tokico Illumina?

makvli199

:
Mazda Protege Mp3
Is it worth getting the Illumina's or should i save up to get the jic magic coilovers 10-way adjustable. And what springs would go with the tokicos

I wouldn't say adjustables are pointless, just not the best purchase for most people.

I too am looking at getting the iluminas and pairing them with Eibach Prokit springs. They're a progressive spring the rides almost stock, but stiffen up when compressed. They also don't do a severe drop on the car, about 1.25-1.5 inches I believe.

illuminas are definately unnecessary for casual springs such as prokits, you'll only need them with stiffer springs

The reason why i'm asking is i love the original tokico shocks nut just wondering if the illuminas are better that and the fact i really want the jic magic coilovers.

makvli199 said:
The reason why i'm asking is i love the original tokico shocks nut just wondering if the illuminas are better that and the fact i really want the jic magic coilovers.

The Illuminas are much better than than the "blues" that came stock. The adjustability is nice if you autocross. However, if they make them, the Koni FSD shocks would be superior to both on the stock RB springs.

However, if you want a slammed look, the Tokico's won't stand up to it over time.

JIC is nice, but they are super stiff. And by super stiff I mean, back of a 5-ton truck no suspension movement kind of stiff. Nice for a smooth road, but bumps kill.

mgs_freak said:
I wouldn't say adjustables are pointless, just not the best purchase for most people.

I too am looking at getting the iluminas and pairing them with Eibach Prokit springs. They're a progressive spring the rides almost stock, but stiffen up when compressed. They also don't do a severe drop on the car, about 1.25-1.5 inches I believe.

I was looking at the exact same combination, but the word on the Illuminas seems to be all over the place, so I'm beginning to wonder if sticking with the Blues is a better idea.

For someone who doesn't AutoX or really do anything outside of the occasional spirited driving on the weekend, would the Illuminas be worth the extra, say $150-$200?

gtwo said:
I was looking at the exact same combination, but the word on the Illuminas seems to be all over the place, so I'm beginning to wonder if sticking with the Blues is a better idea.

For someone who doesn't AutoX or really do anything outside of the occasional spirited driving on the weekend, would the Illuminas be worth the extra, say $150-$200?

If you are going to just use the car for street duty, don't bother with adjustable shocks. I wouldn't get Eibach either. Progressive springs aren't that good. Fixed rate work better.

The car works well in stock trim and works well for spirited driving. You should not find the limits of the car during spirited driving.

If you feel you need to upgrade, get used to the car and understand how you can improve the car to match your driving style. Don't just throw parts at it. Typically a good set of tires and a good set of brake pads will do far more to improve the performance of the car than messing with a good stock set up.

Already got the tires and brakes (rotors & pads) taken care of. I was mainly looking at the Eibachs to lower the stance of the car and balance it out. Perhaps the Teins are a better choice? It's purely an aesthetical issue at this point for the springs, but my struts are due for replacement so I'll grab another set of the Blues. Thanks for the advice, StuttersC.

gtwo said:
Already got the tires and brakes (rotors & pads) taken care of. I was mainly looking at the Eibachs to lower the stance of the car and balance it out. Perhaps the Teins are a better choice? It's purely an aesthetical issue at this point for the springs, but my struts are due for replacement so I'll grab another set of the Blues. Thanks for the advice, StuttersC.

You are welcome. MHO, a fixed rate spring is better. Be careful on the blues, you might want to take to them about what the strut can handle safely, lowring wise.

makvli199 said:
I am planning on autox so what springs are proven to do very well in the sport with our cars

I'd keep the stock springs and get used to how the feels with your driving style. Then look at tires and brakes, more so pads than rotors, and then look at alignment and then shocks later on if you choose.

Getting used to how the car is stock is good because you need the skills before you can go to town on changing things. Plus the stock class is usually pretty competitve and more people are in it.

Springs are springs. The rates vary, but the stock ones are good for autocross. Changing the shocks once you get used to how the car responds will give you some adjustment that you use to dial it in better.

Back