Turbo Lag - Gone!

vbbuilt01

:
2007 Mazda CX-7
Took my buggy in for the 15,000 mile maintenance and had the dealer update the PCM in response to Service Bulletin 01-053/06 "Lack of power or hesitation on acceleration under 2,000 RPM".

I was pleasantly surprised to feel the difference - that turbo lag is almost gone! WOW! Love it! (drive2)

Vince.

vbbuilt01 said:
Took my buggy in for the 15,000 mile maintenance and had the dealer update the PCM in response to Service Bulletin 01-053/06 "Lack of power or hesitation on acceleration under 2,000 RPM".

I was pleasantly surprised to feel the difference - that turbo lag is almost gone! WOW! Love it! (drive2)

Vince.
Do you know if that is an automatic update when it is brought in for service or only upon request? I would imagine if there are any future updates it would include all prior fixes.

meanstreak said:
Do you know if that is an automatic update when it is brought in for service or only upon request? I would imagine if there are any future updates it would include all prior fixes.

Since it's a technical service bulletin, I'm pretty certain you have to specifically state there's a problem, then they'll fix it under warranty. They won't "voluntarily" fix it. On the other hand, if there's an official recall, such as the one for the gas cap, they're compelled to fix it.

Vince.

vbbuilt01 said:
Since it's a technical service bulletin, I'm pretty certain you have to specifically state there's a problem, then they'll fix it under warranty. They won't "voluntarily" fix it. On the other hand, if there's an official recall, such as the one for the gas cap, they're compelled to fix it.

Vince.
Not really...the dealer did the TSBs on their own when we took the CX& in for its first oil change.

is most cases, they will not perform the tsb unless you state you are experiencing a problem that is close to or in the same area of what the TSB is correcting. They should be performed based on a customer issue.

vbbuilt01 said:

Vince.
The lag isn't that bad to me but I'd rather get rid of what little there is. I have also heard the car doesn't shift as much between 5 and 6 with the update.

I guess what I find strange is that they don't update them all since it seems to be an actual problem to most people. They always performed updates on my VW and my Hondas without asking even when an item wasn't a recall. Of course updates cost money even if the car is at the dealer for something else. It's not like some CX7s have it and some don't with the exception of new production. Maybe some people want the lag. LOL

Also, like I said before, it there is a future PCM update for a different problem, it will automatically include prior updates so they should just get it over with.

After putting a decent amt of miles on my car today, the hesitation update is a MUST for this car. its like a completely new, different, n refined car right now. love it. lag is basically gone. shifting is so much smoother, acceleration is much more smooth and delivers power much better.

do the update.

Ugh, I just got back from an oil change and they didn't do an update. I wish I would have read this earlier and requested it. Oh well, I'll bring it to their attention when I go back in later this week for a part I ordered.

BTW, I agree that it is stupid for them not to do these kinds of updates automatically. I can understand if it requires parts to be replaced and such (ie, if it ain't broke, dont' fix it), but PCM updates cost them nothing.

SMmooooooootthhhhhh!!!!

Why did I wait this long?
Man what a difference an "Prom" date makes.
Had mine done this afternoon and the shift pattern has changed noticably as well as a smoother feel to the tranny when shifting .

Found out that there will be an advice to all Mazda dealers comming this Friday, according to the service dept. of my Mazda dealer regarding the replacement part for the CEL problem. He said that we all will receive a notice when there are enought replacement parts.

AW- I read that some of the shift point rpms are increased. A few have noticed a decrease in fuel mileage.

I cant get the service guy to call me back about setting up a time to do the pcm update. How long does it take and can I take my cx-7 to another dealer to do this?

Mine only took less than an hour and yes, you can go to another dealer even if you didn't buy the car from them.

anyone in Canada have this done yet? I should get mine in there for the update if they'll do it.

Does anyone have a link to the actual TSB. I just got my CX-7 and it might have had this fix from the factory. Before I waste my time going in to the dealer i'd like to see if i'm affected.

I don't want to pay the fees at the NHTSA site and the other link above didn't have the hesitation TSB.

Last edited:
Back