NoGo on my iPod

Official Response from Mazda USA

Well, I too purchased a CX-9 Grand Touring last month and was sorely disappointed to learn the auxillary port didn't work with the Sirius radio. The dealership had no clue, or at least acted like it, and I had to tell them about the switchbox per the label inside the console next to the port.

I paid about $250.00 and had the switch box installed last Monday. Now the aux port works through the Media button on the Nav/Audio system.

I am ticked about this and it is totally ruining my attitude about Mazda.

I wrote MazdaUSA pointing out that they disclosed no information about this port not working with the Sirius installed. It isn't noted anywhere on the web site or in their owner's manual. They do disclose that you cannot have the Rear Seat Entertainment system with the moon roof. My question, why not post the same disclaimer about the aux port so at least the buyer is informed?

I feel really burned because I read everything I could get my hands on about this car prior to my purchase decision.

Well -- here is what I received in response from Mazda USA:

---
Thanks for contacting Mazda.

The Switchbox is required for vehicles that have the iPod port and Sirius satellite radio. These two items use the same connecting port therefore, Mazda has to install a switch that will allow you to switch from the iPod capability to the Sirius satellite radio. Upon the purchase of the vehicle, the dealer should have informed you of this matter and that this part would be required. This is a dealer sales issue and you will have to work with the dealer in further detail for any possible assistance. Your comments have been documented here at headquarters.

Again, thank you for contacting Mazda.
----

Which leads me to ask, "Why didn't you install the darned switch at the factory?"

While I'm now "thrilled" that my comments are documented at headquarters, I am still out another $250.00 paying for something that I was led to believe was already available on the car that I purchased.

They say go to the dealer...well, the dealer wasn't willing to do anything but take more of my money to order a part (backordered for more that 10 days) to make the port work.

Buyer Beware! Mazda is deceiving customers with this one and now I will write the Better Business Bureau.

I had read a lot of posts on CX-9 boards, so I had some idea of what to expect. So when I purchased my CX-9, I got the dealer to throw in the installation if I purchased the part. Better than nothing I guess.

I don't have Sirius, but am about to try my iPod with the unit -- I thought the deal was that the system was supposed to give info about the track/album/song/artist if you used an iPod or other MP3 player. Is that wrong? As for moving through the stuff on the iPod, where are the controls? The ones on the steering wheel?

See Post #18 for Operation of IPOD with Switch installed

FiveG said:
I don't have Sirius, but am about to try my iPod with the unit -- I thought the deal was that the system was supposed to give info about the track/album/song/artist if you used an iPod or other MP3 player. Is that wrong? As for moving through the stuff on the iPod, where are the controls? The ones on the steering wheel?

See Post #18 for Operation of IPOD with Switch installed. Pretty basic controls. No album/artist/song title, etc. Keep in mind, it's only a band-aid fix for a 1st year vehicle. Mazda evidently didn't realize that some folks just can't exist without being attached to their IPODS at all times and overlooked integrating them into the CX-9 audio system. I feel certain this will be corrected in future models, but folks, lets get real here. This minor ommision shouldn't detract one iota from an otherwise fantastic automobile. And since when did anyone trust or believe what a car dealer told you without doing your own independant research before laying down the cash? This IPOD issue has been well documented and beat-to-death on this and other boards since the beginning. No offense intended FiveG, just a little less whining from some of you kids. The car rocks! (guitar) (cheers)

Frankly, I wasn't "whining" on that, but instead asking. IPOD use is low on my priorities on this -- they have this weird thing called a "CD-changer" that seems to allow one to play music, after all -- but so long as it's supposedly there, I'm trying to understand it.

For what it's worth, when I plugged in my IPOD and pressed the media button on the NAVI system, the screen just read "Audio," but I can change songs, playlists, etc. on the Ipod as if it was some headphones. So, I'm fine with all that.

Last edited:
FiveG said:
Frankly, I wasn't "whining" on that, but instead asking. IPOD use is low on my priorities on this -- they have this weird thing called a "CD-changer" that seems to allow one to play music, after all -- but so long as it's supposedly there, I'm trying to understand it.

For what it's worth, when I plugged in my IPOD and pressed the media button on the NAVI system, the screen just read "Audio," but I can change songs, playlists, etc. on the Ipod as if it was some headphones. So, I'm fine with all that.

The CD change is the only audio source that uses the CenterPoint feature, but my iPod holds about 1000 CD's of music. Once again, quality vs. convenience!

DeanSweet said:
hey RC51, you a member on Rogue?

Yes I am, or was- I think that I have a life membership. Great site! I just haven't been active on it in a long time. BTW, I'm riding my 2nd RC51- love them twins!!! You?

Ok so I have a CX7 with the Tech Package and Sirius and thus far there is no solution for using an Ipod with our vehicles equipped even with just the Nav system not to mention Sirius. I'm just curious if this Aux jack is built into the car and if so where is it on the CX9. Just trying to get a feel for if this is a possible fix for us in the CX7 community

lisevolution said:
Ok so I have a CX7 with the Tech Package and Sirius and thus far there is no solution for using an Ipod with our vehicles equipped even with just the Nav system not to mention Sirius. I'm just curious if this Aux jack is built into the car and if so where is it on the CX9. Just trying to get a feel for if this is a possible fix for us in the CX7 community

The AUX jack is in the middle console. It works great as long as you don't have the navi or sat radio. If you have either of those 2 the dealer has to install a part to make everything functionable. I don't have either and it works fine.

Navi with no Sirius

Just got a call from my dealer, had it in to get the homelink mirror and ipod connector installed. They are saying the standard ipod connector kit will not work with the Navi. I do not have Sirius installed. So my question is will the connector work without the switchbox or do I need both? Dealer is of course clueless...

Thanks!

From what i have gathered, the ipod integration unit does not work with Navi, Sirius or not.
You have to go through the aux connector.
I had them put it in the switch as part of my deal for the CX-9 since I have Navi and Sirius.
Its not the best solution, but it beats RF modulation.

mammut said:
Just got a call from my dealer, had it in to get the homelink mirror and ipod connector installed. They are saying the standard ipod connector kit will not work with the Navi. I do not have Sirius installed. So my question is will the connector work without the switchbox or do I need both? Dealer is of course clueless...

Thanks!

sbmrinaldi said:
The AUX jack is in the middle console. It works great as long as you don't have the navi or sat radio. If you have either of those 2 the dealer has to install a part to make everything functionable. I don't have either and it works fine.
I had a feeling that was the case... Mazda definitely f'd up with the whole Ipod integration thing. The CX7 doesn't even have that option built into it regardless of Nav or Sirius. As of now there is no solution nor potential solution to fix this for us. Be thankful Mazda at least thought of something to fix this for the CX9! It's pretty stupid if you ask me especially since the CX7 and 9 are targeted specifically at the Gen X/Y demo and we all love our toys.

lisevolution said:
... It's pretty stupid if you ask me especially since the CX7 and 9 are targeted specifically at the Gen X/Y demo and we all love our toys.

It's even more annoying since Ford / Mazda signed an agreement with Apple specifically to provide better integration into their vehicles AND Mazda makes a big deal about it! VERY disappointing.

I just bought a new Grand Touring model CX-9 with the Navigation, Sirius but no rear entertainment system. I'm not sure reading all these posts, will installing this switch allow me to listen to the MP3 player through the Aux port in the arm rest?

I have a CX-9 GT with Bose RSES, no navi. Console AUX-IN works now, Media button switches between RSES and AUX. I want to add Sirius, but keep the AUX-IN. Does anyone know for certain if I need the switchbox for this?

Also, dealer wants MSRP for Sirius and switch, plus another $145 for install. Would you recommend that I go somewhere else?

See above,
I think you need the switch, but I'm not sure in your config.
The radio only has one port on the back so if you have Sirius, you need to the switch to move between the aux and sat.

We have a GT AWD with Navi (assistance package with poiwer liftgate) and Bose (moonroof package, not RSES). Our AUX port works just fine, and we're now using it for our ipod. My wife wants to get the Sirius receiver installed. It looks like we'll need that switchbox, even though there are separate SAT and MEDIA buttons on the radio. But if we get that switchbox installed along with the receiver, the AUX port should still work fine, along with the Sirius, CD, and FM/AM tuner, right?

Last edited:
Back