Anyone had the software update for low pwr under 2000rpm

phebert

:
Cx-7, Galaxy Gray, GT+Tech
Just wondering if anyone here has had the software update done as described in bulletin 01-0153/06? It is titled "Lack of power or hesitation on acceleration under 2000 rpm". See

http://www.mstore2000.com/PDF_Files/01-053-06-1737b.pdf

I was thinking of asking for it - my 7 qualifies and the hesitation bothers me - but was wondering if it makes a big difference or if you notice any downside.

i dont want this update. the boost is nice once you get used to how/when it comes on and how to somehwat control it

I had the upgrade done and notice the difference. The acceleration is still the same as far as the time it takes to get up to top speed, it's just a more steady acceleration. I don't get that "dead spot" at the beginning, especially when trying to accelerate from a rolling slow speed (like when you roll through a stopsign LOL).

Mikey - you may not have a choice. Dealer won't always tell you when they do PCM updates. It may also be at some point that it's required to get another later update.

BTW, I wonder if anyone has noticed a change in fuel efficiency since this update?

one of the things i noticed when rolling very slowly through stop signs, etc is that often, the transmission doesn't shift down to 1st (or even 2nd); a lot of times it stays in 3rd until you get back on the gas. So i think part of the hesitation is the time it takes for the transmission to shift once you start rolling onto the gas again. i don't notice any hesitation from a full stop.

CXRabbit said:
I had the upgrade done and notice the difference. The acceleration is still the same as far as the time it takes to get up to top speed, it's just a more steady acceleration. I don't get that "dead spot" at the beginning, especially when trying to accelerate from a rolling slow speed (like when you roll through a stopsign LOL).

Mikey - you may not have a choice. Dealer won't always tell you when they do PCM updates. It may also be at some point that it's required to get another later update.

BTW, I wonder if anyone has noticed a change in fuel efficiency since this update?

CXRabbit, what difference did you notice exactly? During the first 2 wks that I had the car, the hesitation is really noticeable. But now, I know it is still there but I'm used to it now. I love it when the boost puts me back on my seat. So would you recommend this update?

Shaz,

At first I didn't like the update so much because you don't get that drastic "push back in the seat" feeling. However, it's a big improvement (at least to me) over the lag in the beginning... and I'm still way out ahead of everyone from a dead stop. The car lost none of it's get-up-and-go, it just all feels smoother.

Would I recommend it? I think it's important to keep the system on a new car like this up-to-date... so I do think you should get it. Plus, it's going to be difficult NOT to get it as sometimes the dealer will just do the updates during a regular service visit. On a new car THEY want to keep it up-to-date too.

I am curious if anyone else with the update has seen a change in the fuel mileage (MPG)... because mine has been a bit crappy the last two tanks. Now, that could completely be ME and the fact I do A LOT of around-town, short-trip driving... but I wonder if the update has anything to do with it or not (which is why I put the question out there). During this current tank of gas I'm purposely taking a less direct route to work now because it's all highway with only 1 traffic light, instead of all back roads with tons of stop signs -- but the distance is about the same -- I wanna see how I'll do.

Last edited:
CXRabbit said:
Shaz,

At first I didn't like the update so much because you don't get that drastic "push back in the seat" feeling. However, it's a big improvement (at least to me) over the lag in the beginning... and I'm still way out ahead of everyone from a dead stop. The car lost none of it's get-up-and-go, it just all feels smoother.

Would I recommend it? I think it's important to keep the system on a new car like this up-to-date... so I do think you should get it. Plus, it's going to be difficult NOT to get it as sometimes the dealer will just do the updates during a regular service visit. On a new car THEY want to keep it up-to-date too.

I am curious if anyone else with the update has seen a change in the fuel mileage (MPG)... because mine has been a bit crappy the last two tanks. Now, that could completely be ME and the fact I do A LOT of around-town, short-trip driving... but I wonder if the update has anything to do with it or not (which is why I put the question out there). During this current tank of gas I'm purposely taking a less direct route to work now because it's all highway with only 1 traffic light, instead of all back roads with tons of stop signs -- but the distance is about the same -- I wanna see how I'll do.

CXRabbit, I had the upgrade applied about 3 weeks ago and I haven't noticed any MPG change. I have run about 3 tanks through since then and I am still getting between 19 and 22 like I was before I took it in...

CXRabbit said:

My dealer is a pain about PCM updates, they tell me that "they applied any updates" and then I get on the highway and it's obvious they didn't.

Is there any way to check that they applied the update? do they have to put a sticker or something on your car? I just need a better way of checking.

I printed out the service buletin and I'm going to go back to the dealer and makes sure they do it, but it's just a pain to have to double check every time.

Thanks to all on these replies. The bulletin specifies they apply a sticker so you should be able to verify the update. Sounds like I will ask for the update -

r07cx7 said:
Newbie here, I had mine done couple weeks ago noticed big difference in performance.
Newbie here too, whats up guys, I just got mine last night and i also notice the lag at take off under 2000 rpm so i guess they havent done the update to mine, does it cost anything to do this? oh and where on the car do they aply the sticker so maybe i can check to see? thanks:)

Maguyver said:
Newbie here too, whats up guys, I just got mine last night and i also notice the lag at take off under 2000 rpm so i guess they havent done the update to mine, does it cost anything to do this? oh and where on the car do they aply the sticker so maybe i can check to see? thanks:)

Congrats. What color did you get? I got the Electric Blue. Click the link below and you'll know where to find the sticker.

http://www.mstore2000.com/PDF_Files/01-053-06-1737b.pdf

Had mine done when it was getting the door seals done

I had mine done.

I noticed quite a big difference from before.(ughdance)

There is more power off the line and not such a hit of power at 2500 like before but overall accelleration is good..(first)

I have noticed it now appears to let the engine rev up near 3,000 before auto shifting even at light throttle. (first) So it does not pop into 5th so quickly now..

Overall drivability is better. If you really like the hit you may not want this update as it really reduces the HIT...

Darryl

Maguyver said:
I got Black on Black, and I dont see the stcker so I guess the dealer hasent done it to mine yet, I guess when i talke it for the 1st "free" oil change Ill ask. Thanks for the info by the way :)
I picked mine up at the end of DEC. I would have thought they would perform any required updates before delivery, but I don't see a sticker on mine. I don't notice a lot of lag but I'm not sure.

my MPG actually got worse

i'm lucky to get 300 miles out of a tank, that's if I take it easy

Back