Doors don't lock

Hello,
I have a 2000 Mazda Protege with 95k miles. For a while now, all four of my doors do not lock when the driver's side "lock" mechanism is pushed, when the lock button on the remote is pushed, or when the key is physicaled entered into the lock. (note that the door that the key is entered into locks, but the other doors do not lock). When these methods are tried, you can hear all four doors making the "locking" sound. Since my car is out of warranty, Mazda gave a quote of over $200 - any ideas on this problem/quick fixes?

Also, I was able to pull up a a NHTSA/TSB Service Bulliten that documented the problem. Service Bulletin number is TSB# 0901201
NHTSA Item Number: 628236

Would this help me get my lock problems fixed for free at Mazda since my car is out of warranty? Thank you.

no tsb's do not 'warranty' a claim it just lets the dealerships know of a problem. did they tell you what they thought the problem was? you can only lock the door manually on one side with the key? sounds electrical, like either the main wire from the main switch is open or the switch it self is bad, or even an actuator or two i honestly dont know how they are wired but if it is electrical $200 sounds about right...at least around here and how we charge at our dealership...sorrie man and good luck

door locks

internetman said:
Hello,
I have a 2000 Mazda Protege with 95k miles. For a while now, all four of my doors do not lock when the driver's side "lock" mechanism is pushed, when the lock button on the remote is pushed, or when the key is physicaled entered into the lock. (note that the door that the key is entered into locks, but the other doors do not lock). When these methods are tried, you can hear all four doors making the "locking" sound. Since my car is out of warranty, Mazda gave a quote of over $200 - any ideas on this problem/quick fixes?

Also, I was able to pull up a a NHTSA/TSB Service Bulliten that documented the problem. Service Bulletin number is TSB# 0901201
NHTSA Item Number: 628236

Would this help me get my lock problems fixed for free at Mazda since my car is out of warranty? Thank you.

If you are hearing a clicking sound, than the plastic gears connecting to your actuator motors may be broken, or the motors themselves may just be dying. I had both problems recently. You can probably find replacement motors at a stero shop or Radio Shack. But if it is the plastic gears, you will have to go to a junk yard, or buy the entire latch/actuator system from the dealership ($90 per door). The reason the driver side door opens is because it is mechanically attached to the key slot, so when you turn the key it pulls the lock. The rest of the doors are electronically controlled.

To check, take off one of the door trims, then remove the latch with door switch attached. You will then have to open up the switch/actuator and look to see if the gear is broken in two.

Check out this link also. Someone else had a similar problem.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123661122

ncsukingpin said:
If you are hearing a clicking sound, than the plastic gears connecting to your actuator motors may be broken, or the motors themselves may just be dying. I had both problems recently. You can probably find replacement motors at a stero shop or Radio Shack. But if it is the plastic gears, you will have to go to a junk yard, or buy the entire latch/actuator system from the dealership ($90 per door). The reason the driver side door opens is because it is mechanically attached to the key slot, so when you turn the key it pulls the lock. The rest of the doors are electronically controlled.

To check, take off one of the door trims, then remove the latch with door switch attached. You will then have to open up the switch/actuator and look to see if the gear is broken in two.

Check out this link also. Someone else had a similar problem.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123661122

yea i had a problem with just the driver door not locking when i pushed the button on the door so i went to the junkyard and they gave me the whole piece for like 35 bucks when all i needed was the plastic gears.

Latest posts

Back