LSD Frozen in the morning?

Speedlll

Anyone else feel that the MS3 LSD gets frozen stuck in the VERY cold weather ?

(10 degrees or lower farenheit)

I can certainly imagine the effect you are feeling. I don't think it is frozen. The LSD has clutches that run in oil. Even at warm temperatures you will feel some significant friction - jack it up, put in some gear, and try to turn one wheel. You will feel a lot of friction when the other wheel turns the opposite direction. An open diff will do this freely.

When it is very cold, the oil in the diff will get a lot stiffer and the friction will go up a lot. At the same time, the tires are cold and will have less traction. And the road surface will have less traction due to ice (even a small amount lowers traction dramatically).

The result of all these condtions when you drive is you will feel like the diff is locked because of the high friction and low traction. Drive really carefully until the friction in the diff warms up the oil a bit.

Rotus8 said:
I can certainly imagine the effect you are feeling. I don't think it is frozen. The LSD has clutches that run in oil. Even at warm temperatures you will feel some significant friction - jack it up, put in some gear, and try to turn one wheel. You will feel a lot of friction when the other wheel turns the opposite direction. An open diff will do this freely.

When it is very cold, the oil in the diff will get a lot stiffer and the friction will go up a lot. At the same time, the tires are cold and will have less traction. And the road surface will have less traction due to ice (even a small amount lowers traction dramatically).

The result of all these condtions when you drive is you will feel like the diff is locked because of the high friction and low traction. Drive really carefully until the friction in the diff warms up the oil a bit.

Yeah, this is all what I imagined was happening, I've never had a FWD car before, so just making sure other people agree that it's natural(ish).

it uses a clutched LSD and not a helical geared LSD? most factory aplications use geared LSDs because they require no break in period and never really wear out.

Yup, when it's been below 10 or so here in the mornings lately, I've noticed that the diff locks up when I'm first backing out of the driveway. Usually by the end of my street it's figured itself out.

Back