PG Coolant Tank

some examples of where to mount a catch can.

catchcan02.jpg

catchcan01.jpg

That's where I saw a problem as well...I have mine set up like nutari right now and it can't get collant from the can...the hose from the can to the rad has to be mounted towards the bottom of the can for it to work properly, or at least I would think. I am about to order two of those though, one for an oil catch can and the other for coolant.

MSpeed2397 said:
That's where I saw a problem as well...I have mine set up like nutari right now and it can't get collant from the can...the hose from the can to the rad has to be mounted towards the bottom of the can for it to work properly, or at least I would think. I am about to order two of those though, one for an oil catch can and the other for coolant.
eh? I thought it was an overflow tank.. to catch overflow from the radiator? not the other way around..

I thought it drew the excess collant back in once it cooled down...I could be wrong though. Actually...yes...I am most likely wrong seeing as that the rad. cap is pressurized and obviously should not normally let coolant out.

no i would think it would draw it back in because mine ends up empty alot and its not the tanks that leaks its the radiator

Stock is not a catch tank, its a RESERVOIR. Yes it will draw from that when the engine is hot and release when the engine is cool.

hey, i've got this installed. Rather than drilling a hole or buying some resevoir specific piece, you can just get some small 1/4" O.D. tubing, stick it through the nipple at the top, till it about touches the bottom of the can. Then just pull it out a little bit, use some gasket maker (i used water pump and t-stat gasket maker, just make sure its the kind that hardens not the kind that stays tacky), then you just shove the tube back in and it should seal it up and hold it in place. That way you get a nice vacuum effect going on, and it works as a reservoir. I've got pics posted somewhere, i'll dig em up after class at some point.

when you find them post them up, just in case someone else wants to know also. but i am searching for your pics now

The coolant tank that Nutari posted appears to be the WeaponR tank. I have the Weapon R tank as well and don't have an issue with it. However, the radiator will draw coolant back in so I have it set up in the following way:

One nipple is capped off with a threaded plug. The other nipple has a hose on it that I routed down toward the ground and this is if the tank overflows, the coolant is routed away from exploding all over the engine and instead dumps on the ground. The bottom of the WeaponR tank has a threaded plug. I removed the plug and found a screw in brass barb fitting that is screwed into the bottom of the tank. I have the radiator hose leading to this fitting and this allows coolant to overflow to the tank or when the radiator needs it, take it from the overflow tank.

If you have your radiator hose connected to one of the top nipples, there is no way for the radiator to take coolant when it needs it unless you rig up an internal hose that runs from the nipple to bottom of the tank.

Hope that helps.

Mark

I have the weapon R can from PG and it works great. I took a different route to the coolant return method. On the bottom of the can there is already a drain plug, unscrew it and fit it with a $0.97 barbed fitting from Lowe's and call it a day. The reasoning I went this method is this retains the stock gravity feed design. If you are running a tube down the inside of the can you are vacuum feeding, however if you were to ever have a radiator cap failure and lose your vacuum in the radiator you would not pull that coolant back into the radiator and eventually run dry (provided there is a leak) even though you would still have coolant in the can. With it gravity feeding it always tops off the radiator and if there was a failure with the cap and a leak I would know because the site glass would tell me it is empty. Good reason to watch your site glass.

Back