Engine Rumble at Start Up !?

Dino1956

I don't know if this is normal or not. This is my first Mazda Protege 2000. It has 94,000 Miles on it. I just bought it from a guy who had the Powertrain Warranty up untl about 6 months ago. So he did all Maintenance up until this point. Here's my concern. When I first start the car and I take it out of Park and put my foot on the brake, the engine rumbles pretty loudly until I let go of the brake & drive. Then it is quieter than a mouse and it runs just fine. It's an Auto Transmission by the way. It also does not seem like it's going to stall when this happens, more like it's going to take off. :) It may be just me being paranoid because I have no problems once I am driving. Thanks in advance !

patsfan4life said:
is it when the engine is cold, or all the time?
It's mostly when it's cold. We do have a mild Winter here in the Panhandle of Florida. But the Car is in a Garage. What would be the difference ? Thanks !

Dino1956 said:
It's mostly when it's cold. We do have a mild Winter here in the Panhandle of Florida. But the Car is in a Garage. What would be the difference ? Thanks !

thats not cold lol...

whens the last time the plugs were changed/coilpacks were checked?

do the rpms dip or raise @ all? is there any CEL (check engine light) on in the car? does the trans slip when shifting gears? etc..

B1GHAM said:
thats not cold lol...

whens the last time the plugs were changed/coilpacks were checked?

do the rpms dip or raise @ all? is there any CEL (check engine light) on in the car? does the trans slip when shifting gears? etc..
Sorry, I'm lucky I can change a Parking Light but I bought the car off a friend who had the Powertrain Warranty and had the required maintenance done up until this point. He had a problem a while back with Engine Light, but got it fixed. Something with a Solenoid. Sorry if that does not sound right. So no Engine light is on. No Trans Slip. Only at Startup, the engine kind of rumbles even when I apply brake. Once I put into drive, it is quiet.. No other problems that I know about. It's the little 1.6 Engine. Auto Transmission. DX Model Year 2000. Thanks.

Do you have an intake? Some of the cheaper brands, the top elbow is known to hit against the brake cylinder when the brake is applied in Drive. This'll be worst in cold weather.

But from what you've said in the last post, im going to say its normal. What you are saying is on cold days, when you turn on your car, the rpm will stay around 2000rpm and stay there for a few mins and very slowly come down. If you put it in drive or any other gears, it'll drop back down to the 700rpm or whatever's normal right? Mine does this too, Im guessing its just cold and then engine wants to warm up faster

sounds like that is the case. its just because the engine is cold. it just has to build pressure, warm up...get breathing basically. Once it getse going and all the sensors are going and the engine is running warm it doesn't happen because the car has adjusted and well yea...its prob nothing

patsfan4life said:
sounds like that is the case. its just because the engine is cold. it just has to build pressure, warm up...get breathing basically. Once it getse going and all the sensors are going and the engine is running warm it doesn't happen because the car has adjusted and well yea...its prob nothing
I wouldn't even know what an Intake rubbing up against a brake would look like ? I do have the low end model. The DX. I'm just thinking, like you guys said, It's just warming up and getting everything going through it. Thanks again. I apoligize for my Mechanical Ignorance. I wish I knew more, but I don't.

patsfan4life said:
OH yea...dude...totally forgot about those. ha! get em checked
But why would it only Rumble on Start Up ? Wouldn't it Rumble all the time if it were the Engine Mounts ?

here's a good way to check your mounts...open the hood and have someone watch for the engine rocking back and forth, while you are in drive or reverse with your foot HARD on the BRAKE. then give it a LITTLE gas and let off the GAS. do this a few times. excessive movement could be bad mounts. sounds to me like its just normal cold engine noise tho.

chaosProtege said:
here's a good way to check your mounts...open the hood and have someone watch for the engine rocking back and forth, while you are in drive or reverse with your foot HARD on the BRAKE. then give it a LITTLE gas and let off the GAS. do this a few times. excessive movement could be bad mounts. sounds to me like its just normal cold engine noise tho.
I'll give THAT a try guys. Thank you.

Latest posts

Back