It's Time For A Rebellion, Better Yet A Revolution. My Guns Will Be Loaded!

:
2006 Mazdaspeed 6
It's Time For A Rebellion, Better Yet A Revolution Against The Stearlership!

Ok people, all my mazdaspeed 6 owners, and probably speed 3 owners as well. It's time for all of us to come together and rise up against this company and I mean it. We pay too much money for these vehicles to not be given the time of day when Mazda is 100% at fault here. THAT FAULT IS THE DAMN SMOKE COMING OUT OF THE TAILPIPE. The smoke is blueish, and it smells like burning oil because IT IS BURNING OIL and in my situation and i'm sure 1000's of many others, the factory turbo seals are to blame.

This is what is happening: I bought the car with low mileage. I never really noticed anything with the factory exhaust. That is because there are 2 cats on the downpipe and a couple more on the exhaust before the smoke exists the vehicle and by this time it has been filtered quite a bit. The first mod I did was a magnaflow cat back. At this point I started to see the blueish white puff start to roll out, when my car is idling, or sitting for a few minutes. I'll explain why this happens during idling in minute. I would then have to drive the vehicle for a half a mile and somewhat get on it, to blow it all out of the system and then everything was fine. Then I changed the downpipe to the cp-e with cat 3 inch.

Now just so you guys understand, the performance hasn't been hindered due to this smoke. The car performs excellent. With the cp-e 3inch the smoke takes less time to accumulate when the car is sitting and idling, and it is much more apparant. When I took the stock downpipe off and installed cp-e one yesterday, I put 2 + 2 together. You have to remove the factory intercooler when you install the downpipe, and when I did, there it was. A pool of oil sitting in the exit side side of the intercooler, right before the throttle plate.

PLEASE SEE THE PICTURE I TOOK BELOW. The only way for oil to get here in a pressurized system is for it come from the charge point which is the turbo. The oil is actually exiting the turbo seal on the compressor side, going through the turbo and then the intercooler, to the engine. I am actually boosting oil. I know this for sure because the hotside of the turbo is dry, the inside of the factory downpipe is dry and not dark, so it has to come from the compressor side. Also, the fact that there is such a short amount of distance or travel between the turbo and the throttle/intake, the oil is going to get in the cylinder's very easily.

I'm sure with a front mount setup which has many more feet of plumbing and tends to go against gravity in most situations, the smoke will not be noticeable, because the oil will not make it very far past the exit side of the front mount intercooler due to most piping going vertical at this point, and if it does it will not be collected but much more misted oil, not having a major effect on the smoking.

Now just so you guys understand, the smoke happens during idling and not driving because the oil isnt being broken up and boosted into the motor in small amounts, hence (misted). Technically, it is still burning while you are driving but not enough where you can see it. Idling on the other hand requires very low pressure, or vaccuum, so the oil is kept together as it makes its way into the engine, almost like a river affect, and not mist affect like when under boost. I hope this makes sense.

So all in all, THE FAILURE IS THE FACTORY TURBO SEALS. I would like everybody to chime in who have had this happen to them, pop off your intercooler, its only 2 hose clamps and a few mounting bolts, and check the exit side of the intercooler for oil. The entrance may have a bit as well obviously. If others have had dealerships give them a hard time, please reply. If others have had dealerships fix this problem for them, please give the name and address and phone number of the dealership and provide names of employees if possible.

I AM BUILDING A CASE CONTAINING ALL OF THIS LITERATURE, OTHER POSTS, PICTURES I HAVE TAKEN, BEFORE I GO TO THE DEALERSHIP AND HAVE THEM CORRECT THIS, SO I DON'T HAVE THEM DENY ME SERVICE DUE TO AN INTAKE, DOWNPIPE AND EXHAUST, WHICH HAS NOTHING TO DUE WHY OIL IS EXITING THE TURBO. I'D LIKE TO THANK THE MAZDA COMMUNITY FOR YOUR TIME AND DEDICATION AND HAVING AND THIS MAZDA FORUM FOR CREATING THE PLATFORM WHERE WE CAN ALL COME TOGETHER TO HELP EACH OTHER.

Attachments

• IMG_0049.JPG
    IMG_0049.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 997
  • IMG_0053.JPG
    IMG_0053.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 925
  • IMG_0071.JPG
    IMG_0071.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 866
  • IMG_1125.JPG
    IMG_1125.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 912
Last edited:
I feel your pain man. I'm not a Speed Owner but after seeing all the drama the MSP guys had to deal with and then the Power fluctuation issues of the MS6 guys, and also the wildly varying Dyno and power output numbers of the MS3 guys I've promised myself that until Mazdaspeed gets their act together and starts making a consistent product I will never consider buying a turbocharged car from them. You guys should fight this and get them to to something or the Mazdaspeed brand will come to be known for half-baked cars and shoddy motors and as A Mazda enthusiast I don't want to see that happen.

PS: I must also commend you for taking your time to write out a detailed explanation of your grievance and not just come in guns blazing spewing profanities. It lends your argument credibility.

Last edited:
Were exactly again should I be lookn for this oil build up? (The easiest spot to get to,Im not very handy with tools)

I have had this issue and had my turbo, manifold and pre-cat replaced by my dealer. Have you talked to the dealer yet? My experience is that I get quit a bit out of my dealer when I come in with a firm but very pleasant attitude. So if you haven't, try bein cool at first. Just my 2cents.

Anyway I had the exact same issue with smoke. The dealer was great when I brought it in and took it, diog'ed it for two days and called me to say they needed to replace the turbo and pre-cat (warm-up cat/whatever they wanna call it). the manafold was replaced because they did something to it during the disassemble. Thats the good news.

Now here is the bad news. It took Mazda 22 days to get the parts to the dealer! My thoughts are that some of the blame falls on me. I did spool it pretty hard when cold on a somewhat frequent basis which isn't very good on the seals but the dealer gave me no problems about the mods. I dont have a downpipe tho, just a CAI and custom cat back.

My dealer is awesome though. Never gives me any problems about anything I do to the car as long as it doesn't directly affect anything.
the dealer is
Tracy Mazda in Tracy CA

Hope thats helpful

jcgemt2003 said:
Were exactly again should I be lookn for this oil build up? (The easiest spot to get to,Im not very handy with tools)

Ok, first remove the black engine cover. There are two 10mm bolts holding it in place. Then remove the blow-off valve recirculation hose, and a small vacuum line. You can take both of these off using needle nose pliers, or standard pliers. Then loosen the hose clamps on both ends of the intercooler, one is by the throttle body and the other is the turbo outlet is, both are very accessible. You can use a flathead screwdriver or an 8mm wrench to do this. Then the last thing to do before you remove the intercooler is remove three 12mm golden bolts holding the intercooler in place. Once you take off the intercooler, look inside of it for oil saturating the inner lining of the black hose couplers, and look inside the turbo outlet (back of the engine bay), and look inside the entrance to the throttle body, (front of the engine bay) for oil build up. If your car is smoking, I can almost guarantee you have the same problem I have.

DaPortugee said:
I have had this issue and had my turbo, manifold and pre-cat replaced by my dealer. Have you talked to the dealer yet? My experience is that I get quit a bit out of my dealer when I come in with a firm but very pleasant attitude. So if you haven't, try bein cool at first. Just my 2cents.

Anyway I had the exact same issue with smoke. The dealer was great when I brought it in and took it, diog'ed it for two days and called me to say they needed to replace the turbo and pre-cat (warm-up cat/whatever they wanna call it). the manafold was replaced because they did something to it during the disassemble. Thats the good news.

Now here is the bad news. It took Mazda 22 days to get the parts to the dealer! My thoughts are that some of the blame falls on me. I did spool it pretty hard when cold on a somewhat frequent basis which isn't very good on the seals but the dealer gave me no problems about the mods. I dont have a downpipe tho, just a CAI and custom cat back.

My dealer is awesome though. Never gives me any problems about anything I do to the car as long as it doesn't directly affect anything.
the dealer is
Tracy Mazda in Tracy CA

Hope thats helpful

Thank you very much. This is exactly the type of information I am looking for. Thank you for the quick reply.

you might get more responses if you actually posted your rant in paragraphs instead of one big blob of text

vert said:
Since I am not real familiar with turbo motors, would a catch can help in this situation?

if the turbo itself is consuming oil a catch can would not resolve the issue

i was at Mazda today and brought up the issue because one of my customers called with the same complaint. the technician i deal with is 20+ year veteran of mazda, the number two or three rated master technician in the world depending on which internal document you want to reference. he says, and i kid you not, that it is in mazda's design specifications for this engine to use a quart or more of oil between every oil change (3000 miles vs 5000 for non-turbo engines). i will see if i can get a printout of this and post it here, but he was adamant that this came straight from Mazda USA and that oil consumption is, within these guidelines, normal and expected.

Captain KRM P5 said:
if the turbo itself is consuming oil a catch can would not resolve the issue

You bring up a good point about a catch can not working if the turbo is consuming oil. I am wondering though since the leak is not on the hotside, but a loose seal on the compressor side, a catch can may fix this problem because it will either catch oil before the intercooler.

Last edited:
jcgemt2003 said:
Does it look like this? (son of a b****!):mad:

I appreciate you taking off your intercooler in such a timely manner. That is exactly how mine looks. This problem must be evident in every last mzr disi turbo engine. I don't feel so bad anymore thinking I am the only one. VERT brought up a great idea about a catch can. Does anyone know of such a can on the market designed for our setup?

Almost all turbo motors consume some amount of oil and its normal. Even brand new, the system is put under extreme pressure and will inherently have blow by(turbo seal) because of the design. And the smoke you have pictured looks like normal steam from the system on a cold day?

ForceFed said:
Almost all turbo motors consume some amount of oil and its normal. Even brand new, the system is put under extreme pressure and will inherently have blow by(turbo seal) because of the design. And the smoke you have pictured looks like normal steam from the system on a cold day?

Its true that the motor will consume oil but he is saying this is "blue" smoke not steam. The question is how long does it linger?

If its gone 6 ft from the car then no worries but if the clound floats down the street then there is a problem.

The bottom line here is yes your motor will consume oil but if its enough to get oil smoke out of your tailpipe there is something wrong.

Captain KRM P5 said:
i was at Mazda today and brought up the issue because one of my customers called with the same complaint. the technician i deal with is 20+ year veteran of mazda, the number two or three rated master technician in the world depending on which internal document you want to reference. he says, and i kid you not, that it is in mazda's design specifications for this engine to use a quart or more of oil between every oil change (3000 miles vs 5000 for non-turbo engines). i will see if i can get a printout of this and post it here, but he was adamant that this came straight from Mazda USA and that oil consumption is, within these guidelines, normal and expected.

Hope to see that print out, Thanks for looking into this.

Back