Auto door locks

ufunny2

I have had a problem with my doors automatically locking even when I have the key in the ignition. I have always had cars that would not lock the door when you have the key in the ignition. Is this normal for Mazdas ? I have been lucky that the 2 times it has happened I have been at home and had the spare key to unlock the door. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to prevent this from happening.

That really interesting. I assume you don't have the smart-key? I have autolocking turned on, but it will NOT lock the car when it's running (if it's already unlocked) or when the smart key is detected inside the vehicle.

Hmmm...

excuse for my ignorance, but what's the AUTO LOCKING FEATURE??

I have a GT without tech package and don't have smart key nor remote start

CXRabbit said:
That really interesting. I assume you don't have the smart-key? I have autolocking turned on, but it will NOT lock the car when it's running (if it's already unlocked) or when the smart key is detected inside the vehicle.

Hmmm...
No , I don't have the smart key feature. I actually have a remote car starter. Both times it has locked on me it was after I had started it with the remote and then put the key in the ignition and was cleaning snow or frost off of my car when the doors auto locked. Usually they will not lock with the key in the ignition.

I too have an after market remote starter. Mine is programmable for the auto-lock feature. I would suggest getting the unit re-programmed.

Mine will lock the doors after I have remote started the engine, put the key into the ignition and press on the brake pedal, then the doors lock.

ufunny2 said:
No , I don't have the smart key feature. I actually have a remote car starter. Both times it has locked on me it was after I had started it with the remote and then put the key in the ignition and was cleaning snow or frost off of my car when the doors auto locked. Usually they will not lock with the key in the ignition.

I also have the factory installed remote start but w/o the smart key feature. However mine does not lock automatically even if i remote start it & have inserted the key on the ignition.. I still have to lock the doors manually..

I dont know if yours is an enabled feature or not.(dunno)

ufunny2 said:
I have had a problem with my doors automatically locking even when I have the key in the ignition. I have always had cars that would not lock the door when you have the key in the ignition. Is this normal for Mazdas ? I have been lucky that the 2 times it has happened I have been at home and had the spare key to unlock the door. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to prevent this from happening.

This happened to my husband. I mentioned it to the dealer, but they didn't think it was possible. Now I'm sure it happened to us as well. We also have the factory installed remote start without the smart key. If I get an answer to the problem, I'll repost.

ufunny2 said:

There might be an easy solution here... but try it only when you have your spare key handy...

Remote start the car...
Go to the car, get in, put the key in the ignition and make sure it's turned to "on" and tap the brake (so it is no longer in "remote start mode").
Leave the key in the ignition, get out and close the door and walk away.
See if it auto-locks on you.

It shouldn't lock on you. If it does I'd call the dealership and have them turn of auto-locking. Far as I knew, that feature was only compatible with the smart-key equipped cars anyway.

Puro... I don't know for sure that it's even available on non-Tech Package cars...

Autolocking is this: You get out of the car, close the door it beeps... once you're about 4 feet away from the car and out of range of the smart key, it beeps again, automatically locks all doors and engages the alarm.

CXRabbit said:
There might be an easy solution here... but try it only when you have your spare key handy...

Remote start the car...
Go to the car, get in, put the key in the ignition and make sure it's turned to "on" and tap the brake (so it is no longer in "remote start mode").
Leave the key in the ignition, get out and close the door and walk away.
See if it auto-locks on you.

It shouldn't lock on you. If it does I'd call the dealership and have them turn of auto-locking. Far as I knew, that feature was only compatible with the smart-key equipped cars anyway.

Thanks , I hadn't thought of that. I will try it.

cx7mom said:
This happened to my husband. I mentioned it to the dealer, but they didn't think it was possible. Now I'm sure it happened to us as well. We also have the factory installed remote start without the smart key. If I get an answer to the problem, I'll repost.

You can tell your dealer that it definately does happen. I have had it happen twice. You are not the only one.

CXRabbit said:
Puro... I don't know for sure that it's even available on non-Tech Package cars...

Autolocking is this: You get out of the car, close the door it beeps... once you're about 4 feet away from the car and out of range of the smart key, it beeps again, automatically locks all doors and engages the alarm.

thanks!

I'm thinking the people with the non-tech package having issues are not experiencing true "autolocking" -- I think it has to do with the remote start. The remote start wants to keep the doors locked because, as it's called, it something you control remotely.

You HAVE TO make sure you disengage the remote-start. In other words, you start the car remotely... but once you have approached the car and gotten in, make sure you disengage it appropriately... put the key in the ignition, turn it to the "on" position, and tap the brake. Once you do that it's no longer in remote start mode and should continue to run without attempting to lock the vehicle.

CXRabbit said:
I'm thinking the people with the non-tech package having issues are not experiencing true "autolocking" -- I think it has to do with the remote start. The remote start wants to keep the doors locked because, as it's called, it something you control remotely.

You HAVE TO make sure you disengage the remote-start. In other words, you start the car remotely... but once you have approached the car and gotten in, make sure you disengage it appropriately... put the key in the ignition, turn it to the "on" position, and tap the brake. Once you do that it's no longer in remote start mode and should continue to run without attempting to lock the vehicle.

That makes sense. I'll have to give it a try.

CXRabbit said:

CXRabbit... You are absolutely correct. I tried it this morning and it worked perfectly. I was missing the "tap the brake" step. Thanks for filling me in. My mystery has been solved.

ufunny2 said:
CXRabbit... You are absolutely correct. I tried it this morning and it worked perfectly. I was missing the "tap the brake" step. Thanks for filling me in. My mystery has been solved.

Hey, glad to help Funny... I'm glad it wasn't a problem after all and easily resolved for ya! It's always a big *phew* when you realize there's nothing wrong! :)

Mine does not have the auto lock. The only auto lock feature if I would unlock the door and leave without opening the door for 30sec it would auto lock by itself. :)

Do you know if it's possible to have your doors lock auto after your in your car and you start it.
I don't have the tec package.
Thanks

Back