rotors and pads

Mustard97

:
03.5 MSP
hey guys, well i'm preparing for a track day this april, i'm up on my maint (all fluid is new etc) i need to ugrade my front brakes though, any suggestions for rotors and pads? i would like to go drilled/slotted and possibly hawk pads, but where can i get them?
and a quick question about divertor valves, what brand is the best? i'm not planning to run more then 10psi ever in this car

Definitely go with solid rotors if you are going to the track. I've had very good luck with Advanced Auto Parts rotors. They seem to have a good casting supplier.
For fluid, you will want to make sure the boiling points are above 550 degrees F for dry and 400 degrees for wet. I like ATE Super Blue because it works well and is inexpensive.
Check out this thread for pad info: http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117091&highlight=brake

What track day are you going to? I'll be at all the OH-IN region NASA events.

why do you suggest solid rotors over cross drilled? wouldn't cross drilling help heat dissepation more then solid?

i'm heading to gingerman raceway with chicago vw club in april for a track day

cross drilled rotors are prone to cracking. go with slotted. at most, get dimpled/slotted

ImportUnlimited said:
why do you suggest solid rotors over cross drilled? wouldn't cross drilling help heat dissepation more then solid?

i'm heading to gingerman raceway with chicago vw club in april for a track day

More mass=faster cooling so solid rotors are better in that respect. Cross drilled are only good because they shed some weight, but the cooling, cost and longevity issues make that insignificant IMO. I've had good luck with Centric brand OEM replacement rotors and EBC yellow pads. I will be trying the Hawk Blue when its time for new pads though.

based on street use experience, i had a positive experience with slotted rotoras

Yeah, I have drilled rotors only because I bought them used and cheap, and won't do it again. Something else you lose is rotor surface area. My e-brake doesn't work as well now, lol. Not enough grip. I'll be going back to solid, or maybe slotted. I'm worried about the slotted wearing my pads out faster.

I lapped a good dozen times (20 min. sessions each) last years and half the time was on a brake abusing track.

I was using Motul RBF600 brake oil, OEM Mazda solid brake rotors and Grand Sport GS5 front and AXXIS I don't know what rear pads. Never ran out of brakes. I also make sure to not let my rotors get too thin. That's when they warp because they cannot sufficiently dissipate the heat. And almost all my lapping buddies swear by solid rotors. The ones that do not, they go through 2-3 rotor and pad sets compare to the 1 a year for most of us.

ImportUnlimited said:
hey guys, well i'm preparing for a track day this april, i'm up on my maint (all fluid is new etc) i need to ugrade my front brakes though, any suggestions for rotors and pads? i would like to go drilled/slotted and possibly hawk pads, but where can i get them?
and a quick question about divertor valves, what brand is the best? i'm not planning to run more then 10psi ever in this car

If you want a street/semi track pad, I would recommend the Axxis Ultimates. If you overheat those, then you probably need to go to a race pad. I've tried to get Hawk to make the HP+ line but they are not interested in that. The Hawk HPS's suck compared to the Axxis Ultimates btw... If you need anything, PM me and I can give you a quote. Thanks.

The dimples are there to give you the "drilled look", without the rotor actually being drilled. To me, that's borderline insanity. Why kill that much surface area for no possible braking benefit? Just go solid, or if (like me) you want your rotors to have a touch of bling, maybe go slotted. I'm now seeing what others tried to tell me... the rest is just marketing hype.

Back