Extended Warranty

Partsguy

:
Mazda 5
Just wondering if anyone has gone for the extended warranty?

I was in the dealership last week and to double the warranty ( 6Yr, 160,00 KM), it would cost about $1,200.

I am thinking about this factory warranty extension and just wondering if anyone else has?

Partsguy

Unless you lose your tranny or engine, youd probably be hard pressed to spend over $400 a year during years 4,5 and 6 on repairs. If it appears that your 5 is becoming problematic in the middle of year 3 and you're having second thoughts, you can always purchase this later on, too... albeit at a higher cost. Regardless, youre probably better off keeping your money and sticking it somewhere in a rainy day fund thatll grow interest ;)

Partsguy said:
Just wondering if anyone has gone for the extended warranty?

I was in the dealership last week and to double the warranty ( 6Yr, 160,00 KM), it would cost about $1,200.

I am thinking about this factory warranty extension and just wondering if anyone else has?

Partsguy

Yea I have one also, but only because the dealer lowered my interest rate to keep the payments the same, dealers make a crap load of money on them. Included we also got oil changes for the first 48,000miles. The warranty is 100,000/6years with a $100 deductible. I know better than to pay for a warranty that covers us at the same time as factory warranty,but the wife would not listen and wanted it now. If only she had waited until close to when the factory warranty expires Mazda would have sent us papers telling us how we could be an extended warranty from Mazda. You should wait until then.

I'm with jandree22, put the money away for that purpose, you might not need it and you save youself 1200 bucks.

I bought the 10yr 100,000 mile Total Care Mepp with $100 deductible for $1,138 online from Morande Lincoln Mercury Mazda. I figured it this way, the most I will ever pay for a repair for years 5-10 is $100. Maybe it is a sucker purchase but I can sleep better as a result of it.

We got the extended warranty. I figure with 3 kids, our "normal wear" might be a little rougher than intended, that's why we went for it.

I'm getting a sliding door lock replaced tomorrow. I guess you could call it a free $1200 repair!

Our expectation when purchasing any new vehicle is for it to be reasonably durable. If it is not reasonably durable, we can sue, AND force any manufacturer to fix their faulty items. Phil Edmonston's Lemon Aid guide dictates how reasonable judges in the court will expect our vehicles to last.

All you have to do is to mention the lack of being 'reasonably durable', most service managers will know what your referring to (your educated about expectations for car reliability), and what your next steps are (legal action).

Not that I'm a betting man, I'd put a lot of faith that just by threating to take it to the next level, most SM's will offer a deal to repair items off warranty.

If you spend the money on the warranty, think about how you could of spent it on a nice big LCD screen TV. :)

Dont get it unless you really feel that your car is very unreliable and in that case you should just dump the car while you can.

I bought the extended warranty on the last 3 cars I owned. As with many others here, I never needed to use it but it was the sense of security that made me decide to purchase it.

Here in Vancouver, if you buy the 6 yr / 160,000 Kms extended warranty for $1349 Cdn, you get "Club Zoom" card that allows you the free oil and filter with every oil change for the 6 years. Its worth about $30 because you will pay $20 for the labour only. Mazda's maintenance schedule indicates oil changes at every 8,000 Kms. So 160,000 divided by 8,000 is 20 oil changes, which equals $600 worth of free oil and filters (assuming you will do the service at Mazda, which I was planning to). If you look at it this way, the extended warranty only costs you $749 Cdn before tax. You also get the roadside assistance in USA/Canada for 6 years so if you are a member of AAA/BCAA, you can cancel that membership and save $36/$60 there.

Back