nav system once the iPod is plugged in to play music off it. When i push "CD" it just plays the cd's i have in the changer. So i tried taking all the cd's out, and then it just says "No Disc" and "please insert disc". Hmm... i read about other peoples troubles here so i decided to check everything else out. CD changer still works, and i tested out both the "cigarette lighter" (gfor lack of a better term) outlet under the console and the one in the center arm rest and both work fine. Plugged my iPod into the AUX port, pressed "Media" on my radio and it worked fine. It actually sounded pretty good over the Aux (but sitting in a parking lot).

I'll be calling the dealer tomorrow in hopes they know what to do to get it working. Also plan to try a few other iPod's of co-workers to be sure it isn't a weird firmware issue (my iPod Nano is on 1.3.1 i think) - the manual says any Nano firmware 1.1 or higher will work.

If anyone has any questions i'm happy to answer them based on my experience so far.

So, you have both the AUX input in the center console AND the iPod module coming from your glove box? That is very interesting.. Is it the factory iPod module or an aftermarket?

Craig

From the iPod integration manual:

1. If there is no CD inserted in the audio unit:
AM/FM/MD/Cassette ‘EX’ (iPod input mode)

2. If a CD is inserted in the audio unit:
AM/FM/MD/Cassette ‘CD’ ‘EX’ (iPod input mode)

Afterwards, it switches between ‘CD’ and ‘EX’ each time the CD button is pressed.

I haven't tried it because I ordered one, read the manual before having the dealer install it, and had them return it!

I'm using a Harman/Kardon Drive+Play instead. Works great!

CX-9 AWD GT w/ Navigation + iPod (doesn't work?)

So, you have both the AUX input in the center console AND the iPod module coming from your glove box? That is very interesting.. Is it the factory iPod module or an aftermarket?

They put the (Mazda) factory iPod switching box and factory iPod integration module in. Today at the dealer, they spent a little while trying to figure out why it's not working and came back with the conclusion that it is not possible to use the integrated iPod with the Navigation system whether you have the switching box or not. They said the switching box is ONLY to allow you to use the AUX with Sirius Sat Radio.

I swear i've read about other people with this same setup and it's working (touchscreen navigation, moonroof/bose, ipod switching box, ipod integration module). TIme for some research i guess...

I swear, this just indicates that the service guys have no clue what is going on.
The switching box instructions show that you can have either the ipod module or Sirius with the switch box. Not both.
Call the Mazda USA hotline and speak with a rep. Have them call the service dept and clear it up.

Unfortunately, the Mazda USA hotline reps also do not know that it is possible to get this working correctly. Their standard answer is that "the iPod integration module is not compatible with the Navigation system."

What makes it confusing is the Mazda reps are right, when talking about the CX-7 with Navi. They don't realize that there actually is something different with the setup in the CX-9 that allows ipod + Navi.

Back