first flat tire

shrexster

:
CX-7
I got my first flat tire (January 1st), so it's a great start to 2007!

For those of you that are wondering, the tire pressure monitoring system works like a charm. I was going down the highway (80 West, PA) doing about 80mph and a beep and warning light came on. I drove for about 1/2 mile to a gas station and when I got out of the car I could hear the tire losing air.

I took out the piece of metal (about an inch and a half long) and bought a plug kit in the gas station. plugged the tire and filled it with air. The manual said 32psi, but the tire says 44psi on it(I went by the tire), not sure why that is. I didnt take note of the make of the tire, I will post that later.

Anyway, got back on the road and after about 30 seconds the warning light went away and hasn't been back since.

I am replacing that tire, but it's still good, I'm wondering if I can get rid of the spare and put that one in there, anyone know if it will fit?

CX-7 GT Black - 9,500 miles

shrexster said:
I got my first flat tire (January 1st), so it's a great start to 2007!

For those of you that are wondering, the tire pressure monitoring system works like a charm. I was going down the highway (80 West, PA) doing about 80mph and a beep and warning light came on. I drove for about 1/2 mile to a gas station and when I got out of the car I could hear the tire losing air.

I took out the piece of metal (about an inch and a half long) and bought a plug kit in the gas station. plugged the tire and filled it with air. The manual said 32psi, but the tire says 44psi on it(I went by the tire), not sure why that is. I didnt take note of the make of the tire, I will post that later.

Anyway, got back on the road and after about 30 seconds the warning light went away and hasn't been back since.

I am replacing that tire, but it's still good, I'm wondering if I can get rid of the spare and put that one in there, anyone know if it will fit?

CX-7 GT Black - 9,500 miles

Won't come anywhere near fitting in spot the compact spare fits plus you would have to spring for a new rim to mount it anyway. Glad the TPM saved you from damaging the rim. BTW 44 psi is likely the max, should be inflated to what is listed in the doorjamb...32psi I believe.

44 psi is way too much like above always go with what is listed on the sticker on the drivers front door jamb

MITZA said:
44 psi is way too much like above always go with what is listed on the sticker on the drivers front door jamb

I guess I should go let some air out of those tires.

Anyone have a recommendation for a good digital tire pressure reader?

I think I picked one up from Snap-On there's alot of guages out there not sure what is the "best" on the tires rule of thumb adjust them in the morning before the car is driven as the tires will heat up causing readings to flux. Also if your in a generally cold area check once a month temp variances can cause air loss also. I'm in the rust belt so one day its 20 next 46 it plays havick on my tire pressure. Over inflation can cause irregular wear to the center of the tire over time.

Last edited:
Back