Cross shopping MP3 vs. Tiburon I4 and MSP vs. TibV6

:
Mazda RX7 '87' & Hyundai Tiburon GT '05'
I'm planning on getting another car so I'm cross shopping. Depending on what I can afford it's either going to be

2001 Mazda Protege MP3 Vs 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GS
140 hp vs 134 hp
Or

2003 Mazda Speed Protege vs. 2003/2004 Hyundai Tiburon GT

170 vs 170.

My argument for the Protege is better handling, and main argument for the Tiburon is that both it's engines respond better to mods than the Protege's FSDE.

Trying to put as much bias aside (as possible) what do you guys think?
As I've matched them up cost is pretty much the same.

I think insurance should be about the same for both too, but the protege's need premium fuel.

The Tiburon (4-cyl) is probably heavier than the Protege MP3. The MP3 is a much rarer car, beautiful styling, amazing handling, and the engine responds to mods quite well.. with forged rods and pistons it can be a beast (600+ whp).

The Tiburon has a decent aftermarket, with multiple turbo and supercharger kits available.

I'll alert my friend on these forums with a tib and I'm sure he can come in and answer any questions you have about the tib.

Mazdaspeed Protege FTW! Handles better than a crappy Hyundai, looks better, comes factory turbocharged, so no need to spend more cash buying a turbo kit for the tib. With exhaust intake unichip and 8-10psi, you will destroy 99% of tibs. :) Glad I could decide for you, hahaha:)

The new style tibby's are very nice imo. I had an '05 SE V6 version at one time, and it was a very nice car to own. Only major downside for me was there was no leg room in the back seats....

I beg to differ with you that the msp looks better than a "crappy" hyundai tiburon. The baby ferrari styling of the tib is beautiful. The msp handles better than the tib and it's a drivers race between the two in straight line stock for stock. Handling in the tib isn't bad it's saloms faster than the RSX type s but slower than the celica GT-S and with suspension mods it is very capable. The tib has more aftermarket, stronger motor than fsde in both V6 and I4. The V6 tib can be safely boosted with proper tuning to around 330 whp the 4 cylinder tib can be boosted with good tuning to around 350 whp or more on stock internals. The 4 cylinder is known for it's strength and boostability. The tib is really reliable with both engines. You hardly ever here of blown engines on tiburons (check out newtiburon.com). The weaknesses of tiburons are that the early 03 models have clutch issues, also power window and door lock actuator issues. Other than that there are no known common problems with the tib. The newer 04+ tibs have most of the bugs worked out. Another great thing about the V6 tib is that it takes REALLY well to bolt on mods. I made nearly 180 whp with just intake header exhaust. There is a new header design out which netted 193 whp on a V6 tib with just I/H/E. There are several supercharger kits available for the V6. The best one is the assassin supercharger that is awesome quality and nets you about 310 whp right off the bat and it comes with everything you need in the kit so you can literally get it and install it in a few hours and safely run 310 whp. Change the pulley diameter and you get way more power. I have the intermediate s/c option which is the Alpine stage 1 aqua cooled supercharger i'm at 3-4 psi and i put down 220 whp. The tib also turns alot of heads because of the styling. The 05-06 tibs are definitely the hottest looking ones IMO. I think the msp is also a great car that handles well but if you like the 2 door coupe look the tib is a solid great value and looks way better than it's 2 door competition such as the eclipse.
2006-Hyundai-Tiburon.jpg

here is the Top gear review where the compare the tiburon and the SC 430 lexus and they love the tib. it's 7 minutes long though but the tibs driving style is described very nicely. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhhSHyMjlYE The tib review starts around the 5-6 min mark because they are reviewing the lexus before that but it's worth it.

Last edited:
if you're considering the tiburon, why not a kia? lol

Rio, Sure the tib motor is built strong, but take into account the $$$ required to FI the tiburon. Put that into an mp3 or even msp (turbo already installed) and then whatcha got? Sorry I say the msp all the way, not to mention you really don't feel as if you're driving a sedan.

FI FSDE, how big are you? I know I don't fit very well in a tiburon, I'm 6'2 ish.

And here is a vid of some tibs that includes part of the top gear review on the tib. It has alot of supercharged tibs in the video. I love the s/c whine they make. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrJnhExdfho

Msp 35 how much can the stock FSDE hold in power without zoom zoom booming though? One could get a 4 cylinder tib for dirt cheap way cheaper than a MSP or MP3 (which isn't even turbo so yeah.) and buy a turbo charger for 3 grand tweak boost and net huge gains safely on stock internals. The money you save in getting the 4 cylinder tib can get you the turbo needed to make more power.
Yes the msp will be cheaper to get to 220 whp then a V6 tib but if ya don't wanna just do bolt ons and get tons of gains I would take the tib V6. Also I dunno about how expensive a msp is but you can get a used V6 tib in good shape from a dealer for a little bit under 10 grand. The NGM sniper supercharger costs 2,300 dollars right now and will get you 240 whp with NA mods. The I4 tib can be purchased with less than 60k on it for around $8,500 (at least according to autotrader listings in my local CT area) and ones with 70k miles are selling for around 7,700 bucks.

Last edited:
Rio Racer said:
And here is a vid of some tibs that includes part of the top gear review on the tib. It has alot of supercharged tibs in the video. I love the s/c whine they make. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrJnhExdfho

Msp 35 how much can the stock FSDE hold in power without zoom zoom booming though? One could get a 4 cylinder tib for dirt cheap way cheaper than a MSP or MP3 (which isn't even turbo so yeah.) and buy a turbo charger for 3 grand tweak boost and net huge gains safely on stock internals. The money you save in getting the 4 cylinder tib can get you the turbo needed to make more power.
Yes the msp will be cheaper to get to 220 whp then a V6 tib but if ya don't wanna just do bolt ons and get tons of gains I would take the tib V6. Also I dunno about how expensive a msp is but you can get a used V6 tib in good shape from a dealer for a little bit under 10 grand. The NGM sniper supercharger costs 2,300 dollars right now and will get you 240 whp with NA mods. The I4 tib can be purchased with less than 60k on it for around $8,500 (at least according to autotrader listings in my local CT area) and ones with 70k miles are selling for around 7,700 bucks.

3 grand??? For 3 grand in a MSP i can get internals and other supporting mods and boost 14-15psi and bye bye Tib. Sorry a car coming with facorty boost will always win the $$$ war. If i had 3 grand why buy a turbo kit when i can get a car relative to the same price already turbod and makeit balls fast. This isnt a Hyundai forum, so you wont get much support on a chicks car..lol j/k

You guys are worried about who has the bigger HP numbers, not everyone gives a s*** in that department....or makes it there only reasonto buy. They need to like the car overall imo....unless your a kid lookin for the bigger d*ck. Ive personally owned both vechicles, and i must say there two totally different cars. In the Tiburon, it feels like u sit much lower and feels more crowded (back seats suck!) The Protege has much more space, but isnt has "sporty" looking as the Tiburon. Also depends on which model you purchase too.....I had the SE V6 6-speed model w/ almost all options, sunroof, Kenwood unit w/ speakers, leather & mesh w/ Red Stitching, etc......and ive seen lower models that looked like crap. Also the shifting isnt allthat great, i believe they use the drive-by-wire shiet....and it shifts retarded. Definitely takes some getting used to.....i never did though.

And like Rio said, stock for stock.....the V6 Tibby & MSP head to head is a drivers race. The Tibby was torquey, and had nice power.....and for its weight, wasnt much of a slouch. I should be telling you to go all protege, but both vechicles are great in there own right. And the only model i would ever consider is the 05-06 models like Rio posted. The rest are blah, even the new body style that just came out.

CitizenPro said:
You guys are worried about who has the bigger HP numbers, not every gives a s*** in that department....or makes it there only reasonto buy. Ive personally owned both vechicles, and i must say there two totally different cars. In the Tiburon, it feels like u sit much lower and feels more crowded (back seats suck!) The Protege has much more space, but isnt has "sporty" looking as the Tiburon. Also depends on which model you purchase too.....I had the SE V6 6-speed model w/ almost all options, sunroof, Kenwood unit w/ speakers, leather & mesh w/ Red Stitching, etc......and ive seen lower models that looked like crap. Also the shifting isnt allthat great, i believe they use the drive-by-wire shiet....and it shifts retarded. Definitely takes some getting used to.....i never did though.

And like Rio said, stock for stock.....the V6 Tibby & MSP head to head is a drivers race. The Tibby was torquey, and had nice power.....and for its weight, wasnt much of a slouch. I should be telling you to go all protege, but both vechicles are great in there own right. And the only model i would ever consider is the 05-06 models like Rio posted. The rest are blah, even the new body style that just came out.

I agreee with most of whats said. My brother used to own a tibby. I didnt think it was quick feeling at all. As for Speed, yes not everyone cares about that. The MSP out handles the Tib by far. Braking, i dont have the specs on, but i would think it would outbreak it. Interior in the MSP is much nicer than the cheap Hyundai interiors. Also the styling, especially the 03.5, is pretty "sporty" as you said compared to the boring, kinda fem looking tiburon.

FI_FSDE - You really have to sit down and look at your goals. If you want moderate power, go with the mazda route. If you want BIG power, go with the Hyundai route.

However, in every other category I can think of (other than power and potential power) I think the Protege wins hands down.

bradicus18 said:
Did someone say 600+ whp out of an MP3???

yeah.. I have the video on my computer.. I'll try to find it on here.

This is an FS-DE in a Mazda 323 over 600whp..

I highly doubt that if you include labor you can forge the FS-DE for cheap.

A supercharger install is infinitely easier than installing forged rods and pistons.

If you want an AutoX beast: MSP + coilovers + new sway bars + 16s + Kumho Ecsta MX
If you want a drag beast: Tiburon (but why are you looking at FWD cars anyway?? (poke))
If you want a really functional everyday car: MSP (due to being a sedan with really decent back seat room)
If you care about warranties: Tiburon (I never really touched my warranty so I don't even consider this when I'm buying a car).
If you want a lot of power with a nice, linear powerband: Tiburon with or without supercharger.
If you want whiplash when the power kicks in: MSP with some mods.. a stock MSP doesn't feel very fast .. at ALL.
If you want a show car: Tiburon.. it's a more racey look, there are a lot more bodykits for it, etc. If you care more about image, the Tiburon is good because people know they are a sport coupe.. Seriously not many people know about the Mazdaspeed Protege.

They are both very good cars.

Kooldino said:
FI_FSDE - You really have to sit down and look at your goals. If you want moderate power, go with the mazda route. If you want BIG power, go with the Hyundai route.

However, in every other category I can think of (other than power and potential power) I think the Protege wins hands down.

My goal sometime after buying any of the 4 I mentioned, would be eventually 200hp. I have another car I use for AutoX though I would like to take the new as well, hopefully I could road race the new car a couple of times.

here are my priorities: (scale of 1 to 5, 5 being the most important).

Power: 4
Handling: 5
Insurance Cost: 4
Fuel Economy: 3.5 (both cars are about the same)
Versatility: 3
Reliability: 4.5
Ride:3

Last edited:
FI_FSDE posted the exact same question on newtiburon.com and it's funny to compare the responses between the two sites. On NT.com he posted that he would be happy with 170-180 whp which is exactly what a V6 tib with I/H/E gets which is pretty affordable to do. Take the money you saved and buy yourself some suspension mods on the tib to improve it's handling and you have a nice well rounded car. The tibs chassis is actually pretty rigid which is why it weighs alot (although it is the lightest V6 coupe in it's class) curb weight for a 6 speed is around 2,950 lbs for the V6.

Thanks everyone for the reponses :). They've help a few things in perspective. (though I still wonder which one would have cheaper insurance LOL)

To be fair if I got the v6 I'd probably do the stage 0 s/c from alpine, though appearently the same thing is possible with bolt ons

If I got the MSP, I would go with SMIC + 626 manifol, turbo back (with cat & resonator) and unitchip.

So each would give me reoughtly the same cost for the same power. So in a way price isn't to big of a concern, I think...

As for the MP3 Vs the Tiburon 4cylinder.

How much is a MSP turbo kit??? (the manifold, turbo, ecu, etc.) That could be put on an MP3 as a future mod, this puts things into perspective when comparing it to the i4 tib.

Back