Ground gremlins??

Kooldino

MOTM Winner Jan '09
Authorized Vendor
Contributor
:
MP3
Fired up my car this morning.

Immediately, I noticed that it was making an odd noise, a high pitched whine, which would raise pitch with the RPM of the engine. Turned out to be my radar detector. I shut it off, and all was well. I chalked it up to my radar showing it's age.

A mile later, my head unit shut off on me, but turned back on. This kept happening the more I drove, and it began happening more frequently.

I always have a CEL in my car (since I don't have an EGR), but it caught my eye today...it appeared as if the voltage that the LED was receiving would vary, causing the intensity of the light to fluctuate constantly.

To top this off, when I would let off of the throttle, the car was still getting fuel somehow (even after I pulled over and unplugged my extra injectors). At anything below 3000rpm, I'd still run between a 12:1 and a 15:1 A:F ratio with my foot OFF of the throttle.

Weird.

My gut tells me that this is a grounding issue. Anyone have any input on where I should start looking? Does anyone have a grounding diagram of this car?

edit: Note - a similar episode happened once before with my stock head unit a few months ago. My head unit kept turning off, and my radar detector made the same noise. At the time, those were the only symptoms I noticed.

check the altenator...... i have seen this before with an altenator, overcharging and undercharging..

check your ground wires that the head unit and the radar detector run on. could be a broken/lose connector, as w/ my guage at one point.that would be a good possibility..especially w/ the fluxuations..it could be poppin in /out...did you install anything/mess w/ wires this weekend?

shaneMazda2000P said:
check the altenator...... i have seen this before with an altenator, overcharging and undercharging..

What's the best way of checking it?

boostdprotegelx said:
check your ground wires that the head unit and the radar detector run on. could be a broken/lose connector, as w/ my guage at one point.that would be a good possibility..

That's what I'm banking on, but I was hoping someone would know which ground point those two share.

especially w/ the fluxuations..it could be poppin in /out...did you install anything/mess w/ wires this weekend?

Me? Get to work on my own car? I wish. :/

Kooldino said:
That's what I'm banking on, but I was hoping someone would know which ground point those two share.

Me? Get to work on my own car? I wish. :/
i believe they ground on a metal bar under the radio..i remember installing ground points there when i did the dash install.

boostdprotegelx said:
multimeter.

Thanks cap'n obvious. :p

I was hoping for some detail...such as "use X as a ground point and read the power off of point Y, and your voltage should be Z".

Kooldino said:

I was hoping for some detail...such as "use X as a ground point and read the power off of point Y, and your voltage should be Z".
you could prolly get that from baggie...he's got a lot of know how.

umm...i suck at that stuff..SORRY I SUCK AT LIFE!!!!!!(eekfu)

Kooldino said:

get a battery/alt. load tester.. test the battery with the car off, with a load should hold 10v, start the car, should be 13to 14v and a load of 12v, rev the engine and see where the voltage goes.. shouldnt go higher than 14v,

if this doesnt sho any signs of fault, get a DMM and wire it to the back of the altenator, go drive the car, and watch the voltage..

there is a way to manualy check the alt.. but id have to look it up, its basically the same as checking diodes, since the altenator is a ac generator and has 4 diodes, converting it to dc..

Someone directed me to this post...not a bad idea in general, but I doubt it will solve this issue:

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2238935&postcount=2

They're about as helpfull as popping placebos. The gains are marginal at best.

Upgrading the ground wire between your battery and chassis is all that is really necessary and perhaps the wire between your alternator and positive battery post...but only if you plan on running high power components.

Hahahah! I upgraded the ground wire between my battery and the chasis. Try that ASAP at least.

I got the ground wire, but haven't gotten to install it yet.

In the meantime, it hasn't freaked out on me since that morning. WTF.

then it has to be a ground, if it was the alternator it would not stop happening.

check the grounds on both fuse boxes, inside the car and on the engine bay.

Back