Mass Air Flow Sensor

i just had mine diagnosed as bad - cold start would stutter and the engine speed would hunt around; once up to temperature, would occasionally stumble with throttle input; illuminated the CEL with codes P0172 (rich condition) and P0300 (random misfire). i have a new MAF on order, and we'll see what happens when i replace it.

I've heard that cleaning the MAF with brake cleaner can help out if it is dirty or has become soaked in K&N filter oil....

well, i tried the "MAF Cleaner" from Advance Auto Parts, and it made no difference. sprayed the whole flippin' can on it too.

that sounds exactly like the symptoms i'm having. the local shop had it almost 2 weeks, and they gave up today. I had the EGR flow insufficient and random cylinder misfire. I was have trouble starting the car. If i step on the gas, the car's completely fine, but if it idles it almost stalls out.

They thought the problem would be fixed by getting a new vacuum solenoid (under the MAF sensor), but that didn't work. The car's supposedly running really rich. I had them clean out the EGR valves first, but no luck either.

I'm brining it to Mazda on Monday.

I have been getting some Mass air flow sensor high and low, so i was wnondering if it can be the wiring, and sometimes it would shutter around 80K, i am trying to avoid buying a new one, but i am going to try to clean it first.

I have been experiencing the same issues over the last week or two. I am hoping to pick up a code scanner soon so I know exactly what is happening. Mechanic has been saying rich condition but the problem is still not fixed. such a pain! Goodluck with the fix! post up if you try something new or the MAF sensor comes in. njaremka where did you order the sensor from?

You guys can unplug the MAF and start the car to troubleshoot. It will set a Cel for the MAF but it will idle off base maps. If the car idles well, clean or replace the MAF.

i had to replace my MAF to fix my issue. cleaning made no difference. i also had to pay the dealer for a diagnostic, since the MIL codes were useless for this specific problem.

Back