Help removing Axle! (wow this is sad)

Shift_Lost

Potential Scammer!
:
Titanium MSP
Hey!

SO, Trying to Pull the tranny, And ran into a snag, I cant seem to get the Passenger side Axle out of the Hub assymbly,

I Got the 32mm bolt off and Pulled, Hammered And Cussed, It still was Laughing at me like theres more to do first.

any help? Just keep Bangin? I've done Axles before so this is odd,

Im also Guessing the "gear" looking part on the End of the axle is Part of the ABS? Just looks odd compared to my Celica's!

Shift_Lost said:
Hey!

SO, Trying to Pull the tranny, And ran into a snag, I cant seem to get the Passenger side Axle out of the Hub assymbly,

I Got the 32mm bolt off and Pulled, Hammered And Cussed, It still was Laughing at me like theres more to do first.

any help? Just keep Bangin? I've done Axles before so this is odd,

Im also Guessing the "gear" looking part on the End of the axle is Part of the ABS? Just looks odd compared to my Celica's!

You're on the right track. Unstake the drive axle hub nut, and remove it with a high impact. The 'gearing' on the axle just before the spindle allows for the ABS speed sensor (a hall effect sensor bolted to the upper steering knuckle of the spindle) to magnetically determine the rate of rotation of the axle, and thus the speed. My advice to you is to remove all the bolts from the spindle (and perhaps the tie rod, make sure to mark where the tie rod end meets on the threads if you want the alignment back the way it was) so that the spindle it is able to rotate forward and back, and side to side more freely. You should now be able to push the spindle outward enough to slide the outer end of the axle out of the hub along the splining. Try not to damage the splining, and try not to damage any of the boots. Good luck.

Thats what i did, I Unbolted the two 17mm's From the Strut, And lowered it down, After taking the 32mm off the Axle, and i figuered that would do the trick (as done with My previous Cars) But this is acting like theres more.

I hammered, and still nothing. Should i keep going? I DO NOT want to damage the Axle or the hub assembly

Is there something else Keeping it in?

there shouldn't be. did you try what I said to do with the tie rod? Once you've taken off the drive axle hub nut, you should be able to push the axle toward the transmission (while pushing the spindle outward) enough to be able to slide it out of the hub along the splining. It may help to get a dowel rod or some other piece of wood and start tapping the axle end toward the transmission while another friend pulls the spindle back. The splinings are supposed to be greased, but if this is a high mileage car they might be rust bonded, so try spraying some pb blaster in there and see if that helps. Can you see the end of the axle moving within the hub at all?

I went through this when my LSD went. I got stuck as I figured there was something else holding it, make sure there isn't and then hammer away. I used an impact hammer to lossen it then spray some WD on it and retighten it so it would sink in left it over night and went at it again. Wierd thing is it was rust that was holding it in and there's no salt on SoCal roads and the car was only at 40k

salt accelerates the process drastically, but metal will rust inevitably unless it's specially treated. If you go the air hammer or the BFH route, just make sure to put something in between it and the axle... the last thing you want to do is mushroom the axle end. Then you'll have much bigger problems than simply rust seizure of the splines.

OK you pretty much answered my question, Its the same as 95% of other FWD cars,

Will work on it tomorrow. I just didnt think it was normal to have to work so hard on Getting it out of the hub! a few kicks with the hammer has always done it with my other car. Time to Call in the Military Tools for this one..

WWMD = what would Mcgiver do?

Back