All about the Navi in MS3

ReFlex

:
Honda Accord Ex
Just wanted to know some details about the Navi in the MS3. Is it worth buying it for the extra $1,700?

Nope. You can get a garmin for $330 thats just as nice. The only thing nice is all the intergrated controls by your hand so you don't have to reach and press buttons

StealthMP5 said:
Nope. You can get a garmin for $330 thats just as nice. The only thing nice is all the intergrated controls by your hand so you don't have to reach and press buttons

that and the monitor is motorized to flip out and tilt by the push of a button, and it will hideaway when parked.

its a nice unit. Mazda's navigation unit is very intuitive and easy to use. IMHO I dont know that Id NEED it (since I usually always know where Im going) but it would be good to have. It will also point out restaurants, atms, gas stations, etc... so if you know where you are but not the closest atm, its only a push button away.

So... besides from the flipout part it does anything any other navi does... Plus you can detach an external and keep it safe or transfer it to another vehicle, a big plus compared to spending $1800 for the indash

Help me decide please

I am still waiting for my car, but my dealer has one with navi coming in he will sell me, with $500 off 'cause I didn't ask for the navigation. So, is it worth $1200?
Also, how much glove box do you lose - Is there still enough room to put the miscellaneous crap that usually collects there?
I would like to hear from those who have the navigation how well it works. Do the controls on the right side of the shifter really work OK or is the shifter in the way?
It's terrible trying to justify spending money on something I don't need just to get the car I want a few weeks earlier...(confused)

suggestion

How much does the motorized lid cost? I saw on the mp3car forums that someone used one for a carputer, and I suppose you could stick a Garmin in there.

ReFlex said:
does the navi play dvds?
Yes, it plays the navi data DVD. No, it does not play movies.
I have seen several offers of conversion devices to route external video to the display for around $500, plus you need another player to source the video.

I'm going to buy the Pioneer AVIC-D3. MSRP is $1,000 for a 6" touchscreen nav system, that will play DVDs, has video outputs (for additional monitors), integrated iPod capability (w/ a $30 cable), bluetooth capability ($100 adaptor), and more.

The Mazda nav system costs much more, and offers much less than aftermarket systems. Especially if you can do the install yourself. It was a no-brainer for me.

I've played with the Mazda Navi system (not the new ones on the CX-9 yet) and they are not worth the money. Very simplistic to get you from point A to point B. No Bluetooth, which is total crap, and I don't believe it has voice command either. Also, no integrated XM/Sirius. Just get an aftermarket one. I've got a TomTom 910, works wonders and stores my MP3s!

Does anyone know if you can buy just the motorized dash portion of the nav system. I want the factory look, but want to install my own equipment.

Choot said:
I've played with the Mazda Navi system (not the new ones on the CX-9 yet) and they are not worth the money. Very simplistic to get you from point A to point B. No Bluetooth, which is total crap, and I don't believe it has voice command either. Also, no integrated XM/Sirius. Just get an aftermarket one. I've got a TomTom 910, works wonders and stores my MP3s!
If you must buy a portable GPS unit, don't get the TomTom 910...it is infected with malware/Trojan Horse virus. Refer to THIS

Mark C said:
I'm going to buy the Pioneer AVIC-D3. MSRP is $1,000 for a 6" touchscreen nav system, that will play DVDs, has video outputs (for additional monitors), integrated iPod capability (w/ a $30 cable), bluetooth capability ($100 adaptor), and more.

The Mazda nav system costs much more, and offers much less than aftermarket systems. Especially if you can do the install yourself. It was a no-brainer for me.

Is that the best one on the market now? and if not what else would you recommend?

justa4banger said:
Does anyone know if you can buy just the motorized dash portion of the nav system. I want the factory look, but want to install my own equipment.

I called the local parts guy who said that you can't buy the motorized setup without the Nav - quoted me a price of about $2400. Looks like you'll have to hit the junkyard, or get a less attractive 1 DIN dash adapter like this one and put in a motorized screen:

http://store01.prostores.com/servlet/thespeedline/Detail?no=1

ReFlex said:
Is that the best one on the market now? and if not what else would you recommend?

Pioneer and Eclipse both make good units. Personally I like the look of the Pioneers better. I think the Pioneer AVIC-D3 is the best compromise of performance vs. price. I prefer fixed-install GPS instead of portable GPS (i.e Garmin, TomTom, etc.) because it's got a cleaner look, comes with more features, makes it easier to upgrade other aspects of the stereo system, and a bigger screen. The portables are great if you value the ability to transfer it from one car to another more than upgrading the stereo in just one car. If you want to go portable, I like the Garmin Nuvi units. The more expensive portables even include bluetooth cell phone connections, satellite radio, and mp3 players.

starlightmica said:
I called the local parts guy who said that you can't buy the motorized setup without the Nav - quoted me a price of about $2400. Looks like you'll have to hit the junkyard, or get a less attractive 1 DIN dash adapter like this one and put in a motorized screen:

http://store01.prostores.com/servlet/thespeedline/Detail?no=1

Well crap that sucks. I wish mazda had atleast put a pocket there like the MS6's. Atleast i think they have a pocket. Oh well i'm not getting that goddy looking radio din thingy. its ugly IMO.

Ahh been driving for 14 years without NAV. i think i can manage.

Back