sudden power loss

cilyjr

Contributor
:
manual, MP5 2002
Hey all,
My P5 has a new problem. From time to time while driving I will experience what I guess can be described as a momentary loss of horsepower. If I would either let up on the gas or floor it for a second it would clear up. The car would drive fine but the check engine light would come on for a couple of days than go out. The other day I was driving and the same happened again only the power loss didnt go away after a second it kept up (I was blocked in the fast lane nobody would let me over!)And I was maxing out at about 40MPH floored in 4th gear. When I got to pull over the car sounded like it was running (barely) on 2 cylinders. I turned it off and sat there for a second. When I turned the car back on it was fine except the light was back on. I had the code read and the only code I got was that there was an engine misfire. So knowing there could be anyone of a million things wrong with it I figured I would ask and see if anyone else has experienced this.

cilyjr said:
When I got to pull over the car sounded like it was running (barely) on 2 cylinders.

Maybe it was. Check that the connectors going to your coil packs are tight and that the connectors are clean. If that looks good then check the coil packs themselves. Look on

http://protege5.ugly.net/

in the ignition section, it says how to test the coil packs. .

i thought about the coil packs. i know it was misfiring on atleast one cylinder. i think maybe 2 though

Back