Man I can't change my high mount brake light

Sc00by

How do you change the high mount brake light on a 1999 Mazda Protege, the manual was a crappy diagram with no details, can any one help out thanks in advance.
Btw killer site/forum you guys got here im a past lurker but this issue caused me to register

you mean the one inside the car or on the spoiler?
if it's the one inside, just use a flat head screwdriver and it pops out.

Thanks bro, the manual coulda said something like that instead making me try to lift it out. Man im already loving being registered already.

Sc00by said:
Thanks bro, the manual coulda said something like that instead making me try to lift it out. Man im already loving being registered already.

Welcome to the forums:) As you have found out already there are a lot of helpfull people here.

Isnt that light required by law or something? Cuz I want to remove mine alltogether... I have a friggin spoiler light anyway....

If you have the spoiler light, you can normally remove it. In virginia it isn't even required, as long as the complete piece is missing.

cplagge said:
Isnt that light required by law or something? Cuz I want to remove mine alltogether... I have a friggin spoiler light anyway....

If you have the spoiler light definitely at least remove the bulb. You can buy the cover that goes in the place of the high brake light, but I'm not sure if it comes in any color other than charcoal.

Thats great news, cuz with my subs, it vibrates like hell. I will remove it tomarrow... know where I can get one of those covers?

i had the 3.5 speed wing. and it broke so i made due. since i did an ES interior swap and they dont have a cover or anything for the 3rd brake light.

i mounted the LED bar from the wing on my rear deck where it goes.

looks good at night. easy mod.

click link to see pic. http://www.mikehrebin.com/brake.jpg

cplagge said:

Not 100% sure, but I think auto manufacturers were required to include them on new cars after 1990 or so. It may not be legally required, but cops may still pull you over and issue a repair order.

Mine rattles like crap, one of the plastic tabs broke off and it sounds horrible with the sub up :(

$60 is pricey for another one. I'll probably just wait until I eventually get a speed wing.

D-rock240 said:
Not 100% sure, but I think auto manufacturers were required to include them on new cars after 1990 or so. It may not be legally required, but cops may still pull you over and issue a repair order.

Mine rattles like crap, one of the plastic tabs broke off and it sounds horrible with the sub up :(

$60 is pricey for another one. I'll probably just wait until I eventually get a speed wing.

I have 2 spares sitting in my garage right now, both tan. I'll give you a good deal on one of them...

sam1 said:
I have 2 spares sitting in my garage right now, both tan. I'll give you a good deal on one of them...

Hmm I'm interested. Can you take a pic when you get a chance? Thanks :)

D-rock240 said:

I had the same problem with mine, and when I did the interior swap, I took out the light to put the cover on and it still did it. all I did was put 4 pieces of double sided tape on all 4 sides and you'll be good to go, no vibrations at all.

you do not need the light inside the car IF you have a spoiler AND it has a brake light on the spoiler

it IS illegal to have 4 brake lights on the car (the 2 on the tail lights, 1 on the spoiler, and 1 inside the car) but obviously lots of people don't know about that and don't care either

Back