Custom Performance Engineering's SPEED3 downpipe is finally available!

Custom Performance Engineering is very excited to release this particular product since it's an integral part of opening up the power potential for this car! We've also been working our turbo back for some time now, so seeing it finished and available for purchace is very gratifying for us. But more importantly, we think you'll be pleased with the product itself and the power gains! I mean, that's what it's all about, right???

www.cp-e.com

Like we mentioned before, when combined with the catback system, one can expect about 30whp and 40wtq!

MazdaSPEED3_Cat_Back_Horsepower.jpg

MSP3CATBACK_Torque.jpg

The MS3 downpipe is very similar to our highly successful SPEED6 downpipe. The downpipe is made from the same premium "bright annealed" 304 stainless steel that we use on our MS3 catback, and features mandrel bends for the lowest possible exhaust restriction. It can be purchased with or without a catalytic converter, but the catless downpipe will set a check engine light. The optional converter is a high-flow, all metallic honeycomb design, making it one of the most durable converters on the market.

MSP3_Downpipe_pic_05.jpg

Like our catback exhaust system, we pay extra attention to the welds. High stress and critical areas are TIG welded as opposed to MIG welded for extra strength. This will help ensure that the downpipe will outlast the life of the car. Here's a good example of a proper TIG weld:

MSP3_Downpipe_pic_03.JPG

And the downpipe comes with all the little extras you've come to expect from us. Laser-cut 3/8" stainless flanges, stamped stock-style exhaust hangers, large flex section, and the cp-e plaque welded to the side of the downpipe for everyone to admire :D

MSP3_Downpipe_pic_01.JPG

MSP3_Downpipe_pic_02.JPG

The downpipe retails for $585 without a cat, and $737 with a cat. The offroad downpipe will cause a CEL, but the catted downpipe WILL NOT. We will however be offering the cp-e Smart O2 Sims soon, which will eliminate the CEL. As always, feel free to post question or comments, or call us at 301-576-6142.

Jordan
www.cp-e.com

dcomiskey said:
price = ouchie in my bum

You're right, it may be the only downpipe available at the moment, but I can guarantee that it won't be the cheapest. We don't pride ourselves for cobbling together parts, and selling them at the cheapest price possible. We use only the best raw materials when assembling our products, and we're all mechanical or electrical engineers here. So, even though you may pay a little extra when you buy our parts, you're paying for the R&D and attention to detail. Compare our work to any of our competition's products and I think you'll understand where I'm coming from ;)

Jordan

combo please

HEY GUYS AT CPE....
Thinking of cpe triple combo - DP+Exhaust+Intake = any bargain here!

mafanchai said:
HEY GUYS AT CPE....
Thinking of cpe triple combo - DP+Exhaust+Intake = any bargain here!

mafanchai said:
also when would this be available!

Absolutely :) . Give Josh Adams (co-owner of cp-e) a call and share your plans with him. I'm sure he'll work out some deal with you for buying all three at once. You can reach him here at 301-576-6142.

The downpipes are available for purchase today, but we're in the middle of manufacturing them right now. So there will be a short wait before they're actually shipped.

Jordan

www.cp-e.com said:
Absolutely :) . Give Josh Adams (co-owner of cp-e) a call and share your plans with him. I'm sure he'll work out some deal with you for buying all three at once. You can reach him here at 301-576-6142.

The downpipes are available for purchase today, but we're in the middle of manufacturing them right now. So there will be a short wait before they're actually shipped.

Jordan
Can the CP-E guys recommend tuners to assemble the packages? I'm in the LA area, where is CP-E located?

nondual said:
Can the CP-E guys recommend tuners to assemble the packages? I'm in the LA area, where is CP-E located?

Please forgive me, I'm not sure what you mean by "tuners to assemble the packages." Do you mean install them? If so, really any reputable tuner shop should be capable of installing our products. We include instructions with colors pictures almost every step of the way. But if you would like a recommended shop in your area, I'm sure we'd be happy to make a few calls for you.

We're located in Beltsville, MD., which is a bit of a hike from LA :D

Jordan

www.cp-e.com said:
Please forgive me, I'm not sure what you mean by "tuners to assemble the packages." Do you mean install them? If so, really any reputable tuner shop should be capable of installing our products. We include instructions with colors pictures almost every step of the way. But if you would like a recommended shop in your area, I'm sure we'd be happy to make a few calls for you.

We're located in Beltsville, MD., which is a bit of a hike from LA :D

Jordan
When the warranty expires, I want to have a large chunk of cash saved up for modifications so I can get them all done at one time. I'd have someone else install because I don't have a garage and am not a 'natural' mechanic. I suppose I COULD have my brother help me though. He'd be mildly helpless with the computer aspects (XEDE or other piggyback, for instance), but he'd be indispensable on the other stuff.

More likely, I'd just need a reliable tuner who won't rip me off. LA is intimidating and I just got here. Trying to find an honest mechanic, fair-priced mechanic seems a daunting task.

nondual said:
When the warranty expires, I want to have a large chunk of cash saved up for modifications so I can get them all done at one time. I'd have someone else install because I don't have a garage and am not a 'natural' mechanic. I suppose I COULD have my brother help me though. He'd be mildly helpless with the computer aspects (XEDE or other piggyback, for instance), but he'd be indispensable on the other stuff.

More likely, I'd just need a reliable tuner who won't rip me off. LA is intimidating and I just got here. Trying to find an honest mechanic, fair-priced mechanic seems a daunting task.

Ah, I see where you're coming from now. I will ask one of the owners of cp-e to see if we have any contacts/reputable connections in LA and I'll get back to you about it.

Jordan

nondual said:

So in about three years? :)

Nutari said:
So in about three years? :)
It depends on whether I exceed the mileage before then.

In all honesty, I want to have the car paid off in about two years, so maybe I'll do it then - after saving sufficient 'emergency fund' money.

CP-E,
quick question. I might have simply read too fast (twice). The dyno graph above is for a catted pipe?

maestro said:
CP-E,
quick question. I might have simply read too fast (twice). The dyno graph above is for a catted pipe?

You got it. The dyno graph is for our turbo back with the catted downpipe.

zoom-zoomhatch said:
Sorry if it says it and I missed it, but will the turbo back(catted) pass emissions?

That will totally depend on your states emissions test standards. If your state's emissions test requires that the technician check for CEL's via the OBD-II port, then yes, it wil definitely pass. Our catted pipe will not cause a CEL, and our O2 Sim will prevent a CEL on our offroad pipe.

But there are some states like California that say that a person cannot legally replace a functional stock cat. Also, some states require treadmill "sniffer tests." For these, the car is put on a treadmill and is run through different load conditions, and the output gasses are analyzed. We can't guarantee that our turbo back with pass this particular test. In fact, no one will be able to guarantee something like that unless they test their kit in every different state.

So for the majority of US states who scan the OBD-II port, yes, this turbo back will pass emissions. But you need to do some research about your state's emissions testing program to know for sure. If you search in Google with your state, and "emissions testing" you should be able to find all the info you need.

Question for CP-E: I would like to know if you buy the CP-E downpipe, can you bolt up the stock mazda exhaust to it without modifying anything ?
I'm thinking that the downpipe may give me the best bang for the buck since the stock Mazda exhaust is already 3". Of course I know the full monty from CP-E would yield more gains, but I can't afford the whole package at this time (and my wife would kill me if I spend another $1300 after dropping over $300 for a CAI). So how bout it ? Will the stock Mazda speed3 exhaust bolt up to the CP-E downpipe without modifing anything ? Thanks a lot CP-E you guys are great!

PS> I can't wait for your tuner to come out.

flyrevs said:
Question for CP-E: I would like to know if you buy the CP-E downpipe, can you bolt up the stock mazda exhaust to it without modifying anything ?
I'm thinking that the downpipe may give me the best bang for the buck since the stock Mazda exhaust is already 3". Of course I know the full monty from CP-E would yield more gains, but I can't afford the whole package at this time (and my wife would kill me if I spend another $1300 after dropping over $300 for a CAI). So how bout it ? Will the stock Mazda speed3 exhaust bolt up to the CP-E downpipe without modifing anything ? Thanks a lot CP-E you guys are great!

PS> I can't wait for your tuner to come out.

Originally we weren't going to offer a downpipe that would bolt up to the stock catback. The stock catback has a very odd flange on it, but after a little effort we got things to work out in our favor. So you can order our downpipe and bolt it onto a stock SPEED3. The catch however, is that the stock exhaust is NOT 3". I'm pretty sure it's a 2.5" diameter like zoom-zoom said, but I will double check tomorrow and edit this post if I'm wrong.

So there will still be a small bottleneck in your exhaust. But that isn't to say that you won't notice any increase in power since you're still eliminating two cats and replacing them with one high-flow unit. In my opinion, I think your logic is fine and you should notice a nice difference in power (drive)

We're hauling butt on our SPEED6 Standback and are making good progress, but it'll be a couple months yet before we release the SPEED3 Standback. We hypothetically *could* release the SPEED6 piggyback for the SPEED3, but we're adamant about getting control of the throttle. After seeing it open only 50% at 3000rpm, we feel this is a serious restriction on the power potential of the car, and offering a partial solution to you guys wouldn't be very fair on our part. So we're going to wait until we get it done RIGHT, and then release it to everyone. So hang tight and we'll get you the goods you need :D

If you haven't seen it already, this was a great writeup Chris from AMS wrote not long ago about the MS3 engine and the throttle closing:

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123657477

36648Test3baselinesTP.JPG

Notice the red line? That's what the throttle is doing when you floor it (notcool)

Jordan

If you don't mind Jordan, could you, or anyone else for that matter, educate me (nutshell-like) as to the definition of a Standback? Everyday I'm finding that moving from a NA car to a Boosted car has me ignorant of a lot of terms.

MadOzodi said:
If you don't mind Jordan, could you, or anyone else for that matter, educate me (nutshell-like) as to the definition of a Standback? Everyday I'm finding that moving from a NA car to a Boosted car has me ignorant of a lot of terms.

Hah, well, you have an excellent excuse for not knowing what a Standback is :D

Standback is the name of our new engine controller, commonly referred to as a piggyback. There are really two, maybe three different types of engine management. A piggyback tuning controller will intercept sensor signals and alter them to make the engine to respond a certain way. For instance, to eliminate the fuel cut issue due to too much boost, we lie to the MAP sensor about how much boost the engine actually seeing. That way the engine has no idea that you're running higher than normal boost levels.

But our tuner isn't really a piggyback since it has other capabilities beyond altering sensor signals. There's a PID feedback loop which can dictate how much boost you'd like to see, instead of using a duty cycle above or below the factory settings. Its also got data logging capabilities, switchable maps, and can even be altered to run injectors directly. So it is really a mix between a STANDalone engine management, and a piggyBACK engine tuner. So, we call it a StandBack, which we think is catchy and also says that this is more than just an ordinary piggyback.

So really, Standback is just our clever name for our upcoming engine tuner :D

Jordan

Back