Power Liftgate When?

The dealers locally are getting them in as of now. I know they were a late production, but either they worked out the issues or they are pushing some to the lots with issues.

At the Chicago Auto show the Mazda rep told me that the early production GT models didn't include the memory seats since they were having issues as well. But the couple GT's I called on I verified the option was on the car.

Steve

737Capt said:
Anyone know when the power liftgate will be available?

That's interesting, because I just put in an order for a GT with the Grand Touring Assistance Package. The dealer told me that the power liftgate will not be available until August at the earliest. Trying to figure out what the real story is.

Is that an extra cost?.. will it be standard on a GT then what it is now?

737Capt said:
That's interesting, because I just put in an order for a GT with the Grand Touring Assistance Package. The dealer told me that the power liftgate will not be available until August at the earliest. Trying to figure out what the real story is.

So you can't get the "Assistance package" now or it will not come with the power lift gate now?

737Capt said:
It is at extra cost. The Grand Touring Assitance Package is an extra $2500 retail.

Whitesnake said:
So you can't get the "Assistance package" now or it will not come with the power lift gate now?

That's correct. You can only get the NAV & rear camera now. Most say summer for the power tailgate lift. Plus, to get either package you have to get the Bose/Sunroof or the RES (rear entertainment center)

auto_tracker said:
I just placed an order for one, I'm on the waiting list though.
Did they give you any information when you placed your order? Something that proves they placed the order for you?

Could anyone confirm (based on personal experience) the Retractable Cargo Cover (a.k.a. "Tonneau Cover" in Canada) is compatible with the power lift gate?

Retractable cargo cover.jpg

not in arizona

Power liftgate still not available in Arizona.

Power Lift Gate...

I can confirm that I was told by a salesman this week that the power lift gate is not compatible with the cargo cover. I asked why my Grand Touring model didn't have the cargo cover when a touring model did. Mine Grand Touring has the power lift gate so no cargo cover. I think it interferes with the sensors for the lift gate.

The Touring model only comes with the cargo cover as an option. I have the GT without the liftgate and it doesn't have the cargo cover either. I just went to the Mazda site to build one and the cover is a $205 option-not standard.

KRT-1 said:
Picked up our new CX-9 today in Denton, and the power liftgate works great.

Whats your opinion, why the cover is not compatible with PLG?
Can the cover be fitted afterwards?

Dalton said:
Whats your opinion, why the cover is not compatible with PLG?
Can the cover be fitted afterwards?

I dont get it either. The only problem I can imagine is on the left side of the cargo area, where the drive is installed. (See the hump shown on the pictures). This might collide with the cargo cover (other picture). But you know what? If that was the only problem I would trim the cargo cover to the correct shape in no time. terryj43 has mentioned earlier a potential interference with PLG sensors, too.

power liftgate.jpg

Power lift 4.jpg

Power lift 6.jpg

Considering the extremely long delivery time, I have settled for a non-power lift gate model, convincing myself with the following: I have approx. 15 cm (!!!) left between the bumper and my garage door, which rendered the thing a.) relatively useless, b.) dangerous, if I incidentally pushed the PLG button on the remote with the garage door closed.

OMF said:
I have settled for a non-power lift gate model, convincing myself with the following: I have approx. 15 cm (!!!) left between the bumper and my garage door, which rendered the thing a.) relatively useless, b.) dangerous, if I incidentally pushed the PLG button on the remote with the garage door closed.
That was actually exactly my thinking as well. I specifically didn't want the PLG and in Canada, once available, PLG is not an optional accessory any longer, but rather standard equipment. Hence the 2007 model purchase.

Back on topic, I opted out of the tonneau cover as well. It's not needed, you can't see anything in the back of the CX-9 from the outside without it anyways, and I think it would get in the way more than help anything. And the accessory price is expectedly ridiculous for what it is. So, it might be worth considering that this is a moot discussion.

the PLG uses bump strips and not a sensor to control the liftgate.

there is what looks like an extra weatherstrip around the liftgate (on both the gate and the suv) that senses pressure and will open back up if it senses anything touching that strip.

from what I can see in the pictures, I dont see any logical reason it would be blocked...

The power lift gate sensors are detailed on page 115 of the owner's manual. There are noted cautions about damaging or obstructing those since doing so will cause the lift gate not to automatically operate.

I agree with the comment that you cannot see into the back of the vehicle anyway from the outside. The window tinting is great and you won't need the cargo cover.

The cargo cover doesn't touch the lift gate (including the sensor area) when closed. There is about 1/2" gap between them. Also, I believe there is enough room for the drive, too. After reading the manual (for Canadians it's on page 3-33), the only interference I can imagine is with the sensors. If this is the case (I hate to say (sssh) because I zoom -zoom) this is a plain design flaw and Mazda engineers will fix it.

Doesn't bother me anymore - I am happy with the cargo cover.

cargo cover 1.jpg

cargo cover 2.jpg

cargo cover 3.jpg
The red mark on the following shows the horizontal plane of the cargo cover.
sensor.jpg

PLG + Cargo cover = ok

OMF said:
The cargo cover doesn't touch the lift gate (including the sensor area) when closed. There is about 1/2" gap between them. Also, I believe there is enough room for the drive, too. After reading the manual (for Canadians it's on page 3-33), the only interference I can imagine is with the sensors. If this is the case (I hate to say (sssh) because I zoom -zoom) this is a plain design flaw and Mazda engineers will fix it.

Doesn't bother me anymore - I am happy with the cargo cover.

View attachment 106444

View attachment 106445

View attachment 106446
The red mark on the following shows the horizontal plane of the cargo cover.
View attachment 106447

So, you have PLG AND the "cargo cover" and they co-exist fine?!? (yes)

Latest posts

Back