Bigger's better for all-new Z4

mikeyb

Contributor
:
01 BMW 325xi Touring
car_photo_212301_5.jpg

car_photo_212300_5.jpg

It's thought the firm plans to dev­elop a larger, more upmarket Mercedes SL-sized roadster alongside its Audi TT rival. And our images reveal the Z4 replacement will also be bigger than before, as BMW aims to tempt buyers away from the Porsche Boxster.
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=202 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="WIDTH: 10px" width=10 rowSpan=3> </TD><TD class=backgCont id=padLRTB>
quote2_left.gif
</TD></TR><TR class=backgCont><TD class=articlequote id=padLR>The engineers have focused on minimising weight to make the most of the car's performance and handling</TD></TR><TR class=backgCont><TD id=padLRB align=right>
quote2_right.gif
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
As you can see, the distinctive pro­portions of the current car remain. A long bonnet and compact cabin confirm the Z4's classic front-engined, rear-wheel-drive set-up. Most of this proto­type's black bodywork is designed to hide the production panels beneath. These are likely to retain the original 'flame-sided' Z4's swooping curves.

What's clear is that BMW bosses have deci­ded against a Mazda MX-5 Roadster Coup-style folding metal roof. These pictures clearly show a new design for a fabric top which will be electrically operated. True to the firm's "ultimate driving machine" ethos, the new model is expected to focus on behind-the-wheel thrills. The engineers have focused on minimising weight to make the most of the car's performance and handling.

The engine range will be bolstered by the company's latest technology, and is likely to include turbo power for the first time. We can also look forward to a range-topping M-badged version with blistering pace.

With lots of new models due to be launched ahead of the Z4's arrival, BMW's typically long development pro­grammes mean the newcomer will not arrive in UK showrooms any time soon. So while we are likely to see the roadster next year, it's not expected to go on sale here until 2009.

javascript:self.close();

Looks to be bangle-ized still. I'd like to see some of the non-camo'd shots.

tunersteve said:
I thought this was coded as the Z9 or Z6

I saw it called the Z9 as well. But the current Z4 is due for replacement. By looking at the size of this its not as large as the Z8.

Back