Protege5 Help please...

JohnK

Hello Listers,

I just joined in. I have been reading about the Prodege5 for a while and decided to buy one.

Can you all recommend where to go in or around Austin, TX for a 02, 03 Protege5?

Also, I'd appreciate any advice on what to look for what to be careful about.. DOs and DON'Ts

Thanks in advance, I hope to buy one within a month and join the community.

John K
ckalyoncuoglu@gmail.com

Aside from the standard things you look for in a new used car, some of the Protege-specific issues are clutch chatter, torn motor mounts, choking on VTCS screws, and dirty EGR valves. Did I miss anything?

Read about these things on the forum before you start looking around. You'll be better informed and make a good decision.

Probably good to read the TSBs also. You can find them on the Protege FAQ.

Good luck.

Thank you all for the input. I will read through some of the issues mentioned. I have not had a car for the last 7 years (I ride) and suddenly I have to get a 4 legged animal for the baby on the way. I really want something I will enjoy driving as well as safe for a little bugger.

Again, thanks for the input.

JK

JohnK said:
Thank you all for the input. I will read through some of the issues mentioned. I have not had a car for the last 7 years (I ride) and suddenly I have to get a 4 legged animal for the baby on the way. I really want something I will enjoy driving as well as safe for a little bugger.

Again, thanks for the input.

JK
"little bugger" a classic reference to the unborn offspring....classic

Not have a car for 7 years, ouch. I go through mental with-drawl if I don't drive for a week. Props to you on that.

JohnK said:
Hello Listers,

I just joined in. I have been reading about the Prodege5 for a while and decided to buy one.

Can you all recommend where to go in or around Austin, TX for a 02, 03 Protege5?

Also, I'd appreciate any advice on what to look for what to be careful about.. DOs and DON'Ts

Thanks in advance, I hope to buy one within a month and join the community.

John K
ckalyoncuoglu@gmail.com

if you want, there are a few dealers around here. but the p5's are hard to keep on the lot. very popular. depends where in austin you are. theres mazda south on 35. mazda north on burnet, and premier out in georgetown.

I'd keep an eye on Craigslist. I know Austin has one of the most active Craigslist boards. I think I've seen two or three on in the last week just browsing. You may have to search for "protege" instead of "protege5" and sift through the posts since a lot of people will put a space in between the e and the 5. Craig's will drop the 5 by itself from the search...

trey

My father just bought his Vivid Yellow 2003 P5 from Carmax off of I-35 and Parmer. Seemed to be great service and very friendly. I get all my work done on my car at Mazda South now but before that it was at Premier Mazda in Georgetown. Hope you find a good non-abused P5. They make great family cars too.

Back