How Easy Will This Be To Install?

carter1551

:
03 Mp5
https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Also whats the issue with these filters? Why does everyone reccomend changing the filter? If i use the filter that comes with it for a month or 2 will it be bad for my car? How is the install? really easy? hopefully someone can answer all my questions. one last one, how safe is this? I dont wanna do anything to my car that could be risky as far as reliability.

carter1551 said:
https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Also whats the issue with these filters? Why does everyone reccomend changing the filter? If i use the filter that comes with it for a month or 2 will it be bad for my car? How is the install? really easy? hopefully someone can answer all my questions. one last one, how safe is this? I dont wanna do anything to my car that could be risky as far as reliability.
Havent installed that brand, but its pretty easy and straight forward. Whats wrong with the filter? Id use it if it comes with it. This will make it breathe easier and give it a lil growl.

Filter is Bleh. But everyone suggests K&N. They are a good brand, can wash them, and reuse for a long time. The filter it comes with, Hmm.. bad, not so good quality mesh. Will start to rust. Get clogged up. so on and so forth.

ok but the filter would be ok for a month or so right? cuz if i buy this i might not have enough cash to buy a k&n filter until I get my next paycheck. Also has anyone used this brand?

carter1551 said:
ok but the filter would be ok for a month or so right? cuz if i buy this i might not have enough cash to buy a k&n filter until I get my next paycheck. Also has anyone used this brand?
dude youll be fine!

carter1551 said:
i just worry because this is a performance mod and I worry about sacrificing reliability.
Wasting your time worrying. Its prob the first performance mod that everyone does. I promise it wont hurt!

how much louder does it make the engine? the protege is already a pretty audible engine especilly at highway speeds, does this make the p5 a lot more of a nuicanse to cruise th freeway?

carter1551 said:
how much louder does it make the engine? the protege is already a pretty audible engine especilly at highway speeds, does this make the p5 a lot more of a nuicanse to cruise th freeway?
Not too bad driving. Mostly start up or getting on the throttle hard.

my sri acually made my exhaust noise quiter, and i love the sounds from the engine bay, and it will take you like 10 mins to put that in.

it'll take longer to take the stock one out. And that filter is junk. It'll work, but definately change it as soon as you can.

im glad you posted this thread, im looking to get one too. im gonna change to a K&N filter whenever i get it. i havnt heard anything about the Bomz filters, but the fact im buying it off ebay worries me. as for the actual sri, im sure its gonna be fine. i may have mine powder coated to keep it from rusting and match the engine bay a bit nicer, but i think whatever you do will be fine too.

2 more questions, in the listing it says that a maf sensor adaptor is available if the car needs it. does an 03 auto tiptronic p5 need one? also it doesnt specify if its for a manual or auto, does it make a difference? i found another bomz one that says manual or auto.

You shouldnt need an adaptor, and the differences between the auto and manual are the lengths of the second pipe. The auto sits where the old air box is, the manual sits down behind the radiator beside the tranny. And yes, the manual will fit in an auto if you relocate the coolant overflow tank.

You will need an extra filter anyway.
Go get the K & N filter when you can. Then only use the one comes with the Ebay kit temporary when you wash the K&N filter and waiting for it to dry.

but the bomz ones say manual or automatic, as in it will work with either, lol i guess ill just spring for it and hopeit fits and if not return it.

It will fit, theres no fitment difference between one made for an auto and one for a manual. This one is the auto style, which will be better anyways.

What no one has mentioned yet is that ALL short rams for the protege 5 will rub your master cylinder. You will have to modify the piping to fit. IE; cutting it shorter or finding a 90degree silicone elbow.

Last edited:
Nutari said:
What no one has mentioned yet is that ALL short rams for the protege 5 will run your master cylinder. You will have to modify the piping to fit. IE; cutting it shorter or finding a 90degree silicone elbow.

?

Back