Cargo tray for entire cargo area?

Crittias

Anyone know of a cargo tray or something similar that would cover the entire cargo area when the back seats are down? We have four dogs, so the seats will be down almost all the time, and we'd like to keep everything covered up if possible.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I don't have a photo of it, but what I did only takes a couple of hours of your time, not much money and some skilz. :)

Things you'll need:
- Roll of brown packing/craft paper (from Staples)
- Clear tape
- Magic marker
- Scisors
- Ruler
- Carpet knife or utility knife with NEW blades
- Carpet remnant of your choice/style (I went with berber)

I basically folded-down my seats.
Used the marker on the craft paper to "mark/trace" the contours inside the rear area. I would cut-off an appropriate size piece, lay it close to the sidewall or edge I was tracing and use one end of the ruler as a "scribe" and hold the marker in a few inches on the ruler... tracing the contour of the (wheelwell, moulding, edge, whatever) onto the paper, then I would trim that piece of paper with the scisors and lay into place and repeat the process throughout the rear interior... taping the pieces together as I went.

This creates a big template.

Tape this together well so it will NOT move or come-apart as you take it from the car.

Place your carpet face-down someplace where you can have room to work and then place this template FACE-DOWN TOO onto the back of the carpet.

Trace with magic marker.

Remove template.

Cut along line with carpet knife or Utility knife with NEW blade(s). (carpet dulls a blade really quick)

Test-fit to see it in-place... trim if necessary...

The LAST step involves finding someone local that does carpet binding... that cloth protective edge that you find along area rugs. It only cost me $25 to have that carpet bound.

Once it is bound, it should fit right in place, look nice and protect the back area. I think the whole thing cost me less than $60 and took (including driving to get the materials & carpet & binding) maybe 3 hrs.

If I can find any pics... I'll share 'em.

You must find it problematic to drive with the FRONT SEATS folded down..(smash) (rofl2)

No, it only covers the cargo area. I have it. It does not cover the rear seat backs when they are folded down.

If that is what you want, follow their suggestions to make on for yourself or cut up a pickup truck bed matt to fit.

(thumb)

Alpha Wolf said:
You must find it problematic to drive with the FRONT SEATS folded down..

That would be quite the trick, wouldn't it? :)

We're getting the regular cargo cover that Mazda sells. I may try to cut my own cover, but I'm thinking something like vinyl or the like so that I can just wipe it down after dirty dog paws have been in the car.

Thanks for all the tips/advice!

UpNorth said:
http://www.mazda.co.jp/accessories/web_cat/cx-7/cx-7.html?cx-7_cl

Check out Antoine's the thread about the accessories from Japan. The page linked (or not) above seems to show a cargo cover that covers the backs of the seats as well. It's in Japanese so I might be wrong, but it's something to check on. Good luck.

I saw that too... Looks like it covers the back of the seats. hmm... That looks like a good solution if we can get it.

Ok.. so the Japanese rear seat thing doesn't look like it covers the top part of the rear seat back. Also it looks like it's around $350+ from JapanParts.com and has some kind of fabric on it (which would pick up dog hair). A little too pricey for me unless someone can confirm how well it works.

I found 3 alternatives... (In order of which seemed to look best to me)

Cargoliner Ultimate Pet Liner
http://www.cargoliner.com/products.php?did=10001

I emailed them. This isn't available for the CX-7 yet and won't for a pretty long time unless someone is in the LA area and wants one. They told me to call them if I was in the LA area (I'm in Colorado).

Hatchbag
http://www.hatchbag.com/suvcargoliner_hatchbag.php

They told me they should have something in 6-8 weeks. Unsure how it would look in a CX-7.

Canine Cover Cargo Liner
http://www.caninecovers.com/cargo_liner.htm

Seems pretty basic. Not sure how it attaches to the rear seat or how durable it is. Also seems pretty big.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Currently I am using the Mazda Cargo tray for the bottom of the cargo area. I have one of those back seat liners hanging on the back of the rear seat (attached to the headrests) and the buttom is tucked under the cargo tray, to protect the back of the rear seat.

Attachments

• CX7Luggage.JPG
    CX7Luggage.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 432
Or.... you could just put an old blanket over it!

CX7_Scott said:
I don't have a photo of it, but what I did only takes a couple of hours of your time, not much money and some skilz. :)

Things you'll need:
- Roll of brown packing/craft paper (from Staples)
- Clear tape
- Magic marker
- Scisors
- Ruler
- Carpet knife or utility knife with NEW blades
- Carpet remnant of your choice/style (I went with berber)

I basically folded-down my seats.
Used the marker on the craft paper to "mark/trace" the contours inside the rear area. I would cut-off an appropriate size piece, lay it close to the sidewall or edge I was tracing and use one end of the ruler as a "scribe" and hold the marker in a few inches on the ruler... tracing the contour of the (wheelwell, moulding, edge, whatever) onto the paper, then I would trim that piece of paper with the scisors and lay into place and repeat the process throughout the rear interior... taping the pieces together as I went.

This creates a big template.

Tape this together well so it will NOT move or come-apart as you take it from the car.

Place your carpet face-down someplace where you can have room to work and then place this template FACE-DOWN TOO onto the back of the carpet.

Trace with magic marker.

Remove template.

Cut along line with carpet knife or Utility knife with NEW blade(s). (carpet dulls a blade really quick)

Test-fit to see it in-place... trim if necessary...

The LAST step involves finding someone local that does carpet binding... that cloth protective edge that you find along area rugs. It only cost me $25 to have that carpet bound.

Once it is bound, it should fit right in place, look nice and protect the back area. I think the whole thing cost me less than $60 and took (including driving to get the materials & carpet & binding) maybe 3 hrs.

If I can find any pics... I'll share 'em.

ok.. Got the stuff from Japanparts today. It took 17 days (really 10 business days). It came Express mail.

It is made out of some kind of cloth. Not really heavy duty, Maybe made out of seat fabric. We'll have to see how long it lasts. It looks pretty good. Held on with Velcro. The two covers on the back seats use velcro and they also tuck under the Latch connector.

Seems like it might attract less dog hair then the normal back seat fuzz. I'll have to let you know after I try it a bit. If the dogs figure out they can pull it up, this thing might really suck.

I've attached a picture.

Attachments

• SeatBackCover.jpg
    SeatBackCover.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 348
i wish they made the cargo liner like honda did for the pilot.

covers the backs of the 2nd row seats, all the way to the edge of the tailgate and up along the rear windows. really great piece.

Back