LSD Longevity?

tschanrm

I'm learning the basics about the Mazda Speed LSD, and debating whether or not to put it into my 03' P5. I know that the MS LSD is a conical ring torque sensing type, but how long, mileage-wise, will it be effective?

Umm, yeah. How lucky do you feel? Weld it first. My original snapped at 10% throttle in first gear and 32k miles.

I have 45k on my untouched stock LSD and I'm running 9 psi but I very rarely give it any juice in first gear and it's still intact. I'm always driving nervous just waiting. I'm hopefully getting it welded soon.

I've read all about the random LSD breakage, my question is, high HP applications aside, how long should a conical ring torque sensing type LSD last? I know a viscous type LSD wears out faster than clutch type. Is the Mazda LSD a torsen type, or a type that should effectively last over 100k with typical driving?

Last edited:
Drumfreak said:
I have 45k on my untouched stock LSD and I'm running 9 psi but I very rarely give it any juice in first gear and it's still intact. I'm always driving nervous just waiting. I'm hopefully getting it welded soon.

that's what i did too. never really punched it in first gear. and then i made a left hand turn in 2nd gear and it went. boo. it really doesn't matter what you do. it'll go one day.

tschanrm said:
I've read all about the random LSD breakage, my question is, high HP applications aside, how long should a conical ring torque sensing type LSD last? I know a viscous type LSD wears out faster than clutch type. Is the Mazda LSD a torsen type, or a type that should effectively last over 100k with typical driving?

Ahh, gotcha now. That's a good question. I know the cone type LSD in my '79 T/A only needs about 20 lb/ft to break it loose after about 70k miles (and some fairly hard use with engines making 500-600 lb/ft of torque.) That would indicate it's well over half gone and not terribly effective now. Not exactly a comparison for you, but just for whatever that's worth. I've always heard the cone type had a limited lifespan as well.

Last edited:
if the welds don't break it should last a lonngggg time. But as you c an probably see from the LSD registry they last between 30-40k miles. I'd proably get a welded one if I had to do it again.

tschanrm said:

depends which version you get. the newest ones i believe are torsen types

hoindawall said:
depends which version you get. the newest ones i believe are torsen types

i do i know which version i get? the car is now at 61000km ( aprox 40K miles) and is a 2003.5

tschanrm said:

this may sound funny.. but if ya use a msp in tipical normal driving, which none here do, you wouldn't need a LSD... so if yours breaks, put in a P5 tranny with no LSD for 200$ :)

Back