'90 1.6L to '99 1.8L Swap (500 Mile Review 4/30/07)

Kevin,
Have you been keeping track of the COP thread over in MT? May give the CS car that much more of an advantage.
I'm going to try this. I have the wiring diagram from [Lazzer], and currently scouting ebay for coils :) looks like a pretty simple job if you keep the waste spark set up of OEM.

I'm going to try this. I have the wiring diagram from [Lazzer], and currently scouting ebay for coils :) looks like a pretty simple job if you keep the waste spark set up of OEM.

That's pretty much the way I plan on doing it. I have my eye on the only set that I could currently find on ebay. You better not nab 'em. ;)

well, i currently got a bid on a set, so... :p

With most of the work completed on the 1.8, it's time to get down to the grunt work of the swap and make this project come together.

Before I begin, however, I needed to modify the header to accept my wide band EGO in addtion to the narrow band. This really doesn't pertain to the swap, but I'll throw it in for fun.
bung.JPG

------------------------------------

Hello, I just started the same conversion, I am have a tough time with the VICS vacuum tubes hook up, if you could explain how you did yours would help greatly

Joe

On to the swap! I began disassembly of the Miater when she was still hot. I drove home from work, pulled into the garage, popped the hood, and began taking things apart.
16_lastin.JPG

...and promptly removed the engine. The donor lies in wait (evil) .
16_pull.JPG

The not-so-tired 1.6L is removed.
16_out.JPG

-----------------------------

With the 1.6L engine removed, I separated the transmission, removed the flywheel and clutch parts. Since I'll be reusing the flywheel (lighter version comes later), I had to have it surfaced before I reassbled everything to the 1.8L. I will be using a 3rd gen 1.8L Protege pressure plate as I was able to land a new one at a lesser cost than the Miata's (second hand). Dimensionally, they are the same, but I have yet to know if it'll work. I'm banking on the only difference between the two being the diaphram pressure (and I hope the Protege's is higher). I am reusing the clutch disk as the measured amount reveals plenty of service life remaining.

clutch_parts.JPG

And the clutch parts assembled and ready to go:
clutch_inst.JPG

----------------------------------

With everything assembled, it's time to get down to the crux of the situation. The 1.8L is finally ready to go in!

18_ready.JPG

Insert part A into part B....
18_insert.JPG

Without surprise, it fits (note the water neck).
18_inst.JPG

Beginning of the accessory installation!
18_access.JPG

Short of a few things, she's ready to fire. Final pics will come this week. Remaining installation includes the catalytic converter, O2 sensors, and a custom intake.

Hello, I just started the same conversion, I am have a tough time with the VICS vacum lines hook ups, if you could explain how you did yours would help greatly. Thanks

Joe

Back